New Yamaha?

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
The name going around for the Yamaha is Banshee.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Yeah no way over 1000cc, they need to sell in cali and not create a new category. Don't they have a triple that's only 850cc anyway? They can get plenty ponies under 1000cc with a turbo add on in following years.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
4-5 Speed w/ foot clutch.

No faster than a RZR 1000.

No CVT

3 cylinder

All words through some one who has driven it.
Im lazy and I don't want to shift and automatic is always faster.

Reactions: ALEX

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
that's true but...........

There is no other class in racing that uses a belt. It has been tried in class 10 cars with a RPM gearbox..... epic fail. Huge power loss. Every other car out there runs a transmission and clutch and they work great.

I have personally raced a UTV with both. I won the 2012 BITD unlimited pro class with a rhino stretched 18 inches and an R1 motor. Yes we blew clutches but those motors were not built for that application, and they still held up amazingly well.

The CVT is amazingly paracitic when it comes to power loss. I will personally take a shifter and clutch over a belt any day. Ask Cognito and Jagged how many primary/secondary clutches they have gone through and you will find that a mendeola would have been cheap in comparison and 10X stronger.

With all that said, rock crawling, going slow, mud bogging, and some other applications are better handled with a belt any day. If that's your thing, then belts will always rule.

To each their own and here's one to Yamaha if they have truly brought something new to the market. Let's hope this "banshee" is all it is cracked up to be.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Interesting. I think the foot clutch is going to eliminate lots of buyers.
That was my 1st thought as well, no more wives and kids driving the rzr, or "most wives and kids" anyway.

I personally like the prospect of shifting, i think it will make for a lot more fun, i get bored with the stab the throttle and drive CVT but i understand that it is about selling vehicles and that is the transmission type that appeals to the most buyers.

I would have like to see something you could choose between automatic and manuel, maybe an electric clutch or something.

Guess time will tell what is actually released but i would assume Joey knows what he is talking about over most of the other rumors floating around.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
that's true but...........

There is no other class in racing that uses a belt. It has been tried in class 10 cars with a RPM gearbox..... epic fail. Huge power loss. Every other car out there runs a transmission and clutch and they work great.

I have personally raced a UTV with both. I won the 2012 BITD unlimited pro class with a rhino stretched 18 inches and an R1 motor. Yes we blew clutches but those motors were not built for that application, and they still held up amazingly well.

The CVT is amazingly paracitic when it comes to power loss. I will personally take a shifter and clutch over a belt any day. Ask Cognito and Jagged how many primary/secondary clutches they have gone through and you will find that a mendeola would have been cheap in comparison and 10X stronger.

With all that said, rock crawling, going slow, mud bogging, and some other applications are better handled with a belt any day. If that's your thing, then belts will always rule.

To each their own and here's one to Yamaha if they have truly brought something new to the market. Let's hope this "banshee" is all it is cracked up to be.
The desert racing scene will probably be ok with the clutch and tranny. The Dunes where I play screw that shifting crap. You want to shift all day go ahead my group of guys will be so long gone and pissed when you can't hang. Well you can hang in the back with the kids that's OK. I also don't care to shift gears when running around forest service roads trying to chill with the family.
There will be guys for sure that have to have a shifter cause they are so smart and sold on the fact it's faster and better.
Just like the guys who didn't want the R1 auto in a 2 seater sand car they had to have a Hayabusa cause it's more hp. And a manual tranny and my buddy said nope won't be better but if ya have to have it that way I will. Build it. So after its built they go to the dunes and they can't even hang with Jay after two big bowls he gone. Shifting in the Dunes sucks as far as I'm concerned IMHO.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The desert racing scene will probably be ok with the clutch and tranny. The Dunes where I play screw that shifting crap. You want to shift all day go ahead my group of guys will be so long gone and pissed when you can't hang. Well you can hang in the back with the kids that's OK. I also don't care to shift gears when running around forest service roads trying to chill with the family.
There will be guys for sure that have to have a shifter cause they are so smart and sold on the fact it's faster and better.
Just like the guys who didn't want the R1 auto in a 2 seater sand car they had to have a Hayabusa cause it's more hp. And a manual tranny and my buddy said nope won't be better but if ya have to have it that way I will. Build it. So after its built they go to the dunes and they can't even hang with Jay after two big bowls he gone. Shifting in the Dunes sucks as far as I'm concerned IMHO.

A manual trans with someone who can drive will put more hp to the ground and they will still be duning while you are changing belts. To each their own but I am sure glad my Tatum sand car isn't an automatic, it would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Reactions: tim07

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
A manual trans with someone who can drive will put more hp to the ground and they will still be duning while you are changing belts. To each their own but I am sure glad my Tatum sand car isn't an automatic, it would take a lot of the fun out of it.
Sorry. As I don't want to argue about it but a missed shift up or down and your done. See ya.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Lol so you say, lol you can give lessons to the newbies. Hehehehehe.
You know it doesn't take much to hit the wrong gate. I doubt it's a sequential box. Lol

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
I figured it would have been similar to the new Honda transmission...automatic plus paddle shift. Seems like that would appeal to the masses better. So foot clutch sequential with hand shifter? I wan to to drive one...

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
It wouldn't be a 4 speed! If it has gears it'll be 5 or 6. And if Yamaha can automate the clutch in the FJ1300, it's likely they'd do the same on a sxs.

Probably will be faster then a popo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000