New law requiring helmets in california

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Yep it just passed. I heard that in goes into effect in January. Helmets will be required in off highway vehicles. Also rear addon on seats that are very common are now officially illegal unless designed by the manufacturer of the ohv.

The Law can be found here.

Thanks you commie legislators in California. First you steal the off road money, now you want to Impose more crap laws.

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
New law requiring helmets in California!!

Yep it just passed. I heard that in goes into effect in January. Helmets will be required in off highway vehicles. Also rear addon on seats that are very common are now officially illegal unless designed by the manufacturer of the ohv.

The Law can be found here.

Thanks you commie legislators in California. First you steal the off road money, now you want to Impose more crap laws.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Apparently the Consumer Products Safety Commission, ( The same people that brought the lead ban in child motorcycles) is attempting to disrupt the sale of UTV's. This California Law is an attempt to starve off that effort. I don't know all the ends and outs, but I have some additional calls in on this subject.

This is yet another example of why we need to create a strong user based association that represents UTV owners. We will face additional attacks against our sport, and currently we have no voice.

I urge you all to consider attending the ISA convention so we can organize this effort and start gaining a voice for UTV and SXS owners.

Joey and I are in discussions on how best to present the information on the convention, and we hope to have additional details soon. It will be held at Glamis North KOA October 18-21. The actual convention meeting will be Sunday Morning Oct 21st.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Re: New law requiring helmets in California!!

Apparently the Consumer Products Safety Commission, ( The same people that brought the lead ban in child motorcycles) is attempting to disrupt the sale of UTV's. This California Law is an attempt to starve off that effort. I don't know all the ends and outs, but I have some additional calls in on this subject.

This is yet another example of why we need to create a strong user based association that represents UTV owners. We will face additional attacks against our sport, and currently we have no voice.

I urge you all to consider attending the ISA convention so we can organize this effort and start gaining a voice for UTV and SXS owners.

Joey and I are in discussions on how best to present the information on the convention, and we hope to have additional details soon. It will be held at Glamis North KOA October 18-21. The actual convention meeting will be Sunday Morning Oct 21st.

Larger displacement is currently excluded, but my sources tell me the CPSC is attempting to place limits on that as well.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I might be stepping out on a "big limb" but I believe this stems more from frivolous lawsuits made by retarded "users" against manufactures.... look how many people sued and won against Yamaha.... what did it do to them?? how far behind the curve are they now? Possibly "they" meaning manufactures, helped pave the way, less head injuries, means less lawsuits... More common sense would be, don't drive drunk, don't drive like an idiot, know your machine and it's capabilities, because a large portion of our fellow OHV riders, have NO FREAKING CLUE!!!! they hop in, punch the gas, and decide they need to turn, NOW.... Did I just spell ROLLOVER... We've all seen it happen. Maybe some people should own up to the fact that they caused the accident, but why would you do that when you might be able to find blame in daddy fat sacks and sue him...I believe the manufactures might be trying to help cover their A$$... Why else would they distinguish 1000cc, because they don't plan on making any with larger motors would be good reasoning....Highly doubt the "union" is behind this, helmets are made overseas, they wouldn't profit...BTW, I don't agree with the law, just stating an observation from the outside... I personally ride 98% of the time without my helmet, But i dont have a problem with owning up to my injuries when I cause them

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
I think we'll move back to Wyoming. Possible the reason for the 1001cc and over exclusion is to exlude the full sizes like Scouts, jeeps, trucks ect.......

F**K the gov't

loco

Loco Time - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
Placerville, CA
So is this part of the law telling me I can't have my son securely strapped in a premey seat?

38604. A person operating a recreational off-highway vehicle shall not
ride with a passenger, unless the passenger, while seated upright with his
or her back against the seatback with both feet flat on the floorboard, can
grasp the occupant handhold with the seatbelt and shoulder belt or safety
harness properly fastened.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
Hey Chris, the jeeps and scouts and dune buggys and sandrails are all included....The link for the "new" vehicle code explains it pretty well... anything that is meant primarily for "off-road" The "big" auto makers don't make vehicles that are made for off-road, hence why everyone pulls there truck to the pavement when they roll it, blow the tranny/motor showing off to their buddies...The warranty doesn't cover "off-road" People in Wyoming have what I like to call "common sense" so this doesn't apply... you want to go out and cruise around without a helmet and hurt yourself, don't come looking to pick our pockets our the manufactures... You know, cause Mr. Yamaha put a gun to your temple, said mash the gas you pu$$y, lets see what this pile of crap I made you buy can do....

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
California is just the first step, look for this to go national.

I don't really get heart burn over most of it, but I don't see any way they will enforce this, and I hate dumb laws that can't be enforced.

The biggest problem I have is the feet on floor rule. My wife can't currently meet the requirement to ride in my UTV under this law. I really have a hard time with a double standard. Children can ride in an automobile but not an OHV?

For me doing this with my family has always been a high priority.
I am smart enough to get around the law, but I still don't like it. I have already expressed my displeasure and will be continuing to look into options.

There is more to the story here, I just have not found the bottom yet. its gonna take a few days to fish this out.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Wow.. I'd say the portion stating a passengers feet must sit flat on the ground will effect the industry more than the helmet deal. On hot days and night rides I'll where a half helmet or German style helmet... no biggie there but there are a lot of people who bought RZR4s and T4's with young kids that won't be able to flat foot it.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
after a little research, I stumbled upon an interesting piece of info

AB 1595

(Sacramento CA. July 10, 2012) CORVA has learned in the past month or so of a new legislative proposal affecting UTV's like the Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger, Arctic Cat Wildcat.

The proposed legislation, authored by Assembly Member Cook and sponsored/supported by Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association ("ROHVA") Kawasaki Motors Corporation.

The bill started out on February 06, 2012 as a proposal regarding sales taxes and related items.

The proposal was gutted and amended (very quietly)on March, 29th in an Assembly committee to much of what the bill now provides.

Since that time, the bill has had some minor amendments but has passed the Assembly 71 to 0 and the Senate 36 to 0. CORVA expects by the time you read this that the bill will be on the Governor's desk for his signature and then Chaptered into law. [Update, the Gov signed the bill]

I'm no psychic, but I could try picking your mega millions #'s if you're willing to slpit the winnings :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000