Lets Talk!!!“THE LONGEST OFF-ROAD RACE IN THE UNITED STATESâ€

Nike

May 19, 2014
Heck, even I can afford the $100 side bet! That's definitely the best idea I've heard regarding the 1k

The Polaris thing is getting old fast. Popo pioneered the utv sport market and continue to put more time/money into it than any other oem tenfold. Why shouldn't they benefit from it in one way or another.

The people that condem Polaris and Joey obviously don't know the history of utvs, utv racing, this site, nor the people that post here.

This sport is fairly new and full of great people willing to share information with the masses regardless of lost personal gain as a result. This time of sharing will pass as people get tired of constant bickering and know it alls contradicting their every word. I understand why Joey doesn't block these idiots as a show of true patriotism to the sport/cause but I hope he realizes that it is needed to keep the naysayers from ruining this board and the great content that it holds daily.

This is from someone that has never owned a Polaris product and never plans to for many other reasons, all of which still don't outshine what they have done for out sport.

I don't even race but come here daily for the hard data supplied by "our" racers.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
If I had a ride I'd iron man it...... I'd iron man driving to the moon if I had a race car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Just curious if anyone is planning on "Iron Manning" this race?
Bill Scheuler and Craig did a couple of years ago and won the sportsman class, hell I think they even top 5'd it. It can be done. I dont think anyone else generally runs it that way though.

Last edited:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Marc is. He solo's everything. Even this years 1000. Dude is a machine! I don't know how he can concentrate for so long. For a 500 mile race, it's business as usual. For the thousand, he'll start going to the gym 3-5 times a week 2 or 3 months prior. Stop eating junk food and soda pop. Doesn't drink or drug. He has food duct taped all over the interior., that I usually snack on while i'm working on the car. He puts way too much into racing to risk somebody else blowing it on race day, and he's not a happy camper when someone on the team falls short. He always tells me if I do my job, he'll do his, and he always does.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I have offered up a leg for a buddy of mine if he wants to drive. Otherwise I'm going to iron man the shit out of everybody!

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
I guess that make you a 1 man TEAM?
Haha I do see your point, I'll come back with I simply don't have enough people on my "team" to allow me to not iron man it. My one team member is racing his first BITD race at V2R. My main prep guy will be riding the full distance with me, and that leaves my dad and 1 other guy for pit crew.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Solo'ing V2R is very do able. Is it smart? Maybe, maybe not. Its only approx 540 miles this year which is about 100 more then this years Baja 500. But the terrain & crew logistics make this race much easier IMO then a Baja race. Casey makes it where two trucks can support you the whole race. I've seen guys pitting out of a station wagon before!

Now Solo'ing a Baja 1000 in a UTV sounds impressive and courageous, but not smart in my book. Sure its the true David & Goliath story, and if finishing is your goal, then go big! If you want to win be smart and surround yourself with people who can get the team a victory.

I have yet to see in anything but maybe TT & class 1 where a solo effort has brought a better result then having a teammate. If you say "I hate to see someone throw all my hard work away" then you have just not found the right teammate. Look at it from the other side. "I hate to see arrogance in a driver throw it all away, as he is not willing to know the gains of having a real crew or support driver can offer his efforts.

You can be in great physical shape but the fact is, its the mental exhaustion that gets you. There is no way a driver who has been in the seat for 10 + hours strait can and will be as mentally focused and have the reaction time of a driver of equal skill with only 2 hours of seat time.

And I have heard the story, and reasons for keeping a tired driver in the seat. "The car is tired and he knows how far to push it." A fresh driver will run it into the ground". I say an inexperienced driver or driver not fit for your team might. But if you get someone with experience who understands the car, and the feel of the car he will adapt to the handing or lack there of, and only push it as far as the car will allow.

A teammate is not something you place a craigslist ad for or make some sort of financial deal with. Like you pay for half of the costs and you get the car for half the race. If you own a car and are looking to win, you build a team that can win. I have seen lots of guys team up due to cost, but typically they know each other, have been competitors of each others, and know each others driving styles. Like this year's 500 with Johnny & Brain teamed up. They knew each other and knew what to expect from each other. So in their case a one race teammate deal worked.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Solo'ing V2R is very do able. Is it smart? Maybe, maybe not. Its only approx 540 miles this year which is about 100 more then this years Baja 500. But the terrain & crew logistics make this race much easier IMO then a Baja race. Casey makes it where two trucks can support you the whole race. I've seen guys pitting out of a station wagon before!

Now Solo'ing a Baja 1000 in a UTV sounds impressive and courageous, but not smart in my book. Sure its the true David & Goliath story, and if finishing is your goal, then go big! If you want to win be smart and surround yourself with people who can get the team a victory.

I have yet to see in anything but maybe TT & class 1 where a solo effort has brought a better result then having a teammate. If you say "I hate to see someone throw all my hard work away" then you have just not found the right teammate. Look at it from the other side. "I hate to see arrogance in a driver throw it all away, as he is not willing to know the gains of having a real crew or support driver can offer his efforts.

You can be in great physical shape but the fact is, its the mental exhaustion that gets you. There is no way a driver who has been in the seat for 10 + hours strait can and will be as mentally focused and have the reaction time of a driver of equal skill with only 2 hours of seat time.

And I have heard the story, and reasons for keeping a tired driver in the seat. "The car is tired and he knows how far to push it." A fresh driver will run it into the ground". I say an inexperienced driver or driver not fit for your team might. But if you get someone with experience who understands the car, and the feel of the car he will adapt to the handing or lack there of, and only push it as far as the car will allow.

A teammate is not something you place a craigslist ad for or make some sort of financial deal with. Like you pay for half of the costs and you get the car for half the race. If you own a car and are looking to win, you build a team that can win. I have seen lots of guys team up due to cost, but typically they know each other, have been competitors of each others, and know each others driving styles. Like this year's 500 with Johnny & Brain teamed up. They knew each other and knew what to expect from each other. So in their case a one race teammate deal worked.
Thank you for the response, it's nice to see all the valid points you mentioned. As for the Baja 1000 I've started thinking about that and I do have a team mate that I feel comfortable racing the 1000 competitively with me.

I do know what you mean as far as mentally exhausting over phyisically. The 500 I felt that mental exhaustion kick in towards the end. I was afraid to make a mistake and that was the reason I backed off towards the end. If I continued my push for 1st it may have resulted in a Dnf.

I want my team to enjoy this as much as I do. I need them more than they need me. I have a great group of friends that share the same passion as I do and without them this wouldn't be possible

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

1 word: adderal

Oh wait, wrong website....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000