My Buddy got a Rhino... Now what.

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
So my buddy works for a guy who had a beat down shop Rhino. It is a 2005 660 Limited edition haha. So far he has put a filter on it and it came with an exhaust. Question is now what. I have a 2008 RZR 800 and mine pulls away from this thing like no ones business. I have watched a few rhino at least kind of hang with the RZR 800 so what do we have to do to his to get it to at least run the same speed. I am pretty sure a CDI box will help that and also a clutch kit. But their are so many kinds out there its very confusing.

Question is what is our best route from here. If anyone has some old Rhino parts laying around they want to get rid of let me know. Pretty sweet deal for free if you ask me!

desertdog615

Aug 30, 2011
Your buddy might have a got a smokin deal on the Rhino but now he will need to spend some serious money to get it to stay anywhere near your Rzr 800. He should have just paid more money for something that would keep up with anything out there, including the XP900. see attached pictures of car that is for sale.

Attachments

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
well the Rhino was free so between the $15 filter and the $107 axle he bought I think he is still ahead. The real problem with it is the governor shuts it down around 35 MPH I believe. Just looking to increase that a touch and maybe get it to accelerate faster. Its pretty fun for what it is and when its tips over its not the end of the world.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
CDI and clutch/sheave is a good start. He will need to dig into the motor to really wake it up. A 686 kit with good porting,, cam and exhaust really wakes up the rhino motor.

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
I have a stage 2 hot cam for a 660 rhino I will donate to his build only if he gives me his word he won't turn around and sell it. Pm me if he is interested

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
I also recommend a hot rod sheave, they are the best in my opinion. And as far as a cdi I had a dynatec and mine ran awesome for a underpowered almost stock machine

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Drew

If your buddy has a chance have him contact Chris at Benchmark Performance in Ramona, CA........explain the deal and let Chris lay out options.......simple., easy-inexpensive vs complex, harder more costly......

there isn't a more knowledgeable, pragmatic guy when it comes to Rhino's......than Chris.......google "The flying Banana"

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
He has been peeping on a full Benchmark motor on the internet but I had to explain to him only part of the power is in the motor. I think before he adds that he would have to run some better suspension. hahaha

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Sell it and buy a RZR!!!!:eek: NAW...J/K...Kinda. Performance wise I wouldnt waste another dollar on a rhino, however there are a few minor things that can make some ok power.

nottoli

Apr 24, 2013
Drew

Don't listen to these guys:) Free and slow = money in bank.........expensive and fast = no money!!

Your buddy is ahead of the curve with the rhino and virtually no out of pocket cost.......Chris will put him through a Q & A to flush out exactly what he wants to do with the rig.....

even if he spend money on suspension and some motor he is still way ahead vs buying even an 800.

he got a good deal.......he needs to exploit it for what it's worth........there will be plenty of time and lots more rigs to buy if he decides he wants to step it up a bit.......and as you have seen there are lots of closet rhino guys from back in the day who have parts and knowledge, and even with a a 1000 in their garage still most likely reminisce about the good ol'e days when rhino's ruled the dez.

Good luck

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I want it to wheelie downhill like the one in your signature hahaha
It can be done!!! I had 30K in that car at my cost and my labor:eek: Its basically a R1 conversion with a gear reduction box.:DThat was a fun car. I sold it recently to a guy who likes it more than I did! Im super stoked a Guy like him got it.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Drew

Don't listen to these guys:) Free and slow = money in bank.........expensive and fast = no money!!

Your buddy is ahead of the curve with the rhino and virtually no out of pocket cost.......Chris will put him through a Q & A to flush out exactly what he wants to do with the rig.....

even if he spend money on suspension and some motor he is still way ahead vs buying even an 800.

he got a good deal.......he needs to exploit it for what it's worth........there will be plenty of time and lots more rigs to buy if he decides he wants to step it up a bit.......and as you have seen there are lots of closet rhino guys from back in the day who have parts and knowledge, and even with a a 1000 in their garage still most likely reminisce about the good ol'e days when rhino's ruled the dez.

Good luck
What he said! A maxed out built 800 RZR makes 50hp about the same or less than a Benchmark 686.Also you can find good used long travel kits for 2500.00 or less.Good luck!

07rhintax

Mar 9, 2013
Depending on the type of riding he does I think long travel kit would be a better bang for your buck. My cousin had a BB 840 teryx and couldn't keep up with my brothers long travel 700 rhino in the turns and through the whoops

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Some of my best times were in my 660 Rhino out it the technical areas of Ocotillo between S22 and Truckhaven locked up in 4 lo...or racing around in the desert with my RZR S and my brother chasing me in his SoCal Fab/ Benchmark built Rhino...the Rhinos are great to get out and wheel in but are expensive to get into the 55+ mph area with reliability. Have fun with it but keep in mind what it is and isn't

Mar 31, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
That is exactly what I told him. We have already been out in the woods chasing each other down but it is kind of lame when his stops at 35 haha. 50 would make him a happy camper and you are correct. It is what it is and that's a free Rhino to get him out and ripping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000