Maverick down!!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
My dealer called me today and said to come pick it up. They will give me a copy of the email from brp stating they will " help out the customer " if anything happens.

I will go get it tomorrow afternoon.

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
i would back it out of the shop and hold it on the rev limiter till it breaks and then tell them i want a new one lol

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
i would back it out of the shop and hold it on the rev limiter till it breaks and then tell them i want a new one lol
My brother in law did that with a 6.0 diesel. Motor and tranny problems started at 8,000 miles. After the 3rd tranny and 2nd turbo the dealer told him they could not duplicate the problem. So he pulled into the service dept and held it wide open while he went through all the gears until it dumped a bunch of parts on the ground. He yelled "I FOUND THE PROBLEM"

TTSH

Aug 23, 2011
My brother in law did that with a 6.0 diesel. Motor and tranny problems started at 8,000 miles. After the 3rd tranny and 2nd turbo the dealer told him they could not duplicate the problem. So he pulled into the service dept and held it wide open while he went through all the gears until it dumped a bunch of parts on the ground. He yelled "I FOUND THE PROBLEM"
Classic!

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
I only know 3 people that have Mavericks. 2 have had problems. Maybe the manufacture is trying to push the motors, clutches and shocks to hard?
What motor problems have your 2 friends had? Clutch problems? Shock problems? Please describe these problems.

apexin

Apr 15, 2011
Arizona
That sucks mike. Our friend James from IMG Motorsports took his brand new Maverick to Glamis for New Years. Within the first hour the entire clutch ripped out destroying the clutch and the clutch cover. He took it in and it is a warranty issue but there are no parts available. He had to run a commander clutch on it last night so he could race it. No end in site for the new parts. I hope you get this dialed in. No fun having a brand new machine down.
Can you let us know where the "No end in site for new parts" comment came from? Is this hearsay or since you are a journalist, a confirmed quote from BRP/Can Am? If its from a dealer, please list the dealer's name that told you this. :confused:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Can you let us know where the "No end in site for new parts" comment came from? Is this hearsay or since you are a journalist, a confirmed quote from BRP/Can Am? If its from a dealer, please list the dealer's name that told you this. :confused:
This is what James told me, the owner of the Maverick. He was able to install a Commander clutch for the time being until parts arrive. This failure occurred over New Years weekend with less than 1hour on the machine. He purchased it from Chaparral.

For the record, I'm not knocking Can Am. It is a brand new machine and I know there are always hiccups. It is a bit odd that he can't get a replacement clutch within a few days but then again I understand that it's a new machine. He isn't irate. He has the commander clutch and it seems to work well. He's going to race it again at worcs this weekend.

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
Daymn, that sucks Mike! Only you and the guy over at IMG are the only two I have heard that have had an issue.

Everyone else seems to be problem free and enjoying the hell outta them!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I picked it up today from the dealer and got the old oil, oil filter, metal parts and a copy of the response from BRP to my dealer. Apace Honda in Phx AZ stepped up and changed the fluids in the front and rear differentials all i need to do is the gearbox. I feel the dealer treated this issue very well with the poor response from BRP.

on a side note i took the Mav home and removed the stock cage, seatbelts and nets then dropped it off at UTV Inc for a badass custom cage. Thanks to JP and Magnum for the rear end style i am going for.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
My dealer called me today and said to come pick it up. They will give me a copy of the email from brp stating they will " help out the customer " if anything happens.

I will go get it tomorrow afternoon.

:confused: "help out the customer":confused: A guy would think they could be a little more specific on that. A new motor free of charge including installation is help (kinda like proper warranty coverage), $5 toward the repair is also help. It just seems a little vague, thats all.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
one more clutch i know of in the san diego area.
As a prospective Maverick buyer (deposit sitting on desk), I have been doing lots of reading on the clutch issue. Looks like the outer primary spins, resulting in the bolt over tightening then failing, and the entire thing comes apart. Read differing reports of contamination on the tapered shaft and or bolt, improper bolt torque to just a bad design.
So what is the fix - new $$ clutch, clean taper and hole, new bolt and proper torque?
Can the existing outer primary be pinned / keyed?
Have those that have had clutch parts replaced and properly re-assembled had any further issues?
Thanks

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
As a prospective Maverick buyer (deposit sitting on desk), I have been doing lots of reading on the clutch issue. Looks like the outer primary spins, resulting in the bolt over tightening then failing, and the entire thing comes apart. Read differing reports of contamination on the tapered shaft and or bolt, improper bolt torque to just a bad design.
So what is the fix - new $$ clutch, clean taper and hole, new bolt and proper torque?
Can the existing outer primary be pinned / keyed?
Have those that have had clutch parts replaced and properly re-assembled had any further issues?
Thanks
i plan on getting a few of the bolts Airdam sells and swapping them out every 6months or so.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Is it shifting in and out of 4wd? I was just going through my Rotax parts and found this. This is the pin that the shift fork rides on. Although, it resides on the tranny side and I cannot fathom how it could get into the sump.

Attachments

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Is it shifting in and out of 4wd? I was just going through my Rotax parts and found this. This is the pin that the shift fork rides on. Although, it resides on the tranny side and I cannot fathom how it could get into the sump.
Can-Am's do not use a common sump, no way a gearbox part could end up in the engine oil

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Can-Am's do not use a common sump, no way a gearbox part could end up in the engine oil
True. I'm almost positive the part in Mikes oil was this pin though. Who knows how it got in there...... I did check his Maverick today and it is engaging 4wd just fine....

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
True. I'm almost positive the part in Mikes oil was this pin though. Who knows how it got in there...... I did check his Maverick today and it is engaging 4wd just fine....
hey!! hands off my Mav you poolaris driver.

i need to order some parts from the motor and gear box and compare to the chewed up pieces i have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000