Mammoth Lakes June 29th-July 4th

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Well we're less than a month away and I'm super excited to get up there to ride, camp and show you guys what an awesome place Mammoth is:)
I figured since there is so much to do and see, I will set up just one scheduled group ride for Saturday the 2nd of July at 9am. We will leave camp and head to Hot Creek Canyon and chill there for a bit and then head to the Laurel Lakes trailhead. From there we will climb about 6 miles to the top of Laurel Mtn. where we will be greeted by the two Laurel Lakes. Here we will spend a couple hours and give folks a chance to kayak, fish, swim, hike and eat lunch. The trip will be just under 50 miles round trip and about 70% of the trip will be higher speed smooth stuff so it won't really take all that long:)
Then once we return maybe we can put together a potluck BBQ?

Now don't get nervous, we can and will ride everyday if you would like. There are numerous awesome trails in the area with lots of awesome sites to see:)
I was thinking that for other than the scheduled ride on Sat, we could do the a la carte thing and just go whenever. Cause I'm sure with all of the activities going on in town for the Holiday weekend, some peeps may want to head into town, some may want to fish, hike or just lay around and be lazy:D This way nobody has to be on a time table and won't have to rush back cause they might miss something.
Another cool thing we normally do is head to the top of either Bald or Lookout Mtn on the 4th and watch the fireworks the the Town of Mammoth Lakes shoots off over Lake Crawley. It's a great time without dealing with the thousands of peeps that crowd around the lake and jam up the 395 for hours:eek:
Please, if ya have any suggestions or questions just throw them out there. We're game for anything:)

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
George, what do you think the crowd level will be at the campground? We are coming in Friday, and my in-laws might be coming with us their Mo-ho. There is a chance we might stay at June lake for some of this also, right up the road. I've never camped up there during a holiday, like July 4th.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
George, what do you think the crowd level will be at the campground? We are coming in Friday, and my in-laws might be coming with us their Mo-ho. There is a chance we might stay at June lake for some of this also, right up the road. I've never camped up there during a holiday, like July 4th.
Dave,
I've been going there for 6 years and have not seen the area fill up. The majority of folks stay at the numerous developed $fee$ campgrounds in Mammoth and June Lakes.
For those doing an extended stay, Mammoth and June Lakes are just a few miles down the road and both have complete RV services.

Last edited:

aaronjuarez

Aug 2, 2010
George, I think we may want to join you on the ride for Saturday. We are at Sherwin Crreek campground and if I remember correctly, that is just up the road from Laurel lake. Either way, lets get opgether and maybe you can give me direction on how and where to meet up with you guys on Saturday morning.
Thanks,
Aaron

Pap

Bob Stone - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 6, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga Ca.
George, Plans have changed and we can join you at Mammoth lakes. We are excited and can't wait. We will be there on the 29th staying through the 4th and maybe longer if anyone else stays.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
George, Plans have changed and we can join you at Mammoth lakes. We are excited and can't wait. We will be there on the 29th staying through the 4th and maybe longer if anyone else stays.
That's awesome Pap! We look forward to seeing you guys:)

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
George, I think we may want to join you on the ride for Saturday. We are at Sherwin Crreek campground and if I remember correctly, that is just up the road from Laurel lake. Either way, lets get opgether and maybe you can give me direction on how and where to meet up with you guys on Saturday morning.
Thanks,
Aaron
For sure Arron,
I have your # so we can hook up once we get up there:) We can meet up Saturday morning at the intersection of Sherwin Creek and Laurel Lakes trail:)

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Mammoth Lakes July 4th Weekend

1. George & Kathy..... 6/29-7/5
2. Trukndave..... 7/1-7/4
3. Grumpsrzr4.....6/29-7/4 or longer
4. Crazywatson.....7/1-7/5
5. Tomcav.....6/28-7/11
6. Transformer33....?
7. Bagman.............6/29-7/5
8. Pap.............6/29-7/4 or longer
9.John RZRS (In Spirit)
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Here is a map of the Laurel Lakes/Hot Creek ride for Saturday. The Red line is leaving camp and the Pink line is returning:) I know it's not real detailed but it will give ya a general idea of where we are headed to.

aaronjuarez

Aug 2, 2010
George, that looks cool. I think we will probably ride out Sat. morning to your camp and meet you there that way we can do the Hot creek ride as well as the Laurel lake ride. Do you use a GPS in your car or a handheld? And if so which model do you have. I have been thinking about getting one before the trip.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
George, that looks cool. I think we will probably ride out Sat. morning to your camp and meet you there that way we can do the Hot creek ride as well as the Laurel lake ride. Do you use a GPS in your car or a handheld? And if so which model do you have. I have been thinking about getting one before the trip.
That sounds great Arron! I think we're about 10 miles from the Sherwin Creek Campground so it shouldn't take ya too long to get there. You can take Sherwin Creek Rd to the 395, cross over and head north along the 395 it's asphalt for a little way but then you will see the dirt trail that heads north. Just follow the power lines until ya get to Owens River Rd an turn right. Check out the directions to camp on post 181 on page 19. Owens River Rd is also asphalt for that section but you are aloud to ride on it. Pull it up on Google Earth and you will be able to clearly see the trail I'm talking about. As a matter of fact it is the Pink trail in my previous post.

I do have a GPS, it's the Garmin Nuvi 500 and I really like it. You can find it online for $200 or less, it's water and dust proof and comes pre loaded with the ToPo maps. It can be used for driving on and off road, on a bike, on a hike or even in a boat:)
The Lorance HD5M is a popular GPS also for the SxS's it's loaded with features but is in the $5-600 range.
Most of us also have radios so that makes it nice:)

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Hello All,
Here are the directions again along with some overview maps of the Ranger/Info Station and a couple of Water/Dump Stations.

As you head north on the 395 you will pass the Mammoth Airport on the right and then shortly after that you will pass Route 203 on the left. 7 miles past the 203 you will come to Owens River Rd. Then follow directions on post 181 on page 19.
If you need to fill up water, fuel and ice before you get to camp, you will want to turn left (West) onto the 203 and head toward the Town of Mammoth. I recomend pulling into Shady Rest campground to get fresh water, it will be just past the Ranger/Info center on the right.
If you need fuel, turn right out of Shady Rest back onto the 203 and there is a Gas Station/Mini Mart just up the road on the left.

Here is the GPS for the Shady Rest Water/Dump
37 38' 52.76" N
118 57' 48.20" W

Here is a Google Map of the Ranger Station, Shady Rest, McDonalds and Gas Station/Mini Mart area.

Here is my # 714-231-4631
Please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns you may have between now and then:) Kathy and I plan on rolling in about 8am on Wed 6/29/11.
George

Last edited:

Br8ksumsht

May 7, 2011
Corona, Ca
I just made resrevations for a few days....after all this talk I can't drive past this area on the way to Lake Tahoe without checking out the area. Unfortunatly we wont be up there till the 7th so I'm sure you will all be gone. Post some good pictures or some points of intrest after you guys get back.

If anyone is still up there we plan on pulling in early Thursday the 7th and pulling out to Lake Tahoe on the 9th. Staying at Sherwin Creek Campground and plan on doing the Laural Lake run Friday.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I just made resrevations for a few days....after all this talk I can't drive past this area on the way to Lake Tahoe without checking out the area. Unfortunatly we wont be up there till the 7th so I'm sure you will all be gone. Post some good pictures or some points of intrest after you guys get back.

If anyone is still up there we plan on pulling in early Thursday the 7th and pulling out to Lake Tahoe on the 9th. Staying at Sherwin Creek Campground and plan on doing the Laural Lake run Friday.
Hey Jesse,
Most of the peeps will be leaving on the 5th but I think Bill, Bob and Brent were thinking about staying an extra week?
I suggest going to the Ranger Station and getting a free OHV map of the area, they are color and real nice. We will post up pics of our adventure:)
If you're looking for somewhere to ride on Thursday, the Lookout Mtn loop is cool and then the trip to Bald Mtn is fun too! Be safe! You're gonna love Mammoth:)

George

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000