Official UTVUG Baja 500 Coverage

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Who is Matlock in 1971 ? Sorry no offense, I just haven't heard much. He's running away with it .. if no failures he'll win.

#1 Matlcok 1971
#2 Murray 1917
#3 Brandon Schueler 1932

I'm rooting for Murray ... be cool get CanAm on podium, hope they keep it up !!

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013
Wayne Matlock is a certified badass, many wins in baja on an atv, I'm sure much more I cant remember off the top of my head but he comes from the atv world.

Variety on the podium is always a plus IMO, good racing so far

Reactions: Brian B

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Wayne Matlock is a former factory Honda quad racer. Sort of the 'Johnny Campbell' of quads. Well, maybe not quite, but close. But with age comes a cage. He wanted what he thought was the best platform so he chose a Jimco built Polaris RZR. This is only his second Pro UTV big desert race and he is doing great by my measure. Steep learning curve, but doing well so far. Dude knows Baja like the back of his hand, more than me and Burnett fo sho.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Jake I think you are accurate, but I think McFarland is likely behind Wayne 1971 and is just not tracking. My 2 pesos. -MP

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Yes. I believe when the tracker icon is orange somethings up. Wouldnt count McFarland out. Brandons been stopped for awhile. Any word Matt?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Wayne Matlock is a former factory Honda quad racer. Sort of the 'Johnny Campbell' of quads. Well, maybe not quite, but close. But with age comes a cage. He wanted what he thought was the best platform so he chose a Jimco built Polaris RZR. This is only his second Pro UTV big desert race and he is doing great by my measure. Steep learning curve, but doing well so far. Dude knows Baja like the back of his hand, more than me and Burnett fo sho.
If you ask me quad riding transfers over very well to the golf carts.

Reactions: UTVUGJake

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
1971 Wayne MatlockShow Racer's Class
UTV | Class 19
Last seen 35 seconds ago at RM 426.3
21.9 MPH - Current Speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
This will probably be taken the wrong way...but is this the very best that we can do in terms of covering this sport?
As far as I know, there is but one other forum where the best drivers/owners/key personnel post anything of consequence in terms of top tier utv racing and this year they're pretty much fan boys for but for one team with zero updates. Many of us don't do FaceCrack or any other social media for obvious reasons. Polaris throws millions at the 'race on sunday/sell on Monday' concept yet obviously doesn't believe in the rabid interest that many of us have when the races are run.
Please don't give me any grief about cell phone coverage or that satellite phones don't work either. The malfunctioning tracker hasn't been a factor for hours now. I also realize that if Polaris isn't winning it isn't a story...but what gives? The very first time that a Rzr was ever raced, they wadded it up and pictures were immediately taken down. It's like 'deja vu' this morning (yet another Polaris drivetrain issue?).
We will never garner interest in the sport's "superbowls" (especially with international drivers winning more races) if there isn't real time interest/money shown and thrown on race day. We don't need live TV; we need old fashioned reporting.

Just my $.02 and not meant to ruffle any feathers but a dream that I'm guessing others who follow these races and the latest advances in the sport share.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWB

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
Agreed. I'm usually the first to post the results. Wether I had just finished the race or got word from friends on the ground 1,600 miles away. At a minimum we need real time finishing order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UTVUGJake

Feb 11, 2013

Very quick update and mini photo gallery. I hear you guys and I take responsibility for the spotty coverage, after reading your comments this morning I've been trying to think of ways to overcome the challenges involved with getting realtime info distributed clearly and quickly.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000