Making some changes to the toyhauler

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
So I have a 07' Fleetwood Nitrous 23' toy hauler. Its been a great trailer and has served me well. I didn't do a lot of research before buying it and after the purchase I soon realized I should have went with a front kitchen model as storage is reduced big time on the front sleeper models. These days its just the girlfriend and I sleeping in it and we usually grab the rear bunk as the cross breeze is better and I can watch TV. So I just tossed the front mattress out and am converting the front bed area for "light storage" as I know its in front of the axles. I ordered a roll of 20'x7.5' rubber diamond plate floor covering from Costco I plan to cover the area with. I'll secure it with staples around the edge with a molding over it. I am then going to add either Core Trax or a pattern of light weight D-rings so I can bungee items in place. I will be able to keep everything organized this way and I can still pull the divider closed so I don't need to look at it. So far I plan on storing my washtub I use for fires, a jump box/compressor, popup trash can, spare propane tank, BBQ (Weber-Q), gear bag, milk crates for booze bottles. I should gain about 30 sq. ft. of storage at least. Any thoughts on this? Anything to add?

Heres the flooring
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...matchallpartial

Heres the D-rings I plan to add about 28 of in a 7x4 pattern.
TRIANGLE - D- RING ZINC - 2330225

I also added a couple of these storage nets you can get at Lowes to the front wall for helmet storage
Highland Side Pocket Storage Net for cars and trucks - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories

With the left over floor material I am doing my 6x12 box trailer so its all to good use.

Heres my trailers

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
it might hurt the resale value. also carrying a propane bottle inside sounds a little scarry.

why not carry that stuff in the bed of your truck?

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
it might hurt the resale value. also carrying a propane bottle inside sounds a little scarry.

why not carry that stuff in the bed of your truck?
Trucks always full with wood, backup Honda EU2000 gen., 3 ton floor jack, 5 gallon gas can and ice chests. The bed is easy to put back and I have an Aerobed I'm gonna keep stored up front in case I have friends go out I can put the Aerobed in the front sleeper, as is I still have two queens and two twins. I'll just need to move that crap underneath the rear main bunk. The propane gets moved outside as soon as I get to camp and placed by the grill in case its needed. After my las trip out when I used the front as storage it was so much nicer not stepping over or around stuff in the rear where it was stored before.

Also, Costco has 3" memory foam mattress toppers with covers on sale until May 29th (queen for $118). Grabbed a couple for the rear beds as those futon type mattresses suck to sleep on.

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
I'm with ya on this one. Make it fit your needs. I change ours all the time.

Don't sweat resale value.You bought it for you to use not the next guy. In this market, trailers loose their value big time no matter how clean you keep it anyway.

FBT

I'm with ya on this one. Make it fit your needs. I change ours all the time.

Don't sweat resale value.You bought it for you to use not the next guy. In this market, trailers loose their value big time no matter how clean you keep it anyway.
I agree, these days you need to squeeze every dollar of use and value you can out of these things because you sure as heck ain't gonna get your dollar investment out of them any other way.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Wandered around Home Depot and grabbed a wire shelf for misc. items and one of those spring loaded broom/rake/shovel holder thingamabobs... also found these cool straps and some D-rings to hold my ramps in place in my box trailer. Cheap simple fixes that make things nicer. Also put up 4 more D-rings on the opposite door to hang my tie downs. I went online and searched out some trailer specific can racks and couldn't justify the costs of about $100 for a paper towel rack/can holder. I spent about $10 for this wire rack and $3 for the broom holder... love HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000