Polaris Need XP900 Engine / CVT expert advise

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
OK I need advise & some XP 900 engine/CVT expertize. As so many have complained about before, the XP 900 & XP4 get HOT in the drivers area. So hot that in warm weather my wife does not want to ride in the XP4, and I'm tired of the heat myself. Makes me wish I kept the buggy as temp wise it was way more comfortable of a car.

I have figured out the heat is coming from the CVT exhaust duct. The CVT exhaust duct is routed and dumps hot air right on to the hot exhaust header. So your belt temps are around 200 degrees and the header is around 350. That's a lot of hot air right behind the seats. The negative pressure that is created in the foot area and under the dash causes this hot air to be pulled forward through the tunnel & floor boards instead of escaping out of the back of the UTV.

I have tried to create and make air dams to block the air from coming forward though the drive shaft tunnel. I have tried to seal up the gaps in the plastic under & around the seats, but it has not fixed or stopped the problem.

I have been looking at the ducting and would like to remove the stock CVT exhaust ducting and make a new one that re-routes the hot air out the back of the UTV.

My question is; does anyone know if the reason Polaris routed the ducting as they did, because of packaging? Or did they think blowing hot air is creating air circulation around the back side of the engine & header and that it is needed? I have tried calling Polaris to see if I could speak to someone in Technical Support or Engineering. But Polaris says this is not available, and that I'm suppose to speak to a dealership tech. You know the $10 hr kid who does prep! Yeah he's not going to know Jack Squat!

Has anyone tried to re-route the CVT exhaust ducting and if so how did it work?

I have ordered a 3.5 to 3 inch 90 degree elbow and have some high temp flex ducting hose. I'm hoping to be able to route the hot air out either the right or left rear fender area.

Any thoughts or opinions??????

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I'm not sure about CVT question. I do know I replaced my stock header because of heat... stocker melted the plastic firewall. I replaced it with BMP ceramic header (mostly b/c fire risk) and you can damn near touch the header now at full temp... gives off little to no heat anymore into cockpit area. FYI

rappy60guy

Jan 24, 2010
I would say it was an attempt to lower header temp. Im guessing if you blow 200 degree air on a 350 degree header it would lower header temps. But im probably way off

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I would say it was an attempt to lower header temp. Im guessing if you blow 200 degree air on a 350 degree header it would lower header temps. But im probably way off
That was my concern, that they were attempting to use the CVT exauhst to help cool and add air flow. I'm hoping someone will have some facts or has relocated the duct before. I can't be the first to try this? Or am I?

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Hell I'll pull mine off and just leave it open at back... give it a try. I doubt that air does diddly crap for cooling the headers. In fact, if you break / shread a belt .. some of the small pieces could get blown up on top of the headers for a good way to start a fire.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Or on another note... you could also add a blower into the intake side ... this would reduce belt temps, and keep a constant flow (regardless of rzr speed) of cooler air blowing onto headers. It'd work much better than current system for sure.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Most people run a blower motor to help cool it. I probably need one too. I leave the cover off in the dunes it just gets way too hot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
My issue is not with belt temps, but the hot air blowing from the CVT exhaust onto the header and where the exhaust is routed. Adding a blower but not changing the exhaust location, im thinking would only increase the heat in the drivers area? Right? Wrong?

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Oh I see. In that case a rear windshield and sealing up the back cover may help. You could always reroute the exhaust from the housing but that might restrict the air flow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Yeah its the classic Station wagon effect where the back draft is going forward into the front of the cab. The rear wind screen helped our friends !000 from sucking back so much dust that the windshield stays a lot cleaner on the back side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000