New BITD points rule for 2015

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
The previous point systems wasn't perfect (never liked the throwaway race much but understood why it was there) but this is really counter-intuitive on a number of levels, but this is one of a number of rules changes that I firmly believe are bad for UTV racing as a whole (allowing turbos is another really bad decision..and something that only one person in over a dozen that I have spoken to seems in favor of) There are a lot of good informed racers in the UTV ranks, that I dont think ever had any input in a number of the new rules that were made. Disappointed.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I totally agree... we should...shouldn't there be a committee that has racers on it that would represent the racers opinion. The unilateral decisions coming out just dont seem to be making sense for the betterment of our class.

Reactions: 1 person

Jug Bug

Sep 6, 2014
I agree 100%! Like I said before I've never heard of one person decision making policy not in this country anyways. Example...racer making rules, enforcing rules, interpreting rules, in business building cars, deciding who and what's legal doesn't take a genius to see problems with this. Not just Cory but anyone in this position is compromised because it's fundamentally flawed. No one person should have or even want this much control when its obviously going to be perceived as biased. Honestly surprised I even have to point that out.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I totally agree... we should...shouldn't there be a committee that has racers on it that would represent the racers opinion. The unilateral decisions coming out just dont seem to be making sense for the betterment of our class.
Back in the Day Score used to have Class Rep's. Someone from each class , who was a racer acted as the Rep for the class to the Series. What this did is it let the class as a whole have a collected voice to the Series promoter, Tech Director or whoever the issues were directed too. This did not keep racers from having direct contact with the Series, but when it came to Rule Changes, or possible issues with the class it allowed for one voice to sit down directly with the person in charge and work with them to rectify the issue.

Also I think so many in the UTV class dont realize the power if organized this class could have. Right now the UTV class is following what the promoters are doing. Instead as a Collective Org, you guys should be requesting what you want. Not many classes have this power as they dont hold the consistent entry numbers the UTV class has.

As a group you guys could go to any promoter and ask for support. If you dont like what BITD is offering as far as races, points system, Entry Fee's ect.. go shop around. Go to a series like SNORE, and sit down with Brian and see what he would offer the UTV class if you as a group chose to race the SNORE series.

I can assure you you will race with the 4 wheel classes as they dont race bikes. You will in most cases get most if not all the mileage in a race. Plus SNORE's entry fee's are much cheaper. You could also establish the rules, which I would assume would mirror SCORE and possibly BITD as you want to keep the class rules uniform over all the series, to keep the investment in the UTV class is high as possible.

Snore races on much of the same terrain as BITD. And as a group you could ask that SNORE reduces the entry's more, offer a better end of season payout or part of the deal is they get someone like Polaris or another Manufacture to be a series sponsor in order for the UTV Org. to make the move to their series. BTW this is not a push to SNORE, you could go to any Promoter and see what they have to offer. I just used SNORE as an example as they are established, race in the same location as BITD and have been trying to get the UTV class over there.

You guys are in the drivers seats, but if you dont get organized you will not be able to use the power and wave of momentum the UTV class is currently riding on.

Another great option would be to contact & sit down with Mad Media. You could work with them and have them act as the UTV Racers Agent. They are currently working with BITD with the Mint, they are part of this new UTV Champioship race. This is two races that the UTV's are already part of.

Who knows you might establish your own series, which races within several series. For example your first race is the Mad Media UTV Champioships, then you go to the Mad Media BITD Mint 400, then to a Score race, then to a Snore race. You find the best 5 races that fit the UTV's the best and that becomes your series. The Mad Media UTV Championship Series.

Reactions: 1 person

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
i sent in an email to BITD and got a call from Casey. I mentioned there was a lot of concern mostly cons, and not one pro yet.

He explained the pro side and said he would re-evaulate. He mentioned he only recieved 2 emails on the subject other than Cory, and that was Bill Schueler and myself. I explained my thoughts, he said they would re-evaluate and call me back.

They just called back and said this was going to hurt more people than it would help, therefore they are retracting the change in the bonus points.

I feel better about it, hope you all do as well.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Guys there was a lot of people who did not like this bonus thing, you have to speak up and email [email protected] on any questions or issues regarding what ever it may be. Do not rely on Cory to be your voice, it really isnt his job.

If more of us spoke up of concern, this bonus thing probably would have been retracted earlier. I am glad i sent in an email last night.

Thanks Bill S for the same.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
i sent in an email to BITD and got a call from Casey. I mentioned there was a lot of concern mostly cons, and not one pro yet.

He explained the pro side and said he would re-evaulate. He mentioned he only recieved 2 emails on the subject other than Cory, and that was Bill Schueler and myself. I explained my thoughts, he said they would re-evaluate and call me back.

They just called back and said this was going to hurt more people than it would help, therefore they are retracting the change in the bonus points.

I feel better about it, hope you all do as well.
Good Job! Let your voice be heard!

So are they retracting this end of season Bonus Points for all classes or just the UTV class?

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Good Job! Let your voice be heard!

So are they retracting this end of season Bonus Points for all classes or just the UTV class?
It is across the board. Casey is cool, they sat down over at BITD and looked at all the scenarios, and it turned out more people could get hurt pointswise by this than that would by adding the bonus.

There were 4 BITD racers that lost championships do to the dropped race deal, and they lost serious sponsors because of it. But in the long run, doing the bonus would not provide less cons, so for now they shelved it. I am sure it will come up again.

One thing i think might help, is change the points up a little. Leave the current points format, but also give one point for every mile completed. This way, a dnf is not as detrimental. Casey said with their current points tracking technology, they cant do that, but would consider it for future.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
It is across the board. Casey is cool, they sat down over at BITD and looked at all the scenarios, and it turned out more people could get hurt pointswise by this than that would by adding the bonus.

There were 4 BITD racers that lost championships do to the dropped race deal, and they lost serious sponsors because of it. But in the long run, doing the bonus would not provide less cons, so for now they shelved it. I am sure it will come up again.

One thing i think might help, is change the points up a little. Leave the current points format, but also give one point for every mile completed. This way, a dnf is not as detrimental. Casey said with their current points tracking technology, they cant do that, but would consider it for future.
I know BITD is not going to want to follow Score's point system of giving Starting & Finishing points. But what they could do is base your race points off of check points if you do not finish the race. So even with a DNF you could still get some points based on what your last check point was.

Or do like NASCAR and everyone gets points if you finish or not, its just a strait across points table. First place gets X amount of points and its calculated down. So if 20 cars take the green flag all 20 cars will get scored points with 1st place getting the most and 20th getting the least. This format could use the mileage marker you were DNF'ed at as to mark your finishing position vs. the rest of the class.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
As said above ^^^ maybe award points based on entries. If the Mint had 60 entries then first would get 60 points, second 59, etc. It would keep things tight and give points all the way down the order. It would get teams to rally their buddies to race and keep entries up. As Todd said people who DNF would be scored by the last check point they went through.

rupert14

Raber Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 14, 2010
As said above ^^^ maybe award points based on entries. If the Mint had 60 entries then first would get 60 points, second 59, etc. It would keep things tight and give points all the way down the order. It would get teams to rally their buddies to race and keep entries up. As Todd said people who DNF would be scored by the last check point they went through.
I like this scenario best. The more cars in the race, the harder to win, the more points for doing it. If only 3 cars enter, winner gets 3 points

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I have all kinds of cool ideas to boost the UTV series. You could have a Manufacture Points Championship, Constuctors Championship & Tire Championship. These would be bragging rights Championships, but it would bread more competition within the class & the companys involved with the class which is a good thing for the sport. Plus these companies could use this as advertising of thier product, which in turn makes them want to be in the sport.

The wheels are always turning in my head! You should have seen me when I was racing & marketing a race car. Or when I built the Best of the Best 5/1600 Shootout. I was a marketing maniac!

Jug Bug

Sep 6, 2014
Maybe this is an opportunity for you to create an organizational structure. Put together a basic plan and see if there's enough support for it to move forward. You seem to be the right guy for the job.....you have the vision!

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
I have all kinds of cool ideas to boost the UTV series. You could have a Manufacture Points Championship, Constuctors Championship & Tire Championship. These would be bragging rights Championships, but it would bread more competition within the class & the companys involved with the class which is a good thing for the sport. Plus these companies could use this as advertising of thier product, which in turn makes them want to be in the sport.

The wheels are always turning in my head! You should have seen me when I was racing & marketing a race car. Or when I built the Best of the Best 5/1600 Shootout. I was a marketing maniac!
Great idea, time to get working for a change in 2015.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
I know BITD is not going to want to follow Score's point system of giving Starting & Finishing points. But what they could do is base your race points off of check points if you do not finish the race. So even with a DNF you could still get some points based on what your last check point was.

Or do like NASCAR and everyone gets points if you finish or not, its just a strait across points table. First place gets X amount of points and its calculated down. So if 20 cars take the green flag all 20 cars will get scored points with 1st place getting the most and 20th getting the least. This format could use the mileage marker you were DNF'ed at as to mark your finishing position vs. the rest of the class.
Bitd's current points system already awards starting and finishing points then you receive position points as per the pro points table which is on the website.
In the last several years v2r and Henderson both awarded double position point.
The position points are already calculated based on your last checkpoint if you dnf
The current system is really not that bad.
I have mixed thoughts on the throw out race. I think I would rather see you be able to miss one race and still be eligible for the championship but I understand why they don't do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000