Mini Raptor Trophy Truck--RZR

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Hey guys,
Someone here saw our build over on the 'RZRforums' site and thought it would be interesting to share here as well. Not sure what to call it yet; open to suggestions. It's basically just an RZR chassis with an APEX sled engine swap. I designed the body to easily accommodate different track and wheel bases, and we are doing 86" WB and 64" track width for this first one. The drawing shows this and is accurate; the car is scaled perfectly to it...with 27.5" tires. We are stretching an 800 frame 9" (or an XP frame 4.6") in the driver/passenger area for more legroom, as the seats are lowered a little and slid back.

The body, integrated with the RZR frame(s), is what's kind of different here...and a big PITA! ...after that it's really nothing that hasn't already been done. The toughest part was actually designing the body to look 'right' but work on a UTV size/chassis, but still have plenty of headroom to be comfortable. This is done with a bit of 'illusion'...as in...from the side, you only 'see' about 40" of cab height (which is too short) but we actually have about 45" on the inside. Same as my car. Sounds easy enough, but I have a dozen previous renderings that look really bad. Everything is magnified with it being so small.

Last edited:

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Sure, no problem. As is, the body will go to 92" WB and you can go shorter than 86", as the bedside will just encroach a bit more on the cab. We could make different bedsides too, but I'm sure this will accommodate most UTV guys like it is.

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Finally got the front end done, the lights/grill area was tough to get right, but scaled perfectly to the full size version trophy truck (technically it's a luxury pre-runner lol...)

Last edited:

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Sorry fellas, been neglecting this thread a bit. Too busy doing the stuff that pays the bills. The molds are finally finished and should have panels back from the glass guys shortly. Was a slight change of plans for this first car...we are doing a XP1 with a Z1 turbo engine swap instead of the XP900 APEX. Still doing the APEX (my car) but doing a Z1 for somone else. So, here are the plugs when I finished with them. You can see where we split the 1-pc front clip, and where the door seams are. Cannot wait to get body panels and start building!

Had to widen the bedsides by 2" after I had them built. I love re-doing mistakes; really simple add/subtract math error = 15hrs of work. Probably could have gotten away with it, but glad I added, plus it really has the full on TT 'bulge' to all the fenders now and will clear a true 30" tire no problem.

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks guys, we can't either...still a ways to go though. We should at least be able to get you behind the wheel, Joey!! ...we plan on attending some events when we get our APEX car done. I'll feel good when we have the panels all mounted up, tin work done, and the chassis is rolling. I really hope to be racing DSR1 shortly.

BEN@KNINE

Apr 2, 2013
Got the finished mold plugs back. I'm throwing on a coat of paint and off to storage. I'll put them all together for you guys over the next couple days...so you can see the finished body a bit earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000