Official UTVUG LOORRS RD5/6 Pics and Results Thread

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
The whole idea behind the non oxygenated fuel in pump gas has to do with their insurance regulations according to LOORRS. The oxygenates in pump gas have nothing to do with performance. The oxygenates in certain race fuels are performance related from what i hear. All of the officials were shocked we were running pump gas anyways, as they assumed we would all want to run race fuel for more power. So now that we need to run a race fuel, i think it should be a spec fuel so that we are all on a level playing field. After all, that is what this whole class is about.. keeping costs down, and reliablity up. So to keep it fair, i think we should all have to run that GTX250 (98 octane unleaded race fuel). It needs to be an unleaded fuel so we don't ruin the oxy sensor.

What are others opinions on it? Do you think we should be able to run whatever, as long as it falls under the LOORRS Regs, or make it a spec fuel, so we all are on the same playing field, and it can easily be tested if people aren't running the right stuff?

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
"pump gas" is what sunoco says the Kart fuel is. 93 octane, should be plenty for a "stock R1".

so there already is a fuel at the track, running in EFI machines, no reason to reinvent the wheel here. most of you would not know this having to use only race fuel for UTVs, but if you have been around Modified TK's, this would be known already, and they have to run the fuel at the track, ( level playing Field) ;)

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Id be fine with a spec fuel. Dont matter to me. It does need to be Unleaded though.

I dont see a need for a spec fuel though, as the R1 is designed for 91 octane, and with no way to up the compression, or advance the timing, we wont really be able to take advantage of the octane, it will actually probably hurt HP.

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
"pump gas" is what sunoco says the Kart fuel is. 93 octane, should be plenty for a "stock R1".

so there already is a fuel at the track, running in EFI machines, no reason to reinvent the wheel here. most of you would not know this having to use only race fuel for UTVs, but if you have been around Modified TK's, this would be known already, and they have to run the fuel at the track, ( level playing Field) ;)
Kart fuel at Vegas was Sunoco GTX260.

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Here is some info on the Sunoco GTX260..

unoco 260 GTX™ is designed for applications that need more detonation protection than street gas provides, yet cannot use tetraethyl lead (TEL). It has been shown to produce good, repeatable power levels in engines up to 12:1 compression ratio, and will tolerate more compression in engines with modern, efficient combustion chambers. 260 GTX does not contain lead or MMT. It does not harm sensors used in fuel injection systems. It is also an excellent choice where oxygenates such as ethanol are limited or banned by the engine manufacturer or sanctioning organization.

And the 07-08 R1 engine has 12.7:1 compression ratio, so i think they will benefit from the change. I didn't really notice any seat of the pants difference, but the motor seemed to run cooler (but it was cooler those days than the 1st day so hard to tell).

G-

Reactions: 1 person

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
While I am all for making things as close to 'spec' as possible, I think for the fuel we should just leave it up to each racer what they choose to run. Obviously it can't be oxygenated, and the R1's being stock, it won't really help to run super expensive stuff. The reason I would rather not make a spec fuel is in case of sponsorship from a fuel company - say racer B gets a VP sponsorship....or can get a great deal on VP fuels somewhere, but there is now a spec fuel that is Sunoco? Or vice versa? My thoughts are leave it up to each racer to decide what type of fuel will be best for his motor - as long as it passes tech and is not a cheater gas, then it should be fine. Unleaded is better for the 02 sensors, of course....just my .02.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Perhaps we can all vote on this in Utah. This would be something that we should all have some input on....what do you think?

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
While I am all for making things as close to 'spec' as possible, I think for the fuel we should just leave it up to each racer what they choose to run. Obviously it can't be oxygenated, and the R1's being stock, it won't really help to run super expensive stuff. The reason I would rather not make a spec fuel is in case of sponsorship from a fuel company - say racer B gets a VP sponsorship....or can get a great deal on VP fuels somewhere, but there is now a spec fuel that is Sunoco? Or vice versa? My thoughts are leave it up to each racer to decide what type of fuel will be best for his motor - as long as it passes tech and is not a cheater gas, then it should be fine. Unleaded is better for the 02 sensors, of course....just my .02.
Perhaps we can all vote on this in Utah. This would be something that we should all have some input on....what do you think?
Uh..yes. ;)

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I said this similar thing last season about a fuel sponsor.

Remember that Sunoco pay contingency this season for UTV's, they did not last year, and I called them on it. the lady was real nice and said she would push for it for this season. so why not run the sunoco and get some $$??

so who has not collected for sunoco this year?

Thanks Doug and Greg. I never asked what is what officially called last year, I just bought it for me and Brandon Arthur.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Good to see you again Joey, racing was great. wind was unrelenting though.
You too Rog. Thanks fo the support!

Great pics Joey! It was a great weekend and congrats to all the winners!
Thank you Michelle. Great to see you and Tom out there again supporting your drivers! Rhino Parts and Performance is awesome!!!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Here is some info on the Sunoco GTX260..

unoco 260 GTXâ„¢ is designed for applications that need more detonation protection than street gas provides, yet cannot use tetraethyl lead (TEL). It has been shown to produce good, repeatable power levels in engines up to 12:1 compression ratio, and will tolerate more compression in engines with modern, efficient combustion chambers. 260 GTX does not contain lead or MMT. It does not harm sensors used in fuel injection systems. It is also an excellent choice where oxygenates such as ethanol are limited or banned by the engine manufacturer or sanctioning organization.

And the 07-08 R1 engine has 12.7:1 compression ratio, so i think they will benefit from the change. I didn't really notice any seat of the pants difference, but the motor seemed to run cooler (but it was cooler those days than the 1st day so hard to tell).

G-

REP POINTS for the info!!! Hit the REP button to say thansk to those who offer up good insight, information or who make a post you like!

Zerofield

Pit Junky - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 13, 2009
Arizona
Dan Kelly got second place Sunday in the sr1 class.

Fuel issues or not Bobby still killed it this weekend. Next race only going to be faster!!! Rob Muzzy is builds some great motor...4th and 2nd with no big iusses, pretty good for the B car

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Ummmm...does Lucas test UTV fuel? I am guessing not.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Lucas DID test UTV fuel this last round.......

dnf736

Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
OOPS .... or SR1 gals
Good save ;)

My son who reads everthing here pointed this out to me so I just wanted to clarify something.
When I said "fuel issuie: it was not about the testing (and Im glad they are testing) it was about the vendor...kinda.
I bought fuel on Sunday, then when I poured it into my tank it was a different color than what I bought on Saturday and I was POSITIVE it was oxygenated....it wasnt.

Seems the vendor ran out of what he sold me on Saturday so Sunday when I asked for my favorite flavor he sold me one step up from that since he ran out of my blend and didint tell me so I kinda panic'd. :eek::eek:

And yes they test, I watched the tech inspector do it twice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000