Other Looking for advice on getting started racing

Slate

May 5, 2017
I'll start out by saying that I'm new not only here but to racing. I've built a custom offroad Jeep and have spent a lot of time learning on it so I'm not new to mechanical work, suspension, geometry, and offroad driving. I'm looking at changing careers in the next 2 years and will have a lot more time to build and race a UTV.

I plan to build my rig with my own dollars if I need to, and I will be able to invest 6-8 hours each day to building and doing all of the work myself. I have most of the tools I'll need except for a pipe bender and notcher. Taking time to drive to events won't be an issue for me. I would like it to end up being a self supporting hobby financially after a year or two. Is this possible?

How practical is it to start racing starting with absolutely zero contacts in the racing world?

Are there build paths that are commonly recommended (which rig to start with, what brands/parts to use, etc)?

Is it currently possible to build a rig that can quickly cross over between series and still perform well in each?

My hopes are that I can meet some really cool people, race together (win or lose, just not suck.), have fun, and always be building, improving, and learning.

Last edited:

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
This is pretty much what im doing. I got a car and started building it in the garage. This is my first UTV and first time building something. I started racing this year in a smaller desert series while im still trying to build the rest of the car. I have made plenty of mistakes during the build and in the races but i am learning a ton along the way and having fun at the same time. I started with no contacts in the racing world but I have met alot of really nice people in the last few months that have helped me along. I dont know if getting your racing efforts financially supported is realistic but its definitely a goal to strive for.

Slate

May 5, 2017
This is pretty much what im doing. I got a car and started building it in the garage. This is my first UTV and first time building something. I started racing this year in a smaller desert series while im still trying to build the rest of the car. I have made plenty of mistakes during the build and in the races but i am learning a ton along the way and having fun at the same time. I started with no contacts in the racing world but I have met alot of really nice people in the last few months that have helped me along. I dont know if getting your racing efforts financially supported is realistic but its definitely a goal to strive for.
That's exciting to hear that I'm not the only one!

How are you dealing with not having pits, crew, and chase? Or are you doing purely short course?

TORC is what's local but it just isn't exciting to me. I might run a few races there but I know I'm going to have to travel if I want to enjoy myself. The SRRS bounty hills do look like fun too as far as short races go that I feel like I could be good at.

Are you racing 1000? Turbo or no turbo? From what I gather these are the 2 top classes?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
That's exciting to hear that I'm not the only one!

How are you dealing with not having pits, crew, and chase? Or are you doing purely short course?

TORC is what's local but it just isn't exciting to me. I might run a few races there but I know I'm going to have to travel if I want to enjoy myself. The SRRS bounty hills do look like fun too as far as short races go that I feel like I could be good at.

Are you racing 1000? Turbo or no turbo? From what I gather these are the 2 top classes?
Torcs you can learn how to drive and it's inexpensive. To jump up to desert series gonna cost.

Slate

May 5, 2017
Am I right in that if I buy a factory RZR 1000 with a turbo that I'd have to run Pro Mod in TORC?

dezertracer

May 22, 2016
I race the AVE Pure desert series. We only have one pit area so that makes it easy. Even if you didnt have someone to pit for you if you asked some of the other racers im sure someone will help you out to get you going. We went to help pit for a guy racing the UTVWC that ive never even met before (Facebook Friends) and I was amazed how much all the different teams helped each other out with parts and wrenching on each others cars. Offroad racing is one big family.
Im racing the Pro Production 1000 class and I will be racing the BITD series next year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000