Official UTVUnderground 2016 Baja 1000 Update Thread

Never happy

Jun 25, 2013
I was impressed watching you and Marc on the tracker early on (a device better referred to as, "The Slacker"!). You started in front of him, then he passed you early on at which time I expected to see him start putting distance between the top 2 points contenders. Until he broke down around RM 80 or so, you were never more than a visible dust cloud from each other. Once passing Marc, it was game on for you guys as your pace quickened, and the tracker had you keeping pace with the lead 2 cars. But if one believes the tracker, everyone was dicing back and forth the entire race, which I'm sure wasn't the case.

If they could just make the tracker refresh simultaneously for all teams in a given class, then the info would be much more usable. Perhaps the alternating refreshing cycles the "Slacker" uses is by design, as it is not in place as a tool for competitive purposes, but possibly as a tool for reference to the promoter for logistics and reconnaissance purposes.
At any rate, i was judging my emotions and opinions purely on what the tracker was providing, and never intended to pass judgement on your crewing decisions. I appreciate it that your post was not an aggressive attack on that assumption. Honestly, I was pulling for you guys, because I know enough about all of the hard work and sacrifice that goes into a first class championship. The Murrays position never crossed my mind until you guys quit running. I think we can all agree that if any team was to benefit from you two dropping out of the championship race, that the Murrays were most deserving of it.

Ironically, and possibly consequently, you mentioned the heartbreak of watching Marc pass by as your car sat dormant course-side somewhere around Borrego, and you had no way to respond. At the time he passed your broken dreams, he was on pace to finish the race before the cutoff time. Then, a hardware failure (I was told) sidelined him, and by the time his crew could reach him and make repairs, too much time had lapsed to realistically finish for the championship win. Being the competitor that NEVER quits, Marc pressed on, only to finish a couple of hours over the allotted time. It was the second consecutive race that a roll took Marc out of competing for a class Championship, as his roll over in the Last BITD event eliminated him from most any chance of winning the points in that series' last event coming up when 'Pops' Simms did well driving for Branden (no disrespect Branden, but I don't know your fathers name).

On a side note, regarding your fuel delivery issues and 35 MPH top speed:
We had the exact same issues in our 2nd year racing the Maverick. It happened as we were headed to the starting line at SCORE's Imperial Valley event. The car idled, revved, and accelerated normally until it hit 35 MPH, where it just stopped progressing, and ran as though a governor was set at 35 MPH. After exhausting all probable causes, The Murrays rushed over to help with their laptop and tapped into the 'BUDS' system. This was after they were nearly strapped into their machine to head for the start, only 5 minutes before starting time. Dudes are the best. Couldn't solve, or even locate the problem, so I sent Marc off, closely timing a 35 MPH race that lie ahead to be sure we could at least get finishing points. Found out later, it was simply the number one spark plug wire, on the car for its 3rd race, and visibly in new condition. Not disconnected, but somehow lost continuity between the ends. It was the only thing we didn't check, as the car did not appear to be "missing", or accelerating roughly. Perhaps this experience may give you some insight to your expected fuel delivery issues. You'd surely kick yourselves in the ass if a plug wire was your problem! Awesome effort guys, race on!
Tracking has definitely given us some new advantages for the racer/chaser... we were getting better feed back from texts in the states than our race radios and sat phones! I am stoked that murrays got the championship if anyone deserves it it's them (and I'm secretly a can am fan myself) just wish the would've got it done in the x3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zambo

Nov 13, 2016
We actually pulled the filter at rm 209 thinking that was the problem. I believe the pump might have cracked at the pick up in the cell. Seemed to be cavitation for starvation for fuel but the pump was still running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I had a similar problem with my oil pump a couple years ago in the truck the pickup hood on the end of the pickup tube broke off and we would just cavitate once any rpm built up.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Yes! ^^^ The 'package' price is $135k. That is a lot of 'K's' IMO. Haha

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Look at the last picture in the ad and you will see one of the new X3's sitting in the shop. Plus Thad is building a new race X3 for someone? Hmm?? MonsterX3. Yeah he's back with Can Am.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Busted! Haha. You are one sharp hombre Todd. I don't get the move. Marc is usually pretty loyal to his sponsors. I understand the new Can-am's are pretty badass, but I also know that whenever Can-am improves upon their flagship, Polaris always answers back on their next release. Marc's getting older, and the class is getting stronger. it is unlike him to choke under pressure, as he has in the last 2 races where he rolled his chances of a championship away. Maybe change will do him good.
I must admit, it would be nice to build a sequel to the Monstermav, but I ain't invited!
$135K huh? Wow! Is a used racing UTE really worth that much these days?

Reactions: Patt107

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
3 cars and 30k in parts, that number isn't far off. Just hard to buy 2 race cars I'd assume.
That makes more sense. Yeah, with the amount of parts Marc stockpiles, it's probably a pretty fair deal. Now, like last time he switched brands, he has a shop full of slightly used utv with the wrong livery on the side that he will need to sell off. Sure is a good problem to have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000