Polaris rzr XP1K Turbo?

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
I'm in the market for the best Sport SxS I can get my hands on. You should of seen some of the potential riding locations I saw oversees :p

I have decided on the XP1K. Which brings me to my next inquiry. I want the dealership here in CO to put a turbo on it before it leaves the shop. I have limited research in this area. I've read about Aerocharcher, MCX, Packard Performance and a few others. I have also seen some of those apex engine swaps are the way to go.

I'm asking because I don't have experience with this and hoping someone can chime in and give me some advice. The one video I watched where a stock XP1K raced against a XP1K with a turbo. The turbo won obviously. But it didn't seem like a big difference. Seems to be about $100 a foot difference :D

1. Which turbo kit should I buy or
2. Drop the turbo idea go apex swap
3. None of the above, stock is best

Much respect,
RiP

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Buy a nice used sand car and be money ahead.
I respectfully disagree. some people really love sxs's I would love to buy a xp1 and be able to put some money into it. I know you would be better off power wise and money wise to buy a sand car but many of us prefer sxs's over sand cars. don't get me wrong sand cars are cool but they are limited to just the dunes, you can take sxs's anywhere even if they have 200 hp. :) but to answer the original question I think a turbo would be your best option but I don't have experience with Polaris and am not sure how they do under boost.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
i really doubt any dealer will have the know how to install and tune a turbo.
That was my 1st thought. The dealer here in Denver, CO states they do all of this. It's my understanding that it's pretty easy to do and software explains it all in detail how to fine tune the system.

But since you said that, who other than a Polaris dealer with a Polaris cert. engineer would you recommend doing this?

Thanks for the replies.
Much respect,
RiP

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
If your up for it we have an amazing tuner in Utah his name is cody Phillips I know him personally. he is constantly going around the world to tune sxs's he works with k&t performance. you would not be let down.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
I respectfully disagree. some people really love sxs's I would love to buy a xp1 and be able to put some money into it. I know you would be better off power wise and money wise to buy a sand car but many of us prefer sxs's over sand cars. don't get me wrong sand cars are cool but they are limited to just the dunes, you can take sxs's anywhere even if they have 200 hp. :) but to answer the original question I think a turbo would be your best option but I don't have experience with Polaris and am not sure how they do under boost.
Well said! Couldn't have said it better myself. Without sounding like a parrot, they are relatively limited to the dunes. Here are some of my own pro's of why I would own a SxS over a rail:

1. Where I can go
2. 2x4 / 4x4 option
3. Price of gas!

If I was to buy a sand rail, it would HAVE to be one that's insane. With that being said, gas at an average of $3.30 a gallon in the dunes just isn't practical. Rather fill up the rzr and go for 6-8 straight hrs.

I wouldn't attempt in a lifetime taking a rail some of the places I have seen the SxS's go... Than again, those rock crawlers are nuts. But those are more like SxS's than they are rails.

Much respect,
RiP

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
If your up for it we have an amazing tuner in Utah his name is cody Phillips I know him personally. he is constantly going around the world to tune sxs's he works with k&t performance. you would not be let down.
Around the world to tune SxS's... I am seriously missing something here. Perhaps some turbo's are a lot harder to tune than others? How is it so complicated that a Polaris engineer can't accomplish this?

Much respect,
RiP

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
dont think they have a turbo kit yet for the xp1k just the xp 900.
RJ Anderson sure as hell has one for his. Of course he does lol.

I talked to a rzr dealer in CA. It's under development? Which brings me to my next question... Why the dealer in Denver told me I can turbo the XP1k :confused:

Much respect,
RiP

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
RJ Anderson sure as hell has one for his. Of course he does lol.

I talked to a rzr dealer in CA. It's under development? Which brings me to my next question... Why the dealer in Denver told me I can turbo the XP1k :confused:

Much respect,
RiP
that was a custom one off set up mcx built for it. not to mention the custom built kroyer engine to handle the boost. if you read the write up on it in goes into all the details. it will be a bit till all the performace parts come out

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
that was a custom one off set up mcx built for it. not to mention the custom built kroyer engine to handle the boost. if you read the write up on it in goes into all the details. it will be a bit till all the performace parts come out
I'd imagine the wait will pay off :D

Thanks for the replies.
Much respect,
RiP

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Cut to the chase...a combo of Kroyer Racing Engines and MCX will get you there. Just say'n. BTW you picked a great ride in the XP1.

http://www.mcx-usa.com/

My advice would be to get the RZR, get window nets, 5pts, get the suspension and tire/wheel combo set up to your liking...then put some time on her. You can THEN tell the engine builder or turbo guy exactly what you are looking for. Have fun and be safe! :)

ps...don't forget clutching.

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Cut to the chase...a combo of Kroyer Racing Engines and MCX will get you there. Just say'n. BTW you picked a great ride in the XP1.

http://www.mcx-usa.com/

My advice would be to get the RZR, get window nets, 5pts, get the suspension and tire/wheel combo set up to your liking...then put some time on her. You can THEN tell the engine builder or turbo guy exactly what you are looking for. Have fun and be safe! :)

ps...don't forget clutching.
Your right. I should invest in some accessories 1st than look in to turbo systems. From what I am gathering right now there isn't a turbo ready yet anyways.

Thanks for all the advice.
Much respect,
RiP

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Around the world to tune SxS's... I am seriously missing something here. Perhaps some turbo's are a lot harder to tune than others? How is it so complicated that a Polaris engineer can't accomplish this?

Much respect,
RiP
I'm not trying to be an ass but yes absolutly it is very complicated. And a good tune is even harder than building the motor. And no a Polaris engineer can not build/tune a Sxs like some of these costume shops can. Google Cody Phillips and tell me you would rather trust your 25k dollar machine to a mechanic that is paid to fix warrantied parts

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
I would get in touch with Mark Queen at Queen racing. I know he's working on a 1000 turbo as we speak. Plus I don't think you'll find someone that know turbo's and these motors more than he does... just saying..

Apex is a sick motor, but you can do a built Z1 motor with a turbo and still save some guap...

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Becuase when you put as much money as some people have in there engines it pays to have it tuned by a competent tuner. They can make you engine run awesome or blow your engine all over the dyno and charge you to clean up the mess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ripper

4 x IED survivor
Sep 19, 2013
CO, AZ
Very, very informative. I had no idea it was that complicated. So while we are talking about it, how much does it cost for a competent tuner to set up a turbo?

Much respect,
RiP

Queen Racing

Make RZR's go BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP - UTVUnderground A
May 4, 2010
Lake Havasu City, AZ
www.queenracing.com
I'm not trying to be an ass but yes absolutly it is very complicated. And a good tune is even harder than building the motor. And no a Polaris engineer can not build/tune a Sxs like some of these costume shops can. Google Cody Phillips and tell me you would rather trust your 25k dollar machine to a mechanic that is paid to fix warrantied parts
Yep, I make my living tuning Jetskis and SXS's all over the world, I am full time tuner for Sheikh Hamdan's SkyDive Dubai Jetski Race team. There are only a handful of competent tuners in the world that can master full standalone ecu systems.. Cody is one also..

Also, you get what you pay for, if someone tells you you can leave motor stock and run pump gas.. Turn and run! It will cost you 3x's as much to have just done it right the first time! Boost=Race fuel! I dont care how you want to do it, its just a fact!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000