All UTV's power steering

racemx587

Standing On My 4 Big Horns SUCKA! - UTVUnderground
Mar 28, 2009
Has anyone tried a Charlynn power steering on their utv? We're setting one up on ours, the unisteer isnt strong enough and we are having problems with the servo and ram set up. Just curious how this is going to work... hopefully we'll get it dialed in once and for all

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Yea, we already have the pump and reservoir in place from our servo/ram setup. We had to machine a pulley to go on top of the clutch to power it all. The guy did a real clean job

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Why did you decide to go with the hydrolic one versus the aftermarket electronic one available from Polaris?

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
So how did it work out for you? Im interested in doing the samething for some ultra high power steering. Any pics?

It worked out really well. I had lots of trial and error over the last few years, but now it's pretty dialed. I would like it to be a little more sensitive because I have trouble making tight turns (you can read why in the thread below, I don't want to get too off topic here). My biggest complaint is that the p/s pump eats up a lot of power from the stock rzr motor. I think if I can get someone to help me set up the clutching correctly it wont be as big an issue. I'm planning on seeing how the SR1 class evolves because I'm interested in jumping into that. I feel the big power of the R1 motor will make the p/s work much better.

Here's a link to the thread on my build http://www.utvunderground.com/f56/rzr-s-build-hello-2664.html
There was quite an evolution over the last two years, but now we really got the hand controls and power steering dialed in (pages 3,4,5)

Let me know if you have any questions... All I've though about the last two years is getting this right haha. I've looked into everything...

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Why did you decide to go with the hydrolic one versus the aftermarket electronic one available from Polaris?

Long story short, I got a spinal cord injury racing motocross a few years ago. Many of my arm muscles were effected i.e. triceps, pecs, hands, the list goes on. Naturally, this makes my arms very weak. I needed something with adjustability and constant power flow of hydraulic power steering. I would have loved to go the simple rout with the electronic set up but it wasn't strong enough for what I was looking for. I tried one sitting in a Prowler. If I were to do it over again, I would like to work with a company to do a one-off super strong electronic unit, or at least one with some adjustability. The hydro set up bogs down the stock motor quite a bit, takes up quite a bit of room, was difficult to instal, and can get messy with fluids. All in all it was however a fun project and I'm back out at the race track.. so I'm happy :D

If you're interested in it check out the link to my build thread in my post above. I have lots of pics and some pretty in depth exlpanations.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Have you thought about using an electric over hydraulic power steering pump out of a Toyota MR2?
Installing the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering System
I dont know if it would deliever the pressure & volume you need at low speed but its worth a look if you havent already.

I know you have invested a ton of time in hydro but I personally think electric is the way to go. Less weight, no fluid, easier to plumb/wire, the problem I found is making something out of a car work.

Saturn’s and other small GM/Toyota/Nissan/etc products have large electric power steering gears (LIKE THIS ONE) that delivered incredible force to the steering wheels, to the point of where they can lose feed back of feel.

The problem I ran into (before i gave up and went with a Unisteer) trying to make one of these units work is communication. These units have their own control box that uses a serial data link to communicate with the vehicle ECM, it looks at vehicle make, model, chassis, engine, engine speed, vehicle speed, gear selection, throttle position, steering input, and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember to determine the amount of assist to provide.

From what I understand Unisteer/Wicked steer units deliverer a fixed 30% of assist, you may need more like >80% to deliver the steering speed & assist at low vehicle/engine speeds for tight turns, electric can provide this easier over hydraulic IMO.

Then their is FLAMING RIVER , they make these kits for street rods and address the issues I detailed above but that technology comes at a pretty steep price.

So, if you have a smart tech buddy that likes to tweak out on stuff like this…..one could take a electric gear out of a Cobalt , develop some sort of external ECU that allows one to dial in assist, and do it for around $1K…………

Last edited:

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Have you thought about using an electric over hydraulic power steering pump out of a Toyota MR2?
Installing the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering System
I dont know if it would deliever the pressure & volume you need at low speed but its worth a look if you havent already.

I know you have invested a ton of time in hydro but I personally think electric is the way to go. Less weight, no fluid, easier to plumb/wire, the problem I found is making something out of a car work.

Saturn’s and other small GM/Toyota/Nissan/etc products have large electric power steering gears (LIKE THIS ONE) that delivered incredible force to the steering wheels, to the point of where they can lose feed back of feel.

The problem I ran into (before i gave up and went with a Unisteer) trying to make one of these units work is communication. These units have their own control box that uses a serial data link to communicate with the vehicle ECM, it looks at vehicle make, model, chassis, engine, engine speed, vehicle speed, gear selection, throttle position, steering input, and a bunch of other stuff I can remember to determine the amount of assist to provide.

From what I understand Unisteer/Wicked steer units deliverer a fixed 30% of assist, you may need more like <80% to deliver the steering speed or assist at low vehicle/engine speeds for tight turns, electric can provide this easier over hydraulic IMO.

Then their is FLAMING RIVER , they make these kits for street rods and address the issues I detailed above but that technology comes at a pretty steep price.

So, if you have a smart tech buddy that likes to tweak out on stuff like this…..one could take a electric gear out of a Cobalt, develop some sort of external ECU that allows one to dial in assist, and do it for around $1K…………
Very, very interesting. Thanks for the info.. I've put a ton of time and $$$ into my setup but am always open for new ideas :cool: I'm going to look into this a lot more..

I see you'll be at Miller Motorpark this weekend, if it's cool I'd like to meet up and chat with you about this stuff. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Btw.. I see your screen name over on proride and race-dezert, looks like we run in the same circle haha

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Wow Doug, You have done a lot of research. Thanks for the info, I will probably go with the electric from unisteer like everyone else.

Or build a bunch of HP and go with the Charlynn......Its all about Money Money Money

racemx587

Mar 28, 2009
Wow Doug, You have done a lot of research. Thanks for the info, I will probably go with the electric from unisteer like everyone else.

Or build a bunch of HP and go with the Charlynn......Its all about Money Money Money
Dude don't do the Charlynn!!!! haha. Too heavy feeling and it always lags behind. If you're going hydraulic stick with a servo/ram setup. If you really want to though, I've got a lightly used Charlynn for sale haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000