New law requiring helmets in california

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Ya, I'm not opposed to helmets either. It's been on my "to do" list anyway.

Looks like they're gonna take all the other stupid stuff out that pertains to kids and floorboards, etc.

EFAJEEP

Jul 21, 2010
Joey, we know kawi was not the only one involved. I have a kawi and have supported them fr years. Kawi as well as the others could have helped write provisions that made sense and had the verbage read what "they meant".

What kawI does support is sneaking stuff in under our noses in a tax bill. They also support discrimination against someone being different. Please you or Jeff come by and tell my daughter that since she will never be tall as "normal" kids that she is now out of the sport since sometimes you have to amputate the arm to save the body. Tell that to the thousands of vets returning with aputated legs that they can't ride in a sxs. Its bullshit they support killing personal freedoms.

I will agree ambulance chasing has started this shit maybe they could go after laws tht affect that. If jeff knolls would have been killed in the bed of the truck last week should he be able to sue ford or whatever? No. Its a shame personal accountability has been lost.

I don't want to be in a pissing match with anyone I know we all have views but we need to stick together. We are doing a good job of making our voices heard and I guess if bickering keeps our fires lit so be it. I guess it affects me ina different way cause my kids condition says she will never be allowd to ride and it all part of ignorant wording.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

EFAJEEP

Jul 21, 2010
On a side note I'm in pismo right now. I spoke to one of the rangers about next years plans of enforcing ab1595. He was unaware of the law and I explined it to him. His thoughts werehe would not personally cite me since my car looks to be done safe and right. He would and does cite pepole with lawn chairs and crap in back.

I'm sure that the law wil be up to interprettions and that the rangers will be trained up on what to look for I hope they use common sense. Strange thing is no mention of golf carts. I know they are typically under 30 hp and 30mph but jesus they are all over out here with roll cages and some of them have NO suspension and are plenty fast

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey, we know kawi was not the only one involved. I have a kawi and have supported them fr years. Kawi as well as the others could have helped write provisions that made sense and had the verbage read what "they meant".

What kawI does support is sneaking stuff in under our noses in a tax bill. They also support discrimination against someone being different. Please you or Jeff come by and tell my daughter that since she will never be tall as "normal" kids that she is now out of the sport since sometimes you have to amputate the arm to save the body. Tell that to the thousands of vets returning with aputated legs that they can't ride in a sxs. Its bullshit they support killing personal freedoms.

I will agree ambulance chasing has started this shit maybe they could go after laws tht affect that. If jeff knolls would have been killed in the bed of the truck last week should he be able to sue ford or whatever? No. Its a shame personal accountability has been lost.

I don't want to be in a pissing match with anyone I know we all have views but we need to stick together. We are doing a good job of making our voices heard and I guess if bickering keeps our fires lit so be it. I guess it affects me ina different way cause my kids condition says she will never be allowd to ride and it all part of ignorant wording.

Actually what I would say to you is hey, check out this awesome
Bolt in sub floor and extended handle grip set up...... Oh, you have a bolt in rear bench seat. Well go re register your machine under special construction.

We need to be smarter than the paper the law is written on.....

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
People keep saying that all the manus care about is bottom line. Sure, what company doesn't care about bottom line. But what people seem to forget is that if they cant keep building machines there is NO BOTTOM LINE! lol

Manufacturers care about being able to build the machines that make them money. I care about being able to use these machines legally for a long time. I will build sub floors, add handle grip extensions, change how my registration lists my vehicle, wear helmets, put snowboard or skateboard (lightweight) helmets on my kids, and do what i need to do to continue to be able to do business and enjoy this hobby and sport all while allowing manufacturers to be able to keep building bigger badder machines.

Am I the only one that sees the other side here? lol

Ahhhhhhhh the sky is falling, the man is out to get us, the manufacturers hate us! lol.

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Wow I can't believe I'm going to say this-

I fully agree with Papa Bear on this issue.(that wasn't so bad)

Joey I'm able to see what your saying and it is a good point, but it is exactly the point the cpsc and big government in general wants us to accept. It is incrementalism at it's finest. They know very well the huge national uproar that would happen if they banned the future sales of utv's. Not only would we the people be outraged, but all the Major manufacturers would dump millions of dollars fighting it. The Cpsc knows that it would get so big that they would lose that battle. Instead they are trying to take small jabs here and there both at us and the manufacturers. They have successfully pitted us against the people who make utv's. How dumb is that when the real enemy is the Cpsc. They will take this win then when the dust settles they will take another jab. If we keep amputating one limb at a time then soon there are no more limbs and the gov't wins. I really wish the Manufacturers would push back and quit being the cpsc's pawn. Every one keeps saying this is just like the 3 wheelers. Well it is. The cpsc successfully bullied manufacturers into getting rid of a product. The bullying won't stop with a few laws. Liberal gov't run agencies will never be satisfied until they control every facet of our lives.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APxGubAkOz0"]Boiling Frog Experiment - YouTube[/ame]

We are the frogs in the water and we are fighting with each other Just as the cpsc wants. We are saying the water is getting hot and it's going to kill us and you are saying that we should be grateful we get to keep and enjoy the water because somebody was going to take it away completely. You should be using your contacts with the manufacturers to change their opinions. It appears that you would rather take a free machine every year to test for them and keep that relationship alive instead of fighting for what is right and the people who support you. You keep saying for us to look at the bigger picture when you can't even see the flames under the pot.

You thought people were pissed about a freaking little helmet law in one of 50 states. Go ahead and ban the Utv's. Wait till you see the uprising then. Remember what happened with prohibition? How did that work out for the gov't? At some point all us little individuals need to stand up and let gov't know they work for us. We are in charge.

EFAJEEP

Jul 21, 2010
Bolt in sub floor and extended handle grip set up...... Oh, you have a bolt in rear bench seat. Well go re register your machine under special construction.

Your right, I will probably do that. I'm really hoping ranger discretion will be good ole commom sense

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Garrett, dude,...it's gonna be OK! Take that crazy helmet off and breathe......aaaahhhh, now stop taking your lunch break next to power lines.....!!
The crazy thing is, a lot of UTV owners are previous jeep, quad, bike owners who moved into the UTV for the easier and safer experience,...one in which we can share more with our families (Four seaters). I'll just take the ticket and get a fake I.D. with Papa Bear's name on it. (Ill register my rzr under Garrett's).

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Your right, I will probably do that. I'm really hoping ranger discretion will be good ole commom sense

COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the eff is that? that shiz went out the window years ago when the lawyers started suing homeowners for shooting their intruders.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Wow I can't believe I'm going to say this-

I fully agree with Papa Bear on this issue.(that wasn't so bad)

Joey I'm able to see what your saying and it is a good point, but it is exactly the point the cpsc and big government in general wants us to accept. It is incrementalism at it's finest. They know very well the huge national uproar that would happen if they banned the future sales of utv's. Not only would we the people be outraged, but all the Major manufacturers would dump millions of dollars fighting it. The Cpsc knows that it would get so big that they would lose that battle. Instead they are trying to take small jabs here and there both at us and the manufacturers. They have successfully pitted us against the people who make utv's. How dumb is that when the real enemy is the Cpsc. They will take this win then when the dust settles they will take another jab. If we keep amputating one limb at a time then soon there are no more limbs and the gov't wins. I really wish the Manufacturers would push back and quit being the cpsc's pawn. Every one keeps saying this is just like the 3 wheelers. Well it is. The cpsc successfully bullied manufacturers into getting rid of a product. The bullying won't stop with a few laws. Liberal gov't run agencies will never be satisfied until they control every facet of our lives.

Boiling Frog Experiment - YouTube

We are the frogs in the water and we are fighting with each other Just as the cpsc wants. We are saying the water is getting hot and it's going to kill us and you are saying that we should be grateful we get to keep and enjoy the water because somebody was going to take it away completely. You should be using your contacts with the manufacturers to change their opinions. It appears that you would rather take a free machine every year to test for them and keep that relationship alive instead of fighting for what is right and the people who support you. You keep saying for us to look at the bigger picture when you can't even see the flames under the pot.

You thought people were pissed about a freaking little helmet law in one of 50 states. Go ahead and ban the Utv's. Wait till you see the uprising then. Remember what happened with prohibition? How did that work out for the gov't? At some point all us little individuals need to stand up and let gov't know they work for us. We are in charge.

The Manufacturers are in fact FIGHTING back against the CPSC here.... by instituting law based around RULES they already have put in their Manuals for years that EVERYONE IGNORES! lol If people (me included) would all just have followed the rules set forth by manufacturers in the manuals and on warning labels in the first place there would have been no lawsuits, CPSC would be fighting other battles, and we wouldn't be where we are at in terms of discussing this matter....

In the end, I think I am enjoying playing devils advocate here. I am not willing to just throw the manufacturers under the bus in all of this. They are doing what they FEEL they need to do to preserve their ability to make the type of machines WE WANT. Simple as that. We may not agree with the methods but the motives ARE just that SIMPLE.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012

From what I have read and the way I read the law, vehicles under 1000cc will be subject to these laws. It does not matter if you are reg as Special Construction or not. Your vehicle will fit the new ROV category. Also from doing special constructions in the past, just adding a few ad on's is not usually enough to get a SC registration.

Also we dont know if a modified subfloor will be legal. It did not come from the manufacture like that, and that is part of why these manufactures want this law. It's to stop aftermarket altering of the vehicle.

I care about being able to use these machines legally for a long time. I will build sub floors, add handle grip extensions, change how my registration lists my vehicle, wear helmets, put snowboard or skateboard (lightweight) helmets on my kids, and do what i need to do to continue to be able to do business and enjoy this hobby and sport all while allowing manufacturers to be able to keep building bigger badder machines.
As the law is written today, only DOT helmets are legal. So Joey I guess technically our Snell rated race helmets dont meet the requirements. You and I know the Snell rated Helmet is better, but the law does not state that! Our helmets dont have the DOT label on them. Bike, snow & skate are not DOT either.

My daughter will wear her Snow and I will pay the ticket if it come to that.

Also with putting a CC limit on the engines why would the Manufactures build anything bigger? if they do it takes them out of the ROV listing and out of their protection cocoon.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
People keep saying that all the manus care about is bottom line. Sure, what company doesn't care about bottom line. But what people seem to forget is that if they cant keep building machines there is NO BOTTOM LINE! lol

Manufacturers care about being able to build the machines that make them money. I care about being able to use these machines legally for a long time. I will build sub floors, add handle grip extensions, change how my registration lists my vehicle, wear helmets, put snowboard or skateboard (lightweight) helmets on my kids, and do what i need to do to continue to be able to do business and enjoy this hobby and sport all while allowing manufacturers to be able to keep building bigger badder machines.

Ahhhhhhhh the sky is falling, the man is out to get us, the manufacturers hate us! lol.
No you dont, great points.
It currently looks like my T-4 will soon be a 1969 Toyota FJ-55 rockcrawler..........

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010

Maybe you can change things that easy in California, but in a lot of states, including Colorado, you can't just change how your RZR is registered.

We have been fighting for several years to be able to get license plates in Colorado so we can legally ride from trail to trail. The statement from ROHVA will make it even harder if not impossible to get that to happen.

Desertcat

Jun 1, 2012
Arizona
The SXS, UTV or now ROV's are a way for my family to enjoy the offroad and back country. We love going to the sand dunes and I have been taking both of my children since they were 2 1/2. They are 4 and 6 now and love to ride. I am hoping to buy a new 4 seat factory machine and hope I can still engage them with it. I will abid buy the rules the best I can but pleae don't make laws that family's can't fallow. I 6 year old sat in a RZR 4 this weekend at the dealer and her feet are 6" from the floor with her sitting in the seat properly. With 3" inches of height she will no longer need a booster seat in AZ but can't ride in my UTV????

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010

Well said.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The SXS, UTV or now ROV's are a way for my family to enjoy the offroad and back country. We love going to the sand dunes and I have been taking both of my children since they were 2 1/2. They are 4 and 6 now and love to ride. I am hoping to buy a new 4 seat factory machine and hope I can still engage them with it. I will abid buy the rules the best I can but pleae don't make laws that family's can't fallow. I 6 year old sat in a RZR 4 this weekend at the dealer and her feet are 6" from the floor with her sitting in the seat properly. With 3" inches of height she will no longer need a booster seat in AZ but can't ride in my UTV????
Bolt in sub floor and extended passenger grab handles. Done deal. If this law does pass these things will be made by aftermarket companies and I know a few already drawing up prototypes. It will make for new storage compartments too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000