New law requiring helmets in california

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
I tried to shed some light earlier in this thread as to why manufacturers can't offer harnesses. But maybe that will be negated.
Yes you did and that is why I should be allowed to upgrade my harnesses and maybe even pad my roll bars so I can be exempt from an unnessessary requirement to wear a helmet.

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
From my understanding come Jan. 2013 Oregon will also have the helmet law in effect...So I have been told
Looks like already in effect if you are under the age of 18. Here is the link to the law

SECTION 26. ORS 821.202 is amended to read:
821.202. (1) A person commits the offense of failure of a Class I, Class II, [or] Class III or Class IV all-terrain vehicle operator or passenger to wear a motorcycle helmet if the person is under 18 years of age, operates or rides on a Class I, Class II, [or] Class III or Class IV all-terrain vehicle on premises open to the public and is not wearing a motorcycle helmet with a fastened chin strap.
(2) The requirement to wear a motorcycle helmet with a fastened chin strap does not apply if the all-terrain vehicle is:
(a) Used exclusively in farming, agricultural or forestry operations or used by persons licensed under ORS chapter 571 exclusively for nursery or Christmas tree growing operations.
(b) Being used on land owned or leased by the owner of the vehicle.
(c) A Class II all-terrain vehicle registered under ORS 803.420 and has a roof or roll bar.

Looks like you could make most machines fit into a class 2 with a little work. That would eliminate the helmet rule if you have a cage.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Looks like already in effect if you are under the age of 18. Here is the link to the law

821.202. (1) A person commits the offense of failure of a Class I, Class II, [or] Class III or Class IV all-terrain vehicle operator or passenger to wear a motorcycle helmet if the person is under 18 years of age, operates or rides on a Class I, Class II, [or] Class III or Class IV all-terrain vehicle on premises open to the public and is not wearing a motorcycle helmet with a fastened chin strap.
(2) The requirement to wear a motorcycle helmet with a fastened chin strap does not apply if the all-terrain vehicle is:
(a) Used exclusively in farming, agricultural or forestry operations or used by persons licensed under ORS chapter 571 exclusively for nursery or Christmas tree growing operations.
(c) A Class II all-terrain vehicle registered under ORS 803.420 and has a roof or roll bar.

Looks like you could make most machines fit into a class 2 with a little work. That would eliminate the helmet rule if you have a cage.
Kids in Utah also.

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
Todd, I wish I had started this years ago....... Here goes nothing, :)

My wife and I have started an association, OHV Riders Association. It is a large encompassing one. We are not just looking to gain members in the sxs world but anyone that uses an Off Highway Vehicle. We are not asking for money to join, we ask that you register so that we can really start compiling how many of us there are, and what we all like to do. We are hoping to unite all OHV users to create a voice loud enough to be recognized. Help us grow this association!

Thanks Todd for being the first one to register!

http://ohvridersassociation.com/
I signed up today!

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Kids in Utah also.
Utah only put this into effect for atv's that fall under their class 1. Side x sides fall under class 2 which does not have a helmet requirement in Utah.

Off topic but after just reading through Oregon and utah's ohv laws I am stunned at how complex and confusing they are compared to how simple and plain the language is in the newly passed California code regarding ohv's. Oregons was the worst.

BLR

Dec 15, 2010
Florence, Oregon

That went into effect in Jan.2012

from my understanding they will be adding all classes...and it will be for everyone..this is coming from a friend that works for the State..
Oregon has always had some of the hardest to read laws...most of the time you can find a loop hole

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
I'm in hemet on the "buck" fire. I'll try and post later, 2am headed for the sleeping bag.... Keep raising hell haha!!!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Make some calls! This is far from over folks!

Paul Cook Assemblymen & author of the bill (Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)
909-790-4196 main office
916-319-2065 Capitol office

V Manuel Perez 80th district Assemblymen (Imperial Valley & Glamis)
760-336-8912 El Centro office (They need more calls!)
916-319-2080 Capitol office (They need more calls!)

Brian Jones 77th district Assemblymen (San Diego County including Anza Borrego & Cleveland National Forest) (Off-Roader himself)
619-441-2322 Santee office
916-319-2077 Capitol office

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)
619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office
760-335-3442 El Centro office
916-651-4040 Capitol office

Tim Donnelly District 36 Assemblymen (Hemet, Lucerne valley) OHV Supporter
760-244-5277 Hesperia office
916-319-2059 Capitol Office

Joel Anderson District 36 Senator (El Cajon, Temecula, Cleveland National Forest) OHV Supporter
619-596-3136 El Cajon office

Congressmen Bob Filner 51st district (San Diego, El Centro, Superstition, Glamis, Salton Sea)
(619) 422-5963 San Diego office
(760) 355-8800 Imperial Valley office
(202) 225-8045 Capitol

Assemblymen Connie Conway (San Bernardino)
(559) 636-3440 Main office (Needs more calls)
(916) 319-2034 Capitol office

Senator Bill Emerson (District 37 Riverside County)
(760) 568-0408 Palm Desert office (Needs more calls)
(916) 651-4037 Capitol office (Needs more calls)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Open 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Eastern Time
800-514-0301 (Long automated message, Dial 7 for assistance)
Or (202) 307-0663

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Make some calls! This is far from over folks!

Paul Cook Assemblymen & author of the bill (Let them know if this is not fixed you will support Gregg Imus for Congress!)
909-790-4196 main office
916-319-2065 Capitol office

V Manuel Perez 80th district Assemblymen (Imperial Valley & Glamis)
760-336-8912 El Centro office (They need more calls!)
916-319-2080 Capitol office (They need more calls!)

Brian Jones 77th district Assemblymen (San Diego County including Anza Borrego & Cleveland National Forest) (Off-Roader himself)
619-441-2322 Santee office
916-319-2077 Capitol office

Juan Vargas District 40 Senator (Cleveland National forest, Anza Borrego & Glamis)
619-409-7690 Chula Vista Office
760-335-3442 El Centro office
916-651-4040 Capitol office

Tim Donnelly District 36 Assemblymen (Hemet, Lucerne valley) OHV Supporter
760-244-5277 Hesperia office
916-319-2059 Capitol Office

Joel Anderson District 36 Senator (El Cajon, Temecula, Cleveland National Forest) OHV Supporter
619-596-3136 El Cajon office

Congressmen Bob Filner 51st district (San Diego, El Centro, Superstition, Glamis, Salton Sea)
(619) 422-5963 San Diego office
(760) 355-8800 Imperial Valley office
(202) 225-8045 Capitol

Assemblymen Connie Conway (San Bernardino)
(559) 636-3440 Main office (Needs more calls)
(916) 319-2034 Capitol office

Senator Bill Emerson (District 37 Riverside County)
(760) 568-0408 Palm Desert office (Needs more calls)
(916) 651-4037 Capitol office (Needs more calls)

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Open 10:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m Eastern Time
800-514-0301 (Long automated message, Dial 7 for assistance)
Or (202) 307-0663
Bump. Lets get this going again.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
I missed a phone call from the CPSC yesterday, wish me luck, gonna call them today and discuss this helmet crap....:D

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
so, 30 minutes later.... CPSC would love to see better seat belts in our cars. But that is the biggest concern that was voiced to me. They were not even aware of ab1595. I was told that if this came from them it would be Federal Law but it's not.....It is not something that is really even on the radar for them.........

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
Just called the cali ROHVA office and asked to talk with someone about ab1595, Eric who answered said I would have to check out the website for their comment on that and that is all that ROHVA was willing to offer. Apparently all you folks have raised enough hell that they don't want to hear it anymore... :D But that's not good enough for me, I'll keep digging until someone answers the phone.... :D:D

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
called the washington office and same thing......sir please see website blah blah blah for our comment......

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Called Cook's Capitol office. They are hoping to have a bill number later today or Monday. The lady said the two bills they were hoping to attach this to were already on the Assembly floor. They have another bill they are going to attach this too, but wont know the number until then.

Was told that this has already been fast tracked and as soon as it is attached to the bill, it will be on the Assembly floor for a vote. So they still dont see it being an issue before the end of the month.

I have told them we are starting to feel this is all a stall tactic. I was assured this is no stall tactic. The lady said she hoped another e-mail would be going out later today or maybe over the weekend. She said even though our offices are closed on weekend's that they have still been working. This just happens this time of year.

I then called Cook's main office and was told for the most part the same thing. Except this guy did not know or say anything about a new e-mail going out today or over the weekend. He said he hopped they would have the bill number early next week and at that time a e-mail would go out with the new bill number.

Stay on these guys!!! Without that new bill number it is hard to call the other Rep's and tell them to support Paul Cook's amendments as we dont have a number to reference. Almost every other office I have called as asked for the new bill number. Then told me to call back when I have one.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Also for those who say or think they dont have time to make one call.

It's simple, you dont need to go into detail. Just tell them you appose AB1595 and you expect them to fix it by the end of the month. Done!

The time it takes to make a post on these forums, you could have made one call.

The time between ordering food in the drive threw and getting to the pick up window, you could have made one call.

The time walking from your desk to your car, you could have made one call.

If you smoke (You should quit!) but skip one cigarette brake and make a call. You might feel so much better, that you dont need that cigarette.

Take the phone # list above and print it out. Put the numbers in your phone. Do whatever makes it easy for you, so when you find you have a few minutes to spare you can make a quick call.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Thanks for all you are doing. Calls do matter, its a fact.

I called again today still trying to get a meeting with Cook. My contact was out today, so no luck yet. I have two issues I am working on that needs to be addressed, JV and AB1595, so I hope next week.

Talked to Imus yesterday after I met with Congressman Lewis staff. Imus is a very passionate candidate. I really enjoyed talking with him. I have met with a lot of Congressman face to face this year, and he was by and large the most connected to the public I have seen so far.

He is an example of an average person who wants to make change. We can all learn from him. If elected he will need his constituents support.

Keep working the front door on AB1595, I am poking around the backdoor for what ever info I can find.

Next week we are going to be asking for help with the Hammers again, please watch facebook for instructions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000