Mammoth Lakes June 29th-July 4th

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Hello Family members,
We will be making our annual trip to Mammoth Lakes for the 4th of July Holiday to enjoy some great riding, camping, fishing, kayaking and just plain relaxing. All are welcome and we would love to have ya:) We will be camping near Big Spring campground off Owens River Rd on Forest Rd 2S85. Check out Post 181 on page 19 for directions and pics. There are tons and tons of things to do. There are hundreds of miles of trails to ride through the Eastern Sierras, numerous lakes and rivers to swim, fish, boat or kayak in. Lots of great hikes and sightseeing and best of all like I said earlier, the town of Mammoth is only 6 miles down the road and it has endless entertainment possibilities. Everything from dinner, dancing, shopping, resturants, clubs or just hanging out in town square listening to live jazz music over a cold beer or glass of wine.
Here are some pics of last years trip to give ya a quick glance of the beauty.
Hope some of can join us!
George & Kathy

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I know, that's not me in the red #13 RZR. That's my buddy Steve (CrazyWatson):) He quickly learned that his RZR doesn't float:eek:

Class51600

Familia 1st - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Oct 22, 2010
Murrieta, CA
This is a beautiful place, can we get an address to looking it up on google maps? Also can we do a ride latter on the year there is a lot going on durring that time, we always do Vail Lake durring the 4th.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
This is a beautiful place, can we get an address to looking it up on google maps? Also can we do a ride latter on the year there is a lot going on durring that time, we always do Vail Lake durring the 4th.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Sure, we may be able to do another ride maybe in late August. It is truly an awesome and my favorite place to camp and ride:) As far as location, if you google Big Springs Campground in Mammoth you will see a map. It's very easy to get to. You go north on the 395 and about 7 miles past the town of Mammoth Lakes Rt.203 you turn right on Owens River Rd. Go about 2 miles and turn left on Big Springs Rd. And the Campground is just up a little ways on the left.

Cisco Kid

Puro Corazon - UTVUnderground La Famila
Apr 17, 2009
Sure, we may be able to do another ride maybe in late August. It is truly an awesome and my favorite place to camp and ride:) As far as location, if you google Big Springs Campground in Mammoth you will see a map. It's very easy to get to. You go north on the 395 and about 7 miles past the town of Mammoth Lakes Rt.203 you turn right on Owens River Rd. Go about 2 miles and turn left on Big Springs Rd. And the Campground is just up a little ways on the left.
Some time in August is good for me too ;-)

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
George, I am planning on going. I will probably be coming in on the Friday and staying still Monday. Dave. Looks like a blast.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
:)Mammoth Lakes July 4th Weekend:)

1. George & Kathy 6/29-7/5
2. Trukndave 7/1-7/4
3. Grumpsrzr4 ?
4. Crazywatson 7/1-7/5

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Mammoth Lakes July 4th Weekend

1. George & Kathy 6/29-7/5
2. Trukndave 7/1-7/4
3. Grumpsrzr4 6/29-7/4 or longer:)
4. Crazywatson 7/1-7/5

Last edited:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Just an FYI and not to confuse anyone, I created a thread similar to this one in the La Familia section. Just incase you stumble across it and wonder what's up:D

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Here is a discription of some of the trails around camp:D

The Town of Mammoth Lakes in conjunction with the Forest Services publishes a great map with Off Highway Vehicle trails. It is available at any Ranger Station and Visitor Center. Please you common sense and follow the rules, and remember to leave no trace that you have been in the Forest.
Have Fun.

A1 - East Craters Loop

24 miles round trip / 4WD High Clearance Vehicles only
From Mammoth Lakes, head north on Hwy. 395. Turn right on a dirt road 200 yards past the June Lake Junction. 100 yards down this dirt road there is a kiosk. The east Craters Loop begins here, heading south. The road splits after 200 yards. This marks the beginning and end of the entire loop. Go left, following the directional signs. The sights you see include Mono Craters, Sand Flats and Devil's Punchbowl. The loop follows the same road for 24 bumpy, dusty and spectacular scenic miles.

A2 - Bald Mountain Road

23 miles round trip loop
Leaves Hwy. 395 from the top of Deadman Summit at Logging Camp Road and goes to the Bald Mountain fire lookout station. Stay on 1S05 and follow the directional signs to Bald Mountain Lookout. There are great views and the road is well maintained. A log cabin warming hut at the top is open to the public.

A3 - Sawmill-Alpers Canyon Trail

17 miles one way / High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
Take Sawmill Cutoff Road 3S08 at Shady Rest Campground (across Hwy. 203 from Mc Donald's). This road leads north until it intersects Hwy. 395. Motorcycles and ATVs can cross Hwy. 395 via a tunnel. All other vehicles cross Hwy. 395 at the Scenic Loop Road. Take 3S06 to 2S06 to 2S88 to Owens River Road. Turn left and go a short distance, then turn right on to 2S04 west to 1S05, which head south to join Hwy. 395. This route offers good views and lots of variety of terrain.

A4 - Owens River- Hot Creek Road

17 miles one way
Leaves from Hwy. 395 north of Mammoth Lakes at Owens River Road. The paved road follows the headwaters of the Owens River until the road turns into dirt. Turn right at 3S44 and continue to Hot Creek Geological Site, featuring bubbling hot springs. Route ends back on Hwy. 395 after passing the Hot Creek Fish Hatchery, which is open for tours.

A5 - Lookout Mountain Loop

10 miles round trip / High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
This route starts north of Mammoth Lakes off of Hwy. 395 at 3S06 and heads north. The road circumnavigates Lookout Mountain with a side trip to the top on 2S02. There are spectacular 360° views of the Long Valley Caldera and other volcanic features such as Obsidian Dome and Mono Craters.

A6 - Deadman Creek Trail

6 miles one way
Go west from Hwy. 395 just past the Crestview Rest Area and Owens River Road on 2S05. The road follows Deadman Creek toward its headwaters. Spectacular fall colors at the end of the road in late September.

A7 - Inyo Craters Road

3 miles one way / High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
Leaves from the Mammoth Scenic Loop Road and travels along the base of the Inyo Craters. Park at the craters parking lot for a short walk to the rim of one of the craters. This is a great place to view ancient volcanic activity. Can be used with parts of routes A8 and A6 to make a complete circle around the Inyo Craters.

A8 - Crater Flat Loop

5 miles one way - 4WD High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
From the Mammoth Lakes Scenic Loop, take Inyo Craters Road 3S22. The Crater Flat Loop starts on the left, 500 yards down Inyo Craters Road and goes through Crater Flats and thick Jeffrey Pine forest. Great views of Mammoth Mountain from the flats. Continue to Deadman Creek Road. From here go east all the way to Hwy. 395 or follow Deadman Creek until you reach the campground where Inyo Craters Road leads back to the Scenic Loop.

A9 - San Joaquin Ridge Trail

3 miles one way / 4WD High Clearance Vehicles Only
This old rocky road begins near the Minaret Vista, 30 yards after turning right off of Hwy. 203. The road travels up the ridge to Deadman Pass. Spectacular views of the Minarets, Mammoth Mountain, Long Valley Caldera and the White Mountains from a 360° vantage point. Seasonal closures, so please check with the Ranger Station.

A10 - Knolls Trail

8 Miles one way / High Clearance Vehicle Recommended
Leaves from Shady Rest Campground and follows Sawmill Cutoff Road 3S08 for a few miles before turning left at 3S33. This road climbs up Knob Hill and goes across the top of the Mammoth Knolls. Great overlook of the Town of Mammoth Lakes from several of the side spurs. Meets Mammoth Scenic Loop and continues north to the Inyo Craters Road. Great Views of the Sierra and Mammoth Mountain from several locations on this route.

A11 - Little Antelope Valley

15 miles round trip
Starts at the south end of Hwy. 203 east of Hwy. 395. Turn left at Little Antelope Valley Road 3S05. The road bends to the east and climbs up a hill. From the top, the road winds through both mountain and meadow terrain and affords good views. This route joins route A4 and head south-west past Hot Creek and back to Hwy. 395.

A12 - Sherwin Creek Road

5 miles one way.
Starts on Old Mammoth Road by the Mammoth Museum and Sierra Meadows Ranch on 4S08. There are beautiful meadows and lots of aspen trees by the creek, providing plenty of places to picnic. You'll find great views of Laurel Mountain and the fall colors here are amazing. Also good wildlife viewing. Route ends back on Hwy. 395. Well-maintained dirt road.

A13 - Laurel lakes Road

4 miles one way / 4WD High Clearance Vehicles Only
Leaves from the Sherwin Creek Road 4S08 and climbs a glacial moraine to Laurel Lakes. Outstanding drive in the fall because of the many aspen trees. Good spot to view deer migration in spring and fall. This road is rough, steep and narrow and is recommended for advanced 4WD drivers only!

A14 - Cold Springs / Laurel Ponds Road

3 miles one way
Leaves from the Sherwin Creek Road and goes past the Laurel Settling Ponds. Meadows and wild flowers make this a great spot for picnicking and bird watching. Deer migration and fall colors are spectacular during late September. Aspen trees at the base of Laurel Mountain mark the location of cold springs, a natural cold-water source coming straight out of the ground and flowing down a narrow creek to the ponds.
It is highly recommended that you take a topo map and compass along with you on these adventures, along with the basic tools you will need in case of a flat tire. Check the weather before you depart and carry first - aid, food, water a space blanket and a CB or cellular phone. The topo map that corresponds with these trails is available at the Visitor Center.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Man, why does this have to be launch year!!! We have 3 spacecraft launching August, September and November. I'm knee deep in 2 of them, and it's getting harder to take time off. I'm hoping I can make the 28th this month, but Mammoth is somewhere I've always wanted to go.

If you go in August, do it the first week, Chris starts school the 11th I think.

Have fun and I'm jealous already!!!!

Dan ...:mad:

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
Man, why does this have to be launch year!!! We have 3 spacecraft launching August, September and November. I'm knee deep in 2 of them, and it's getting harder to take time off. I'm hoping I can make the 28th this month, but Mammoth is somewhere I've always wanted to go.

If you go in August, do it the first week, Chris starts school the 11th I think.

Have fun and I'm jealous already!!!!

Dan ...:mad:
Just come for the Holiday weekend Dan, it's a little cruise but Chris can share in the driving duties:eek:
It sure would be great to share the Holiday with you and Chris:)

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
One of our favorite trails is (A13) Laurel Lakes. We strap the kayaks on the RZRs and do the 4 mile gnarly climb up the side of Laurel mountain and then when you reach the top you are greeted with two of the most beautiful crystal clear mountain lakes. We unload coolers and kayaks and paddle around the lake while enjoying a nice lunch and a few barley pops:)

Last edited:

Ali Baba

Sep 13, 2010
One of our favorite trails is (A13) Laurel Lakes. We strap the kayaks on the RZRs and do the 4 mile gnarly climb up the side of Laurel mountain and then when you reach the top you are greeted with two of the most beautiful crystal clear mountain lakes. We unload coolers and kayaks and paddle around the lake while enjoying a nice lunch and a few barley pops:)
Only down side is that we have to load the RZRs in the trucks or on a trailer for a short distance to the trailhead. It's one of only a few we can't reach rite out of camp.
You can reach it from big springs.... I camp at sherwin creek every year.... matter of fact I will be there august 4 to 10. You can cross highway 395... I do it all the time. I've rode from sherwin all the way up to bald mountain etc...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000