All UTV's motor oil for R1 engine?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
well after lots of reading on street bike forums i see most guys are running Mobil1 MX4T 10W40 oil, Amsoil 10W40 and a few guys run Castrol 20W50 for hot weather areas with frequent oil changes.

now being the cheap ass i am i always ran the Castrol 20W50 in my banshee and changed the oil every other dune trip and never had any issues.

but with the R1 motor i bought what Weller recomended(Torco T4R 10W40). now with i need to change oil this weekend in the dunes to get rid of my startup oil and want to make sure i use the correct oil.

i understand with the R1 in a UTV it will get hotter and have less airflow than in a bike, so should i be a cheapo and run Castrol 20W50 or run the good stuff?

also how often should i change oil with the good stuff?

cls 78

Valentine Motorsports - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 3, 2009
Norco
well after lots of reading on street bike forums i see most guys are running Mobil1 MX4T 10W40 oil, Amsoil 10W40 and a few guys run Castrol 20W50 for hot weather areas with frequent oil changes.

now being the cheap ass i am i always ran the Castrol 20W50 in my banshee and changed the oil every other dune trip and never had any issues.

but with the R1 motor i bought what Weller recomended(Torco T4R 10W40). now with i need to change oil this weekend in the dunes to get rid of my startup oil and want to make sure i use the correct oil.

i understand with the R1 in a UTV it will get hotter and have less airflow than in a bike, so should i be a cheapo and run Castrol 20W50 or run the good stuff?

also how often should i change oil with the good stuff?

I am thinking it's all preference. When I raced Lightning Sprints (street bike motor powered) My motor builder recommended the Mobil 1. Another motor builder that I know recommends Kendall (can remember the weights). I ran my Lightning Sprint for 4 years with no problems. I did change the oil about every 2-3 races. I currently run the Kendall oil, and have not had any issues, and I change the oil about every 3 trips / races. That being said, I might be changing back to the Mobil 1 in the future, just due to the availability. I can only seem to find the Kendall at Kar Tek, and the Mobil 1 is at most Auto Zones, and Kragens.

Hope I didn't confuse too much.

Mike V

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Mike - for any hot running engine always run synthetic. Much better heat performance then dino...Mobil 1 is a group III synthetic, meaning it is not a "true" synthetic. It is highly refined crude oil (chemically altered to provide better uniform structure). Amsoil, Torco and Motul are Group IV, meaning they are true synthetics (not refined crude oil). They are chemically engineered using pure synthetic materials.

Read through this: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
Then call me!:D

10W-40 would be a good choice for your engine...what is your oil temps? Do they exceed 230???

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
i am running castrol its the synthetic oil yamaha recomends and it can bought at a yamaha shop or any bike shop...

elmerkit

Apr 14, 2010
Hello there, I use motul engine oil 10w40 grade so far so good I can really feel the difference using different brand. I heard that castrol brand are prone to sludge can anyone confirm it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000