Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Can-Am Maverick Turbo

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Can-Am Maverick N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ceejeee

Nov 25, 2015
I know this is a question that gets asked a lot, But I am in search of a new utv. What are the pros and cons of each. Im not making this to be a Bash fest.

I ride at the dunes, desert in Az and forest trails as well. And possibly moab in the future.

Thanks for all of the advice

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
a fox edition polaris XP1000 is a jam up machine for the desert guy who dunes occasionally. you can probably pick them up as a 15 model now for around $16,000 and in my opinion is a very well set up machine out of the box.

the mavTurbo and the XPTurbo are the kings of the scene right now. both are well into the $20's and after you get them decked out like you want you can easily have $25+k tied up into either of them.

depends on your budget, your needs, and how much money your neighbor has that you are trying to show out for. if he is a big money spender, you can easily make yourself broke trying to keep up with the Jones' but if you are just an average guy looking to have some fun, the N/A polaris right now are much cheaper and just as fun, just not quite as fast in a drag race.

Reactions: ROTAX and Simi Dude

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Spend a few bucks and rent the rzr than the new can am. I just did and gives you a better idea of the pros and cons of each car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Polaris NA because it's plenty fast enough and the turbo hasn't proven it's reliable yet. Besides most people don't need that kind of power or the cost that goes with it. Polaris just because all of the abundance of parts available.

Ceejeee

Nov 25, 2015
Whats the best wheel tire combo? I will buy paddles in the future but for glamis and desert i want a good tire

lt_prerunner

Oct 5, 2015
i went with the can am 1000r it was the best deal and have way better quality the polaris IMO and its got plenty of power i've only lost to the turbo 1000s buy around 2 1/2 lengths at the sand drags, the rest ive won, and i spent 3k less at the dealer, and the suspension is plenty enough i can go down any part of olds full speed with out bottoming out, its a great machine for the money
-but if you do decide rzr get good insurance and a fire extinguisher, you don't want your to burn down lol ;)

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
There are still a bunch of issues with the new rzr 4 seat turbo. I'd wait till they get those sorted.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
If your a dune freak get the Polaris turbo or Maverick turbo, If your going to do all the other stuff you listed the FOX Polaris would be hard to beat.......It has more than enough power and top speed for you to get into trouble.

Reactions: ROTAX and JoeyD23

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
What are they? Mine seem perfect!?
Been snooping on the rzr forum and a few threads on the front diff sounds like they have a bag of marbles in it. Fuel leak and caught fire. Belts burning up fast. And still over heating issues.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
I was just about to buy one....now I'm nervous.
You either believe the guys who simply come back with "mine doesn't" (and nothing else)...or you do your homework and ask yourself what the odds are that the story ends there (as many would apparently like you to believe).
A lot of us believed (well before others did the research) that the bean counters had finally left the engineers alone and allowed them to 'truly' redesign the entire driveline as it should have been from the very beginning.

The above is being pretty charitable to Polaris engineering. My '14 even with the metal sprague (vs plastic) and (I'm guessing) the shim in the right place isn't anywhere near right and never will be.

For this reason alone (not to mention the XPT differential's resemblance) I would be holding off for whatever Polaris comes up with next or the next best thing to come along from a company with a much better first year engineering record. For me, that would be largely CVT-adverse engineering such as has been practiced at Honda for decades, yet YMMV.

You also have to keep in mind exactly how that power enters the box in the first place which is often the entire story.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You either believe the guys who simply come back with "mine doesn't" (and nothing else)...or you do your homework and ask yourself what the odds are that the story ends there (as many would apparently like you to believe).
A lot of us believed (well before others did the research) that the bean counters had finally left the engineers alone and allowed them to 'truly' redesign the entire driveline as it should have been from the very beginning.

The above is being pretty charitable to Polaris engineering. My '14 even with the metal sprague (vs plastic) and (I'm guessing) the shim in the right place isn't anywhere near right and never will be.

For this reason alone (not to mention the XPT differential's resemblance) I would be holding off for whatever Polaris comes up with next or the next best thing to come along from a company with a much better first year engineering record. For me, that would be largely CVT-adverse engineering such as has been practiced at Honda for decades, yet YMMV.

You also have to keep in mind exactly how that power enters the box in the first place which is often the entire story.
I am unsure as to why you have such a hard on for the driveline in the polaris....Our race car we just took 3rd in the Baja 1000 in has 6000 race miles on it... It has gotten 1 new driveline in 6000 miles. We have made no modifications to it, it is not "trued" or "re-phased" as people discuss.....maybe we are leaving something on the table, maybe we are not....but either way it is a OEM part that I give little thought to. The only thing I can say isnt bullet proof is the front diff with a plastic sprague...however that is an easy fix. I am unsure if they were trying to create a "fuse" if you will....or if it were a price point thing.Aside from that the only real weakness I have seen in the front diff is the mounting points....but that may also be the guy prepping our car getting shit Farm tight. I havent seen any other team with the mounting point problem we have had.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I would recommend renting the can am and the rzr and compare. After I sold my 15 rzr xp1k 4 seater I rented the 16 maverick max turbo. Way different cars. The can am has way better chassis and quality just wish it had the the xp rear suspension.

Reactions: ROTAX

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
I just recently purchase the rzr turbo 4 and took it to glamis for break in and had no problems with it. Very happy with the suspension! I think a lot of problems come from unexperienced drivers or people thinking they are a $250,000 TT and not supposed to break. Who knows it's just my opinion.
[/URL][/IMG]

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
I like the XP1k NA. Polaris did a great job with these units. Don't waste money on Turbo unless you really want a Turbo

I like that Polaris seems to build bad ass sport machines that reflect what customers dream about having. But WTF why they can't put a OEM parking brake in their shi& is beyond me. LOL

Reactions: Simi Dude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000