NEW SKAT-TRAK 30" PADDLE TIRES

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Running them backwards works good as they don't have to lift and push the heavy wet Sand. It's super easy just try it and see.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: crazywatson

dezertBandito

Sep 16, 2013
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but it seemed relevant to me, I was curious if you guys put your paddles on before loading the rzr into the hauler, drive them around on the street and into the hauler. Since they are buffed and vulcanized it has seemed kinda sketchy to me, so I have not done it yet but I was kicking around the idea for the next trip to save some space that way I don't have to take 3 extra tires to the dunes.

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but it seemed relevant to me, I was curious if you guys put your paddles on before loading the rzr into the hauler, drive them around on the street and into the hauler. Since they are buffed and vulcanized it has seemed kinda sketchy to me, so I have not done it yet but I was kicking around the idea for the next trip to save some space that way I don't have to take 3 extra tires to the dunes.
I haul with paddles on but have had reservations too. I just try to get trailer close and on concrete rather than the rough asphalt on the street to minimize any wear.

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
Back on topic for this thread. I spent a good hour on the phone with Tim at Xtreme before making my purchase. I generally agreed with all of his theories and had similar thoughts about what good a paddle does in what situation, so I went with pretty much exactly what he recommended for my 2017 RZR XPT with a level 3 tune(+25hp tune) and my type of duning(I actually 'dune', rarely race, and always 4wd, and often have to keep up with Funco sandrails). His recommendation was front 30x11x14 buffs on 4+3 Ultimates and 30x11x14 8 paddle Extremes on 4+4 Ultimates.
I finally put them to work Halloween weekend at Glamis. Generally, I am satisfied, but feel there is some refinement needed. The car 'goes fast' easily on flat sand, and the car ran cooler than anyone else in our camp with a rzr (194-200f average and max 205f). Where I saw it struggle a little was hill climbing(OK, racing up Olds hill), and turning.
The reason I say it struggled on hills is because I BARELY beat my buddy up Olds in a completely stock 2017 X3 with the 31.5" skat paddles and I really thought that I would have pulled away on him harder. I only had him by about a car or so at the top.
On turning, it was hard to get the car to whip around turns in the dunes until I really slowed down. It was kind of like the car wanted to stay straight, or 'squared up' until I would kind of tap the brakes and gas it in a turn.

So my theory is that getting around a turn quicker would take a floatier rear end, which probably means a wider tire, and pulling harder on the hill probably means more paddle. What do you think? What would I be giving up by going to, say, a 30x13x14 9 paddle in the rear and keeping my fronts the same?

Sorry for the long first post...

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Back on topic for this thread. I spent a good hour on the phone with Tim at Xtreme before making my purchase. I generally agreed with all of his theories and had similar thoughts about what good a paddle does in what situation, so I went with pretty much exactly what he recommended for my 2017 RZR XPT with a level 3 tune(+25hp tune) and my type of duning(I actually 'dune', rarely race, and always 4wd, and often have to keep up with Funco sandrails). His recommendation was front 30x11x14 buffs on 4+3 Ultimates and 30x11x14 8 paddle Extremes on 4+4 Ultimates.
I finally put them to work Halloween weekend at Glamis. Generally, I am satisfied, but feel there is some refinement needed. The car 'goes fast' easily on flat sand, and the car ran cooler than anyone else in our camp with a rzr (194-200f average and max 205f). Where I saw it struggle a little was hill climbing(OK, racing up Olds hill), and turning.
The reason I say it struggled on hills is because I BARELY beat my buddy up Olds in a completely stock 2017 X3 with the 31.5" skat paddles and I really thought that I would have pulled away on him harder. I only had him by about a car or so at the top.
On turning, it was hard to get the car to whip around turns in the dunes until I really slowed down. It was kind of like the car wanted to stay straight, or 'squared up' until I would kind of tap the brakes and gas it in a turn.

So my theory is that getting around a turn quicker would take a floatier rear end, which probably means a wider tire, and pulling harder on the hill probably means more paddle. What do you think? What would I be giving up by going to, say, a 30x13x14 9 paddle in the rear and keeping my fronts the same?

9 or 10 paddle would pull the hills better for the power. Front buff tires tend to push more.

What PSI were you running in the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
And narrower rear tires, in this past weekend's experience, tend to resist sliding. I was 11.5 front and tried 12 and 10.5 rear. Both were a compromise of one thing for another. Higher psi skated around the dunes a little better but started to lose pull on the long hills. Lower psi helped on the hills and get-up-n-go, but worsened the push tendency in turns. As a reminder, I always ran in 4wd.

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
I'd recommend 10 paddle Skats. As far as pushing with buffs up front, that's the nature of the beast. It sucks to have to lift to get weight to the front to get the car to turn, but it's just a different driving style to get it right. If you don't want to change driving style, look into front steer tires.

Reactions: tatum

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ

I got to try 10 paddle Extreme 30/13s last season and I prefer my STUs for the same reasons you described. I would like to see an optional rough buff with mohawk and 12 paddle Extremes.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Unless you are just blowing the tires off add paddle will slow you down on the top end up hill.

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
Unless you are just blowing the tires off add paddle will slow you down on the top end up hill.
Not quite 'blowing the tires off', but I think an extra paddle would get my speed up quicker at the hill. And I don't currently have enough power to rev out at the top of Olds hill, but I can feel the tire slipping near the top of steeper dune hills.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
8 paddles on a Turbo seems ridiculous to me for duning. When I talked to Tim a couple years ago about Skats for my XP 4 1000 and explaining to him my biggest concern was performance in the soft dunes out by China Wall as well as me not caring about being the fastest at the drags or the hill, he recommended 30/13 10 paddle Extremes.

I am sure the 8 paddles haul ass on the big end at the drags though.It's all give and take though....the best setup for the drags is not the best setup for the soft untouched dunes.

Reactions: Simi Dude

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
I would hypothesize that the fatter 13" wide tire reduces the effectiveness of the paddles, which is why they all run more paddles than the narrower tire. Additionally, i completely agree that a 4-seat rzr needs the wider tire due to the extra weight of the car.
I was leaning toward your exact tire setup before I talked at length with Tim at extreme. My biggest concern wasn't the fluffy stuff in the less explored dunes(although I am in that kind of stuff a good third of the time I'm at Glamis). My concern was having the speed to keep up with my buddies and their Funco sandrails in the high-speed duning areas like what's behind Olds and south of Osbourne.
The lighter weight and lower load of a narrower tire with less paddles is perfect when your speed is always up, and for that I Love the tires I ended up with. And my belt hardly gets warm, too. But I would like to see what the 30x13x14 9 paddle would do for - or against - me.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
Well, I guess going back to your original issues of not beating your buddy by very much and poor turning....

Rough buffs don't turn that well and maybe your car just isn't as fast as you were hoping it would be. The X3s run pretty from what I have seen. How many RPM are you pulling up the hill?

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
I'm currently 8450 on the flats to 55mph while in 4wd. Up olds, I was seeing 8250. This should improve slightly. Turns out I'm running a pound under boost for my tune. Need to adjust my waste gate more. Ideally I should see 8400 up olds I'd think.

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I would set it up to turn 8600 in the flats which should put you close to your target up Olds. Also, there is supposed to be quite a bit to gain performance wise from a helix change on the 17s. The 17s got a really shallow helix to help with belt life so they spool up harder than the 16s but don't gain MPH as fast as they would with the old helix. I would give Mike at Aftermarket Assassins a ring. He has couple different helix options for the Turbos.

Bodywerks

Nov 3, 2017
Yep. Everything I have is already from Mike, including his helix. Clutch and tuning, too. I think once I get the waste gate spring stiffened a little I'll be in that magic 8600 range. His level 3 tuning should be running me at 17.5lbs boost. I'm currently only seeing 16.4.

Reactions: Rynomx785

dezertBandito

Sep 16, 2013
I have noticed with mine while duning in the slow technical stuff out by flag pole it doesn't like to turn I have the 30x14 front buff. I have to throw in a lot more turn to roll the car to the outside and/ or give a lot more gas to engage the front wheels to get it around slow corners sometimes. I was impressed the weekend before halloween, I was beating turbo cars in the drags with mine. Then again the belt granaded just afterwards on the trip back to camp so maybe I had some "extra gearing"

RZRTurboKen

Nov 8, 2017
I just picked up a RZR 4 Turbo 1000 Stock, We ride with 2 kids in back , 2 adults up front mainly Florence oregon , looking at coos bay, and also Winchester in future, What paddle will let me enjoy following around our group of 10 quads and also get up the hills and have a ton of fun doing so. Sand Skates on all my quads<Banshee ,yamaha450,Honda 400, love them. Need advice. BTW Im selling my Jagged X 900, ran stock tires In Sand at 6LBS went everywhere. Not enough power for the biggest hills..

Rynomx785

Jun 21, 2015
Wickenburg, AZ
I just picked up a RZR 4 Turbo 1000 Stock, We ride with 2 kids in back , 2 adults up front mainly Florence oregon , looking at coos bay, and also Winchester in future, What paddle will let me enjoy following around our group of 10 quads and also get up the hills and have a ton of fun doing so. Sand Skates on all my quads<Banshee ,yamaha450,Honda 400, love them. Need advice. BTW Im selling my Jagged X 900, ran stock tires In Sand at 6LBS went everywhere. Not enough power for the biggest hills..
There is ton of paddle info on rzrforums.net

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000