New AZ helmet laws for UTV's

honda1971

How BAD do you want your LAND? - UTVUnderground Ap
Feb 11, 2009
Litchfield Park
Just an FYI, the legal definition of an ATV has changed and now includes UTVs (side by side vehicles). Red section is what was added to the ARS. What this means is that kids under 18 are now required to wear a helmet while operating or riding in a UTV. The yellow OHV handout is being reprinted to include the new information.

3. "All-terrain vehicle" means either of the following:
(a) A motor vehicle that satisfies all of the following:
(i) Is designed primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel.
(ii) Is fifty or fewer inches in width.
(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand two hundred pounds or less.
(iv) Travels on three or more nonhighway tires.
(v) Has a seat to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control.
(vi) Is operated on a public highway.

(b) A recreational off-highway vehicle that satisfies all of the following:
(ii) Is sixty-four or fewer inches in width.
(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand eight hundred pounds or less.
(iv) Travels on four or more nonhighway tires.
(v) Has a nonstraddle seat and a steering wheel for steering control.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00101.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Wow! I wonder who is pushing this? Could this be an attempt to appease ROVHA and to keep their lobbyist from trying to get a bill authored like what was done in California? Or is this just the tip of the iceberg for what is coming to AZ?

When talking to Paul Cook's administration back when he was in the Assembly, I was told ROVHA was looking at 4 other Western States for Assemblymen they could pitch their bill too.

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
OK I just gotta say it to the guys who always say glad i live in Arizona.........right back at ya..:)

honda1971

How BAD do you want your LAND? - UTVUnderground Ap
Feb 11, 2009
Litchfield Park
Interesting point, I am not sure the where the source of this change came from. I think it is just the start of the nanny state until off-roaders stand united and fight all the new regulations.

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
Children under 18 have always had to wear a helmet while driving in a STREET LEGAL UTV.
i thought that was the law for about 2 years now here in az and no riding double on any atv not meant for passengers..... i read it on the internet, it must be true.BONJUR LOL

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
i thought that was the law for about 2 years now here in az and no riding double on any atv not meant for passengers..... i read it on the internet, it must be true.BONJUR LOL
Are you a French Model by any chance?:D

Familyman

Family. It's about time.
Jan 24, 2011
Mesa, Az
Just an FYI, the legal definition of an ATV has changed and now includes UTVs (side by side vehicles). Red section is what was added to the ARS. What this means is that kids under 18 are now required to wear a helmet while operating or riding in a UTV. The yellow OHV handout is being reprinted to include the new information.

3. "All-terrain vehicle" means either of the following:
(a) A motor vehicle that satisfies all of the following:
(ii) Is fifty or fewer inches in width.
(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand two hundred pounds or less.
(iv) Travels on three or more nonhighway tires.
(v) Has a seat to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control.
(vi) Is operated on a public highway.

(b) A recreational off-highway vehicle that satisfies all of the following:
(ii) Is sixty-four or fewer inches in width.
(iii) Has an unladen weight of one thousand eight hundred pounds or less.
(iv) Travels on four or more nonhighway tires.
(v) Has a nonstraddle seat and a steering wheel for steering control.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00101.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS
Just did some research on this and it looks like it was passed back in 2011 and would have gone into effect that year. Wonder why this is just coming up. The pamphlet you mention was revised for 2012 and it clearly states no helmets are required in rovs. Is game and fish just behind the ball on current legislation? If they can't keep up with laws from 2 years ago then how do they expect us to? I have a copy of the 2012 guide I keep with me in case I get hassled by an Leo.i will be discussing this with a friend of mine in the legislature.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
I think we the Offroad Community should start pushing for Helmets to be worn by all occupants of Motor vehicles in the Name of safety since Headinjuries and Lives could be saved . Imagine how Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer would feel about putting on a Helmet after getting there $500 Hairdoo and heading out to Dinner. LOL. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000