Official UTVUnderground 2015 Baja 1000 Photos / Story / Results

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Awesome pics of everyone! Well almost.....How is it I can start second at the biggest race of the year and nada but if I get nerfed or assplowed 200 miles into a race out in the middle of BFE the fucking whole video will be posted in living color all over the Internet. There you go Watson I'm ranting now! Lol

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Awesome pics of everyone! Well almost.....How is it I can start second at the biggest race of the year and nada but if I get nerfed or assplowed 200 miles into a race out in the middle of BFE the fucking whole video will be posted in living color all over the Internet. There you go Watson I'm ranting now! Lol
Great coverage guys!!!! As always you guys kill it!.

Par for the course.....Felix will bitch about something......always!

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
FYI I posted every image that our 3 photogs sent. I'm sorry if you were missed. I know thy try hard to get everyone but they have to move and we are limited on who they see before the sun goes down. Hope you all understand. It's not selective on anyone's part.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
FYI I posted every image that our 3 photogs sent. I'm sorry if you were missed. I know thy try hard to get everyone but they have to move and we are limited on who they see before the sun goes down. Hope you all understand. It's not selective on anyone's part.
I'm not worried about it I'm sure was just going too fast for them to focus. Mostly I didn't want to disappoint old easy chair Ironside and Bigg Jim. You guys do a great job and I know everyone appreciates it.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Did you have someone pick you up some of them sun glasses? Haha....seriously though nice pics and write up!

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Joey D said:

I've always had trouble understanding why (in this case) 24 cars...at the premier race of the year (imo)..can't even get their pictures taken (published) front, rear and side while they're sitting there on the starting line (or on how many opportunities beforehand). Everybody knows that photogs have to move and that coverage decreases from there (individually) yet I have a hard time believing that there isn't anybody who can be paid within 50 miles from the start who can't capture a simple action shot of each car either. We don't need wedding photo quality we need new (or old) offroad heroes (thanks Wayne).

This is a racing series involving cars that a LOT of people have in their garages and a fan base that is hungering to learn more about the people who race them in the nastiest places on earth (especially). Fans want to know just as much about what Matlock brought to the table this year in (detailed) living color as they do teams who are (similarly) hoping to be new giant-killers in this class. We want to know who is sponsoring them. Whether their designs held up just by looking at them. Heck, even a picture of who is racing the blessed thing to even start would (hopefully) spark fan followings.

I appreciate the UTVU coverage very much and applaud the people who bring it to us. Yet if I can't even pick up an image as to who the winner is racing against or what the competition's machines even 'look like'(?)...then we're back to NASCAR radio coverage (only) in the deep South years ago as being infinitely better in terms of rooting for one driver over another (which is the #1 concept in race marketing next to giving ALL sponsors/aftermarket companies the needed exposure).

Hats off to the 3 people who took these shots. I simply question how they managed to gloss over everybody else who was there for the two seconds it would take to include those making the race legitimate (by virtue of their numbers alone) and frankly one of the few "power to the little guy" pure offroad legacy racing opportunities left.

Last edited:

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I wasn't really worried about it I was just joking. Of course everyone places a high value on a great shot of their race car on the course but shit happens. The reality is the focus is on the factory cars first. I made a season long video in a series I raced that I tried to get everyone into. That was after an entire season of filming and it was amazing the people I missed or had very little footage of. It's not as easy as it looks. I didn't see the Rookie car in the pics either.....

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Can't believe there are no shots of starting line queue and/or the first corner when everyone is so pretty. There were 2 photos of the Rookies (nice guys by the way), one of Cory's Can Am and one of the Arctic Cat. Oh well.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey D said:

I've always had trouble understanding why (in this case) 24 cars...at the premier race of the year (imo)..can't even get their pictures taken (published) front, rear and side while they're sitting there on the starting line (or on how many opportunities beforehand). Everybody knows that photogs have to move and that coverage decreases from there (individually) yet I have a hard time believing that there isn't anybody who can be paid within 50 miles from the start who can't capture a simple action shot of each car either. We don't need wedding photo quality we need new (or old) offroad heroes (thanks Wayne).

This is a racing series involving cars that a LOT of people have in their garages and a fan base that is hungering to learn more about the people who race them in the nastiest places on earth (especially). Fans want to know just as much about what Matlock brought to the table this year in (detailed) living color as they do teams who are (similarly) hoping to be new giant-killers in this class. We want to know who is sponsoring them. Whether their designs held up just by looking at them. Heck, even a picture of who is racing the blessed thing to even start would (hopefully) spark fan followings.

I appreciate the UTVU coverage very much and applaud the people who bring it to us. Yet if I can't even pick up an image as to who the winner is racing against or what the competition's machines even 'look like'(?)...then we're back to NASCAR radio coverage (only) in the deep South years ago as being infinitely better in terms of rooting for one driver over another (which is the #1 concept in race marketing next to giving ALL sponsors/aftermarket companies the needed exposure).

Hats off to the 3 people who took these shots. I simply question how they managed to gloss over everybody else who was there for the two seconds it would take to include those making the race legitimate (by virtue of their numbers alone) and frankly one of the few "power to the little guy" pure offroad legacy racing opportunities left.
So here's the deal.

3 photogs all partnered up in teams with our videographers.

Because of the size of the race and the amount of ground we needed to cover and the other clients mad media also had to shoot for we were not able to dedicate a photog at the start line like we normally would.

Our guys disperse to specific locations then have a set plan as to where to move and when.

UTVs left the line at around 1pm which meant they only races for 4 hours before it got dark. Once the sun is down the images and even video drops off.

At some point the team has to start running with the leaders. At the same time not everyone on the crew can keep it going for 30+ hours on no sleep.

Our photographers don't spray the bull. They shoot great images. Sometimes this frustrates me because I want them to give me photos of everyone so I don't have to deal with someone feeling butt hurt every race which always happens. But our guys are good at what they do and their work is important to them. They won't send me some crappy out of focus shot just to please a racer.

No one works for free. I paid 3 guys in hopes of having everything covered and it still wasn't enough.

Reactions: Rynomx785

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Here's the other thing. I get messages, how come no UTV photos at the jump in the wash. My answer, because UTVs get like 1 ft of air and it's a waste of a photographer to be stuck in town and then after you guys go through have to spend 2 hours just trying to get back out of town especially when you only have 4 hours of daylight. So that photographer is wasted.

Just like you guys plan for a race with pit strategy we do the same. We had a crew of 16 guys. That's bigger than most race teams. It's not easy to coordinate but we have to send guys where there is the best chance of a return and even then it doesn't always work out. We too have unforeseen stuff but remember the day light is our biggest enemy. If you aren't in the top vehicles before it gets dark you are alarmist always screwed unless you get back in that lead pack by morning and even then it doesn't always work out.

I will admit. I'm not happy with the photo coverage. The quality is bad ass but I too like start line and finish line images but guess who is usually shooting those!? Yours truly of course and I couldn't make the race this year.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Nicely done Joey and team! Getting anything done in Baja is always a challenge - and you guys do a great job. Well worth the UTVUG spectator fee I paid...
To all the next day quarterbacks - if you want a different product, or think you can do it better, head to the races and do a better job. And if you want a specific shot / location, bring your own photog.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
Joey D said:

All we hear is Blah Blah as your the same opinionated guy who just wants to bitch and complain without even telling anyone one who you actually are. Just be glad you got some pictures.

#keyboardcomplainer

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I will speak for myself. It's hard to turn off the creative side and just do coverage. You want to get that banger. If I am in a corner and you are coming in hot you can be sure I am ready. If you are on a Sunday drive I am not wasting my time. If your not serious and out there really racing I am not taking the shot. I want to see action. Sorry, race pace or no photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000