PCI Race Radios and Polaris RZR Engineer Two-in-One UTV Intercom and Radio Communication

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

PCI Race Radios and Polaris RZR Engineer Two-in-One UTV Intercom and Radio Communication

Comlink RTX to Hit the Market on February 1st, 2016

Signal Hill, California, Feb 1, 2016 – PCI Race Radios and Polaris RZR are excited to announce the new Comlink RTX. The Comlink RTX combines PCI’s exclusive intercom and two-way radio kit in to one simple, small housing unit. The Comlink RTX is designed for all Polaris RZR models, and is also compatible with all side by side make and models. It will be available exclusively from Polaris Dealers and PolarisRZR.com February 1st, 2016.

The all in one Comlink RTX allows voice activated communication between driver and passengers and includes a push to talk button for two-way radio communication to other vehicles. You can connect your cell phone or personal music device through the provided Music/Phone adapter, which automatically mutes the music to 25% volume when speaking in to the microphones. It comes equipped with 5 two way radio channels to communicate with other vehicles using the same frequency. No FCC license is required for use.

“Currently to talk within and outside of the car, you have to install a radio and an intercom. We wanted to engineer something simple and user friendly that has the same capabilities as all our leading products. The difference with the Comlink RTX is the ease of having one device instead of two and there are no batteries to charge. It's designed for easy, clean installation with standard tools that takes less than an hour,” explains Scott Steinberger, President of PCI Race Radios.

The Comlink RTX is capable of communicating up to 30 miles in optimal conditions and a minimum of 1.5 miles in heavily wooded areas and rugged terrain. Retail price is $699.99 and is covered under PCI’s two year warranty. Included in the Comlink RTX Package is the Intercom & Two Way Radio, Music Adapter, Velcro Push to Talk Button, Two 12’ Helmet Cables, External Antenna and Coax. Sold Separately are In Helmet Headsets, 4 Passenger Upgrades and a mounting bracket that will provide a perfect fit and finish with easy installation.

The Comlink RTX will be available at Tech & Contingency at the 2016 King of the Hammers and 2016 Polaris RZR UTV World Championship on February 19th.

For more information and a full list of PCI Race Radio products, visit www.pciraceradios.com.

About PCI Race Radios
For over 40 years, PCI has been the leader in Racing Communications, Navigation and Safety Equipment. Boasting the highest quality components in the industry, trackside support at races, Weatherman Relay and customer service and support that is second to none. For more information, please visit www.pciraceradios.com.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Very cool concept of integrating the two units into one. I wonder what the wattage is? I'm guessing 2-5 watts? It looks like they are using Commercial Band / FRS channels as they mention you do not need a FCC License, which is what a CB radio would use. I dont see how your going to get a 30 mile range, even in perfect conditions, as those run line of sight. I wonder if you can choose or change the 5 channels you get? I could see this 2 in 1 radio being a hit, but as more people buy and use it, with only the same 5 channels you are going to have allot of traffic and people walking all over each other. This is why VHF channels are popular to use.

Either way, very cool concept and I think it has allot of potential, as it simplify s the whole radio / intercom system.

Last edited:

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
So I'm guessing that if someone in our group has this setup they won't be able to talk to the rest of us with a VHF radio setup....True ??

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I called PCI and got some details regarding this 2 in 1 Comlink. It is on VHF channels, its on a higher frequency of VHF, channels that are not commonly used with the racing crowd. These 5 channels are called MURS. (Multi Use Radio Service) All of the Comlink RTX's will have these same 5 channels. As long as you can program your other VHF radios, you could make them work with the Comlink RTX. I was told you would be given a channel frequency sheet with the kit, or PCI could get you one if needed. The channels programmed into this kit are not re-programmable, unlike a regular radio or handheld.

The reason for the comment about not needing a FCC license. Its a Polaris thing, as they don't want any liability. Even though legally when using VHF you are suppose to have a license (No racer does) the FCC does not consider anything under 2 Watts as needing a license, when using MURS. This Comlink RTX is only 2 Watt's, so its less then your standard 5 Watt handheld radio. The guys at PCI did not write or release this Press Release (Polaris did) and agree the claim of transmitting 30 miles in perfect conditions is a "Big Stretch" and is misleading a bit. I was told they did not know that was in the Press Release and were going to check it out. In good conditions a 5 watt handheld will get around a 2-4 mile range. If on a mountain top in a clear line of sight you can get more. Also in most cases you can receive from a farther distance then you can transmit too.

The original intent of building this kit was to simplify the whole radio communications thing and make it easier and more available to the UTV crowd across the country. Radio's & intercoms in buggy's is more of a West coast thing as this is where the off-road racing is at, and where this was all driven from. This kit gives the guy outside of the West coast desert scene a way to walk into his Polaris dealership and buy a complete plug & play kit. Those guys dont need the 25+ channels or the Weatherman Channel like we want or need out West. Also this Comlink RTX is only available from Polaris or their dealers. PCI cant sell you one. I'm not even sure if PCI is actually building these in house or if they sent production overseas.

Overall its a very cool concept, with some limiting factors that might not work for some. Who knows, if this is a hit, maybe PCI would make a kit that they can sell that would have the option of more channels, programmable channels and with more power.

Last edited:

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I think it is a great concept and i am glad to see PCI pushing the envelope on new ideas.

This would be a very limited kit for us west coast race and dune guys but it is a step in the right direction for innovation.

I see this as a great trail riding kit and a different setup then the rugged handheld and the mic cord and the mount and all of that for the trail riders.

It sounds like PCI was handcuffed pretty well by Polaris upon making this.

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
EDITED:

To clarify, this comes with 5 programmed RTX channels. Confirmed, you CANNOT have it programmed to be on Weatherman, Mag 7, BFG pits, etc if that's what your buddies all use with existing PCI & Rugged setups. They can all have theirs program to one of the RTX channels.

PCI can re-program these channels at events they attend (Hammers, UTV Champs, MORE), or if you ship it to them.

Below is a list of channels, and you will see the RTX channels at the bottom.

PCI Race Radios
2888 Gundry Avenue
Signal Hill, CA 90755
(800) 869-5636

STOCK VHF FREQUENCY LIST

CH. FREQUENCY NAME

1 151.625 WEATHERMAN

2 151.715 BFG RELAY / SNORE / MORE

3 154.980 BAJA PITS

4 151.685 NETWORK

5 151.925 CHECKERS 1

6 150.860 FAIR