New Video of the 1924 Monster Energy Kawasaki Teryx!

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-RZEZCodG6E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-RZEZCodG6E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>​

We played it safe this weekend and tested our car instead of racing at the SNORE Rage at the River. It was a last minute decision to not race and put some miles on the car to make sure we were ready for Parker in January. We had some fun out in the Barstow area running the car today. Check out the footage below from today's testing session.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
I am glad you finally found out what was causing your engine problems. Great luck next year with the car.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
Hey Mike, did you find that the adjusters were loose? This is a very common problem with Kawasaki's when not having a stiff enough valve spring for the job. What happens is the valve floats off the top of the cam and gets slapped against the valve seat causing cupping of the valve head (which eventually will cause the adjusters to become tight because the valve essentially is getting longer), rather than the cam letting the valve down gently by the shape of the cam lobe.

Call me if you want to talk more about it....we probably need to talk tires anyways.

Gary

ZTFab

Zero Tolerance Fabrication - Official UTVUndergrou
Mar 25, 2009
Upland, ca
Hey Mike, did you find that the adjusters were loose?

Gary
All of the adjusters were tight, causing the valves to hang open. We ran a compression test to get a baseline and got 0 cylinder pressure.

We then checked valve adjustment, found that all the valves were hung open. Adjusted the lash to the factory specs and she fired right up.

I was talking to Mike about the "valve growth" as well...seems like the only logical explanation as to how it happened.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
Totally understand, but what caused the valves to get tight in the first place, sounded like the car was running and then eventually wouldn't restart. Only 2 ways it can happen, valves get cupped and grow or the adjusters come loose (which normally they would get looser not tighter), everything else in failed valvetrain components causes valves to get loose and noisy. If the motor was running and you stopped and it wouldn't restart then checked the valves and they were all tight, I would bet they are cupping. If you look thru not just the Teryx forums but also the Kawieriders forums you will see posts that are this exact problem, normally always because somebody didn't match springs to the cam or they put a big cam on stock springs. Not saying this is the cause but I have also got a bad set of springs from a manufacturer that totally softened after they were ran for about 20-30 hours (auto motor, not a kawie). If you run it again for another 5-10-15 hours and the same thing happens.....bingo.

I don't mean any disrespect in any of my comments just want to help out a fellow Teryx racer. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000