>>> Official PURE SXS SERIES Site <<<<

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
I had a great time at the event. We did much better then I ever imagined for our very first race. I bought this XP1000 about 5-6 weeks ago. I have been screwing around in the foothills of Bakersfield with the machine and hooked up with Justin to install some parts from Cognito on the machine. We installed his bolt on cage with the relocated radiator for the Worcs series and installed the Big Boy Fox shocks. We changed out the rear radius links and reinforced the sway bar mount. I had to move the seats way back to get my 6'6" body in there comfortably with some Corbeau seats and some Simpson 5 points. Other then that Justin asked to test his prototype replacement front arms he is Justin about ready to release for sale, Everything else was stock, stock belt, Fresh oil from a service after 10 hours. Everything was from the dealership assembly. I ran stock wheels and tires. She really was stock and could have ran in the bone stock class without the arms.

On friday in pre-running we competely front flipped the XP off the big ass speed bump at mile marker 24 that was very poorly marked while in the dust of another pre runner. It did very little damage to anything but the roof skin and my family jewels. It did a complete front flip landed on it's roof and sprung back over on its wheels. My co-driver and I were a little banged up and sore but we made it back out Saturday to just see how it went. My shin is still very sore from kicking the dash upon impact.

On Saturday after narrowly missing the black buggy going backwards down the hill in the first mile, we stuck to the plan to run a calculated race and not drive over our head like quite a few people did. We did not pit on our first lap and only put 4 gallons in the XP on lap 2 to bring us home. But after running a pretty consistent 4 laps we ended up first in our class and 7th overall. :D:D:D

I have to thank Justin and BiggJim from COGNITO MOTORSPORTS for the help with the XP1000. I also have to thank my buddy Larry Brown from TCR performance for co-piloting with me and guiding me through a safe 2.5 laps of pre running before we flipped at MM 24, then again on Saturday. I did run the final lap solo. Kamaka Pocock did a great job helping out in the pits with BiggJim.

I hope to be back in April if I can get out of going to a car show in Del Mar for work.

ironworks

Jan 18, 2010
If I could make a few suggestions that I heard all weekend about the event.

The marking on the course really struggles.

The white ribbon can be very tough to see. Could you use a more un natural color like pink or orange? In the sun and in the dust that ribbon is nearly invisible. The danger markings are not marked nearly good enough. Having absolutely no warning for that monster speed bump at MM 24 is just a crazy. That should be warned well in advance. It was the most dangerous part of the entire course. I asked about having GPS earlier in this thread and was told that due to the great course marking it was not really needed. I can tell you I will have it next time just to mark the dangers on the course for my own safety. Had of had it I would not have flipped the car on Friday. There was also a ravine about MM 18 that ate 2 or three cars on Saturday and we almost hit them after their accident because it was not marked at all.

I think if who ever is doing the marking could ride with a fast guy they might have a much better idea how difficult it is to see some of that stuff at race speed.

This land rush start may be good for TV, but is a compete joke going in to the beginning section of the track. You just asking for damaged equipment. I know its more work on the organizers part as far as timing and scoring but having the cars spread out as far as possible would cut down on the wreckage in lap one. Once again if some one making the decisions rode with a Pro- guy they might understand why the entire group of racers was happy to settle for the at least the 10 second gap at the start. The ruts in turn one were probably the deepest on the entire course before the green flag was dropped.

I enjoyed the event and maybe I'm outta line but just some points I can see and wisdom I heard from guys who have raced BITD and other sanctioning bodies. My co driver races his own class 1 buggy and really pushes safety above anything else as this can be a very dangerous sport.

Thanks I look forward to the next event.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Looks like Cain Smead of Dirt Wheels slayed the field, from what I saw he was overall running Pro 1000..

Big thanks to Big Jim of Cognito, who jumped in, and helped my guys out with a ton of effort tying to fix my car after loosing an A arm bolt, that caused a broken CV, and bent arm...

My Fabwerx Teryx came out great, but I had very little time to finish it causing a few problem, and we lost a whole lap..the track got really tore up by lap four and made things interesting, reminded me a Primm a few years ago, otherwise good time and good event.
Anytime Dave!!!! I go to these races for the rush...I could probably have a permanent spot in our Race car as a co-driver but I have just as good a time Hanging out in the pits.

I had a great time at the event. We did much better then I ever imagined for our very first race. I bought this XP1000 about 5-6 weeks ago. I have been screwing around in the foothills of Bakersfield with the machine and hooked up with Justin to install some parts from Cognito on the machine. We installed his bolt on cage with the relocated radiator for the Worcs series and installed the Big Boy Fox shocks. We changed out the rear radius links and reinforced the sway bar mount. I had to move the seats way back to get my 6'6" body in there comfortably with some Corbeau seats and some Simpson 5 points. Other then that Justin asked to test his prototype replacement front arms he is Justin about ready to release for sale, Everything else was stock, stock belt, Fresh oil from a service after 10 hours. Everything was from the dealership assembly. I ran stock wheels and tires. She really was stock and could have ran in the bone stock class without the arms.

On friday in pre-running we competely front flipped the XP off the big ass speed bump at mile marker 24 that was very poorly marked while in the dust of another pre runner. It did very little damage to anything but the roof skin and my family jewels. It did a complete front flip landed on it's roof and sprung back over on its wheels. My co-driver and I were a little banged up and sore but we made it back out Saturday to just see how it went. My shin is still very sore from kicking the dash upon impact.

On Saturday after narrowly missing the black buggy going backwards down the hill in the first mile, we stuck to the plan to run a calculated race and not drive over our head like quite a few people did. We did not pit on our first lap and only put 4 gallons in the XP on lap 2 to bring us home. But after running a pretty consistent 4 laps we ended up first in our class and 7th overall. :D:D:D

I have to thank Justin and BiggJim from COGNITO MOTORSPORTS for the help with the XP1000. I also have to thank my buddy Larry Brown from TCR performance for co-piloting with me and guiding me through a safe 2.5 laps of pre running before we flipped at MM 24, then again on Saturday. I did run the final lap solo. Kamaka Pocock did a great job helping out in the pits with BiggJim.

I hope to be back in April if I can get out of going to a car show in Del Mar for work.

My pleasure Roger!! Kamakazie was a great help!

Thanks,

May 6, 2013
Yucaipa , Ca
Had an absolute blast out at the races this weekend !! If you haven't raced here your missing out on a great bang for your buck. First two miles felt like king of the hammers and had all terrain covered from there. Course was marked better than in the past and personally I did not have a problem seeing any markings or ribbons (although it is still not as good as a BITD Race). 100% agree that changing from a land rush start was a great idea!

I had a flat starting lap 2 and it took us forever to change so I was chasing dust for the rest of the day but salvaged 5th in class (pro 1000) and I believe 5th overall. First race and only second time driving my new car so my goal was finish within top 5 so I'm happy. It was cool to have a few BITD teams out there , they were definitely getting after it and proves I still have a lot to learn and need to find some more top speed in the car.

Looking forward to the race in April , hopefully see you all and more out there !

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
If I could make a few suggestions that I heard all weekend about the event.

The marking on the course really struggles.

The white ribbon can be very tough to see. Could you use a more un natural color like pink or orange? In the sun and in the dust that ribbon is nearly invisible. The danger markings are not marked nearly good enough. Having absolutely no warning for that monster speed bump at MM 24 is just a crazy. That should be warned well in advance. It was the most dangerous part of the entire course. I asked about having GPS earlier in this thread and was told that due to the great course marking it was not really needed. I can tell you I will have it next time just to mark the dangers on the course for my own safety. Had of had it I would not have flipped the car on Friday. There was also a ravine about MM 18 that ate 2 or three cars on Saturday and we almost hit them after their accident because it was not marked at all.

I think if who ever is doing the marking could ride with a fast guy they might have a much better idea how difficult it is to see some of that stuff at race speed.

This land rush start may be good for TV, but is a compete joke going in to the beginning section of the track. You just asking for damaged equipment. I know its more work on the organizers part as far as timing and scoring but having the cars spread out as far as possible would cut down on the wreckage in lap one. Once again if some one making the decisions rode with a Pro- guy they might understand why the entire group of racers was happy to settle for the at least the 10 second gap at the start. The ruts in turn one were probably the deepest on the entire course before the green flag was dropped.

I enjoyed the event and maybe I'm outta line but just some points I can see and wisdom I heard from guys who have raced BITD and other sanctioning bodies. My co driver races his own class 1 buggy and really pushes safety above anything else as this can be a very dangerous sport.

Thanks I look forward to the next event.

Thanks for the great suggestions and they will be used for the next race.
Regarding the Land Rush start it was just one way for us to make it different. We own property in the area and perhaps a wider "bomb run" could be used. But changing to a single vehicle start, one off every ten seconds worked out well. Conversely it took a bit of time to stage everyone. But if the racers were happy for the change, we are happy.

The ribbon suggestion is excellent. When we first started promoting off-road races in 1986, we were the first to use the pink fluorescent ribbons so they would not be confused with SCORE's white/orange. For a while we were unique. Then everyone started using our same colors. You are right in some spots, when the sun is out, the white tends to blend with the horizon. We may be back with the white/fluorescent red or pink for the next one. White works well when the race goes into night. But good suggestions. Thanks. Lou

lucho

Sep 28, 2010
Go to this link to check the IRC Tracking records for each racer during the PURE "125" SXS Off-Road Desert Race: http://cms02.initial-website.com/app/669927715/1373395017/

Moreover, everything can be found in www.averacing.com - Results. Photos. and other.
Points will be computed when the results become final next Monday.

In the meantime, I'm off to San Felipe. Hope to see many of you there!

Next race is the PURE "175" - April 4-6. Entirely new course, approx 43 miles each lap. Mark your calendar because this is a brand new course!!!

AVE

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
I was there this weekend and had a blast with the Cognito crew. I do want to thank Lou for putting on a awesome event for the price. This is the best bang for the buck desert racing in the sxs. Also thanks to Lou for always listening to the drivers and keeping an open mind. That alone will put this series on the top.

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Congratulations to Logan Gastel of Murray Racing for the 2nd place finish in Pro 1000 with his brand new CanAm Maverick. He and Steve Amrine finished it that morning and towed it out for the race. Way to go guys!

Atpalmer

Jan 10, 2014
Santa Clarita
Ok Tyrone, you got me motivated to edit my video. Here it is
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhI_dCqORg4"]2014 "Pure 125" Race no music #1058 - YouTube[/ame]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000