"Nessie" Lucas SR1 Class Build

KenBenson#999

Nov 21, 2011
Queen Creek AZ
With the Lucas Regionals gaining the traction that they have in the past year and years of watching the SR1 class run the time has come to put one together. There is nothing like the sound/power of these cars. I am a bit skeptical that it is going to be as easy to drive competively as Jason Weller and Dustin Nelson make it look but it will be great challenge and should get the ticker pumping pretty good when I get behind the wheel!. I know its going to be a completely different feeling than the unlimited car.

I chose the Nessie chassis for the build being my primary sponsor DragonFire Racing developed the platform several years ago for corrs and baja. Although the program was discontinued it is still an engineered chassis that has been race proven and an easy crossover to a sr1 build. I also wanted to somewhat step outside the box of the Yamaha dominated class. Several minor changes were made to accomadate the Kawasaki zx10 engine and general weight savings.

The motor mounting kit, driveline including axles, hubs ect, radiator are all Weller Racing compenents. The Weller sr1 products are quality, well made and proven. Having the best in the sr1 world pointing you in the right dirrection is a huge asset also.

To date the chassis is coming together, motor has been mached. Assembly should start in the coming weeks with wiring tin work to follow along with all the little details.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
Nice! I keep hearing of more SR1 cars getting built for next year. We should see some good car counts for 2014.

KenBenson#999

Nov 21, 2011
Queen Creek AZ
Nessie 1 was designed and built using a stock teryx frame, frame rails, length of the car, suspension pick up points ect. are all maintained. The car has a lengthened appearance because the arms are +4 forward and back as well as widened.

Nessie 2 was a production base chassis that was modified from the original design. It did have a 100% tube chassis that did not incorperate a stock frame. I think it may have been lengthened along with other changes to speed up production and cut costs.

We used the Nessie 1 design because it was the only way the lucas requirements can be met, stock frame rails, pick up points ect. The rule book makes allowances for forwar/back arms as well as + width. I would have much rather not incorpereated the stock frame as it is weak point, was a bunch of extra work to cut all the junk off it and I had to buy a huge hunk of metal that I stripped down to almost nothing.

Attachments

Poopy

May 16, 2013
Oh man this is awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to change my KOH teryx to a short course teryx, and the Nessie platform is what I really want. Keep up with the build please!

KenBenson#999

Nov 21, 2011
Queen Creek AZ
Things are progressing, slower than I would like but what I expected realistically. We are getting to the all the little details now. Steering is mached up with a 2:1 howe quickner, gearone rack, unisteer power steering, seat and fuel cell mounted. Tin work has begun and shock mount points will be set soon. We mounted the stock teryx pedals and look like they will work out good and save a bunch of work.

Attachments

Kilgore23

Dec 12, 2012
Car is looking great. I would consider a removable/replaceable rear bumper for Lucas series, especially if you plan on coating the frame. My rear bumper is beat to hell, and am going to replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000