Miller canyon burned down by turbo rzr

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
The bottom line is even if it was a RZR we don't know why it caught on fire. May have had nothing to do with recall or fault of Polaris. Hopefully some day we will find out all the facts but in the mean time it is only speculation.

Also, if the driver/owner wasn't doing anything wrong they have nothing to worry about with "the Feds."

Dan, I hope all is still well with you.

Everything is great. I came to work today and it was clear as far as I could tell at 4:30 this morning. Thanks for asking!

This extinguisher is great!!! I'd also like one for my new ride when they lift the no sell order. Let's get everyone hooked up!

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I would probably be interested in this system as well just for piece of mind when i am riding with my daughter.

Reactions: Rynomx785

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
Give us a call at Suspended Fabrication and we can hook you guys up, with the safecraft system

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here is the problem all UTV's are built with plastic body's. Everything around the engines is plastic. Once it gets hot enough to melt or catch fire, it's over! A simple fire extinguisher or even that Safecraft onboard system is not going to do squat if the plastic is burning. 8 out of 10 times your going to watch it burn.

Several years ago met a guy riding in Superstition and his XP900 had no bed. When I asked, he said it melted and caught fire. He had no idea, that he was on fire until he stopped. The guys in his group behind him could smell plastic and smoke but no flames. As soon as he stopped is when he realized he was on fire. Luckily he had friends with him and between a few extinguishers and mostly throwing sand on his bed and header did the fire go out. At the time the XP900 was new, not sure if the heat shield update was even out? But he was not sure if he was going to get another bed. At the time you could not find used ones, and not only did he need the bed, but both rear fenders and they were not cheap from the dealers.

I have a feeling most of these fires are like the guy I met. The car catches fire and by the time you realize it, your screwed! Plus when your moving your blowing out much of the flame, but once stopped you almost immediately go up into big flames. And when your back is against the engine, your not thinking grab your extinguisher, your thoughts making get out and away, before your burned or on fire.

If these UTV's were built with aluminum panels around the engine/header how many fires would not have happened? On my XP4 900 I added the UTV inc under bed aluminum heat shields and it's amazing how much cooler the bed is to the touch. Before I worried about my storage bag possibly melting to the bed.

Reactions: loupygarou

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
Nikal has it right, definitely have to get rid of all of that plastic, get your cars to a shop and have some cage and aluminum work done

Reactions: sand shark

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I like the fire suppression systems, but they are designed to suppress the fire while you escape. They typically don't put the fire out. Unless you catch it early there is probably very little chance of putting out the fire with small extinguishers, etc.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Nikal makes a valid point.. Living in the plastics industry for many years does give some insight. There are coating and fire retardant packages that can be added to most plastics that can dramatically retard (slow) the spread of fire. The use of these products would more than likely give the added time to combat a fire prior to it getting out of control. Unfortunately if the fires origin is fuel related weather it be from carrying leaky gas cans, fuel supply failure etc. burning plastic is the least of your worries and your in deep dodo quickly!!!
Regards,

Reactions: loupygarou

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Reactions: JoeyD23

Doug8765

Oct 24, 2014
I heard two guys in a Yukon / Tahoe were mad at the guy in the off road vehicle . They threw a propane torch in the vehicle and it was over at that point .

Sent from my iPhone using My finger

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I am not looking to save the vehicle in the event of one of these fires happens.

I am looking to give myself and my passenger enough time to get out of the vehicle. If one of these systems can help with that and possibly give me the extra time needed to get to safety count me in.

You are absolutely right that most of the vehicle being plastic is a problem once the fire starts...stuff melts and drips flames can be everywhere in a hurry.

An aftermarket heat shield kit might not be a bad idea.

Do they make any type of fire retardant material you can stick to the plastic firewall between the engine and the seating area? Like the dynomat stuff for sound but for fire protection? Something of that nature might be another option just for added safety.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I am not looking to save the vehicle in the event of one of these fires happens.

I am looking to give myself and my passenger enough time to get out of the vehicle. If one of these systems can help with that and possibly give me the extra time needed to get to safety count me in.

You are absolutely right that most of the vehicle being plastic is a problem once the fire starts...stuff melts and drips flames can be everywhere in a hurry.

An aftermarket heat shield kit might not be a bad idea.

Do they make any type of fire retardant material you can stick to the plastic firewall between the engine and the seating area? Like the dynomat stuff for sound but for fire protection? Something of that nature might be another option just for added safety.

I am surprised no after market company has made a firewall for for the XP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000