Northern Baja Ride- Believe the Hype!

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
I just completed 449 miles, 3 days, starting and finishing in Tecate, just south of El Cajon, Ca. The ride was lead by Baja Bound leader Tim & Jennifer Horton. Here are some more highlights and thoughts for those of you who are considering a trip.

Day 1

After crossing the border early Saturday, we all parked out trucks at a very nice campground (was a KOA) about 15 minutes outside of Tecate. This was a very safe place to keep our rigs, and looks like a great place to camp. After a safety talk, 7 RZR's and one YXZ headed out. Day one consisted of some fun two track through rolling hills, into the pine trees, and headed toward Ojos Negros. We helped a lady with her daughters tow out their stuck SUV, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Later, on a smooth section, one of the RZR's has a rear radius rod heim joint break. Total fluke deal, they were aftermarket rods, but had a bad heim. We had a spare, but it was on the chase truck about 30 miles away. A few ratchet straps later, we were able to cruise into Ojos Negros and stopped at La Cava De Marcelo, a small cheese and wine spot. I couldn't believe that on my "rugged Baja" trip that I'd be stopping for wine, aged cheese, oysters and sashimi. It was very cool to get a little culture at our food stop. From there, we headed into Horsepower Ranch, just outside Ensenada to round out our 128 mile day. Horsepower Ranch was a killer spot with all kinds of great baja racing posters and moments, and we all had some arrachera beef, my favorite.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.21.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.21.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.20.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.20.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.20.56 PM.png

Day 2

Sunday was a full pull, 165 miles that started with the famous big roller jumps and fast flowy race track in Ojos Negros, down some slow rocky terrain into the Santo Tomas valley, to meet up in Santo Tomas with the chase trucks for some fuel. We then headed west to Erendira, along the beautiful coast, to stop and have lunch on the beach. After ripping down the sand, and through some whoops, we then headed inland, through several water crossings, and up and down technical hills that had deep rain ruts, race course berms, hidden rocks, and a tight rocky wash. We made it up through Coyote Ranch, and down to our stay for the night in Meling Ranch. We had no mechanical issues, and everyone in the group was amazed with the diversity of terrain we covered. It was a long day, but not especially tiring. While we were on race course at times, we were never constantly in big whoops or rocky washes for very long. From 60 mph to 2 mph, beach, mountains, rivers, and canyons, day 2 had it all.

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.20.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.20.05 PM.png
Day 3

156 miles started off with some tight, rocky, technical riding from Coyote Ranch, we had one Big Horn suffer a sidewall puncture, but 10 minutes later we mounted the spare and were back down the trail. We dropped into Mike's Sky Ranch, which was very cool to finally visit a place I'd heard so much about, and the history inside is really cool, especially if you follow off road racing. From there, we hit a lot of fast, flowy roads, down into Valle De Trinidad for some fuel and tacos. Recharged, we headed up the famous goat trail, which lead into some super fun sand washes. We finished up with a lot of fast roads and trails, the radios started to get quiet, as most of the group was getting tired after 3 full days of riding. The weather was perfect all trip, ranging from 55-75 degrees, and breezes most of the time that helped with dust.
Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.19.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.19.13 PM.png

I can't say enough good about our tour guide's Tim & Jennifer, and their staff. Collectively, they are uber passionate about off road and Baja, Tim's competed in the Baja 1000 28 times on a bike, which is as hardcore as any of us could ever be. I loved talking mountain bikes, moto, and baja racing with a group that lives and breathes it. Tim has exceptional leading skills, knows every turn, road, trail, lake, highway, and even chose safer angles to jump on highways. Everyone in the group was floored with Tim's knowledge of the terrain, a real human GPS.

I'm not affiliated with Baja Bound or get paid any commission, I just want to spread the word of a great group of people that are going to become the premier group leading SXS rides in Baja. They raced the Baja 500 the week prior, lead our trip, and are headed back down tomorrow to lead a motorcycle group. Hardcore, to say the least.

Many people are scared of Baja, but they shouldn't be. I've driven my RZR in Moab, Rocky Point/ El Golfo, Pismo, Glamis, Ocotillo, Lake Havasu, Parker, Primm Nevada, Sedona, Mammoth, and Baja takes the cake. We didn't have one bad mile, no BS. I've spent a ton of time in both 2 and 4 seat RZR's, and I'd say the 2 seater was the RZR of choice. I didn't think that it would be, but the shorter wheelbase in the tight stuff was really fun. I was very surprised how the bigger prerunner's and race buggies and trucks made it through many of the sections, now I understand why the 1600 cars run fast in Baja.

Shout out to North County Yamaha and Baja Bound for putting together a great ride. The price was cheap, included motels, food, and gas, and most importantly, a great tour guide and group of people. People that go to Baja are adventurous and fun to be around, plain and simple. I'll be back with my RZR, as well as a dirt bike tour with my buddies, Tim has all kinds of single track that I'd love to ride.

Nick

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Many people are scared of Baja, but they shouldn't be. I've driven my RZR in Moab, Rocky Point/ El Golfo, Pismo, Glamis, Ocotillo, Lake Havasu, Parker, Primm Nevada, Sedona, Mammoth, and Baja takes the cake.

Nick
Its funny you say this. Years ago one of the guys in our group brought a friend who had not seen or done Baja before. He was mostly a Jeeper, and had done all the typical Jeep trips, including a multi day run around the Grand Canyon, which was his pinnacle of all off-road trips he had done. By day 2 of one of our Baja trips he said the Grand Canyon was small! By day 4 he was pretty tired, but I think much of it was brain overload of all the things & places he had seen & been in a few days. (I'm guessing we had logged around 800+ miles) Then when we told him he saw maybe 15% of what we have seen & done in the past, he was in total shock. He never imagined Baja was so big and variable (Its not just some flat desert) and available to what we do. I've challenged people to show me a place or compare Baja and what we are able to do, to any other place on this earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: BajaBoundMoto

nolson2

Nov 28, 2011
San Marcos, CA
Its funny you say this. Years ago one of the guys in our group brought a friend who had not seen or done Baja before. He was mostly a Jeeper, and had done all the typical Jeep trips, including a multi day run around the Grand Canyon, which was his pinnacle of all off-road trips he had done. By day 2 of one of our Baja trips he said the Grand Canyon was small! By day 4 he was pretty tired, but I think much of it was brain overload of all the things & places he had seen & been in a few days. (I'm guessing we had logged around 800+ miles) Then when we told him he saw maybe 15% of what we have seen & done in the past, he was in total shock. He never imagined Baja was so big and variable (Its not just some flat desert) and available to what we do. I've challenged people to show me a place or compare Baja and what we are able to do, to any other place on this earth.
Nikal, that's wild that my short ride only scratched the surface, and I would need 10 more trips and thousands of miles to see a majority. It just boggles my mind of how many enthusiasts are afraid of Mexico, when it is really safe, and the "holy grail" of off road in a lot of aspects...

BajaBoundMoto

Jul 14, 2015
Escondido CA
www.BajaBoundMoto.com
Total blast sharing Baja with you Nick!
I put some pics on this thread too... http://www.utvunderground.com/forum/index.php?threads/baja-fun.19564/

Also "Baja Bound Adventures" on FBook

I don't think you (at least I) can get enough Baja... Right now i'm at 40 of the past 55 days in Baja, and it's not over yet (or ever!).
Got home late Monday night from the trip with Nick/NCY/Baja Designs, then back down Thursday thru Monday (yesterday) on bikes, and off again Friday to guide RZRs again.
Then I think it's July 16-18 or 23-25 back down in SxS's (if we gather enough interest).

BajaBoundMoto

Jul 14, 2015
Escondido CA
www.BajaBoundMoto.com
This past Saturday, 7 RZRs on the trail, kids love steekers...

We're heading out again July 16-18.
3 drive days, 2 different nights, support truck(s), all fuel included, meals included, hotels included.
So far there's 3 cars on it, 5'ish more would be fun.

Who wants to join us?

@Rynomx785 @RWTDCT @Cisco Kid @BlackRhinoSean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
For those who might have read about my previous Baja trips or have just read about Baja Bounds and have dreamed about going to Baja, need to take serious consideration of signing up for Baja Bounds trips. This is by far the best way for you to experience Baja and have someone take care of you and all the details.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I would love to but I am not going to be able to swing it that soon. It is definitely on the list of things I want to do though. I need a second job just to support my UTV habit.....

BajaBoundMoto

Jul 14, 2015
Escondido CA
www.BajaBoundMoto.com
Thanks for the kind words @NIKAL
And @Rynomx785 you said it! Last weekend I drove a hot-rodded 1000/4 (actually a 3 seat) with all custom arms, suspension, wider, cage, etc... built by "Baja1" and it was amazing! I think this one was their 1st roller. We did a shake down of it.
But the problem is that it was so killer that now I have this urge to spend $$$ to make my car the same. Crap....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rynomx785

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000