Lets Debate... Which form of UTV racing takes the most skill?? POLL

Which Forum of UTV Racing Takes The Most Driver Skill?

• Desert/BITD (US Desert Racing)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Desert/SCORE (Baja - Mexico Racing)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • WORCS Racing (MX)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Lucas Oil Off Road Racing (Short Course)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • King Of The Hammers (Rock Crawling)

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Rally Racing (Dakar Style)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Drag Racing

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • GNCC (Trail Racing)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I think KOH takes the cake as far as a skilled driver.
I am curious why you feel this way.Shannon Cambell is the only KOH racer that I know of who has crossed over to desert and short course and hasn't been competitive in either one.I believe corner speed is important in every type of racing except KOH and drag racing.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
85% of KOH is your typical desert race terrain.....

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
This is a great thread. IMHO, I believe that crossover drivers make better racers in there chosen/favorite disipline. It is a fact that those that excelled on motorcycles and quads make better drivers. There mindset of line choice and watching forward and not right in front of themself is burnt in the brain already. While racing desert for many years, my biggest gain in speed was when I started practicing at motocross tracks. Never was great at motocross, but I improved my skill at turning, and carrying more speed over high speed jumps and obsticles because of confidence. So I believe a Desert Racer that crosses over between desert and short course is going to improve there skills in each disipline utilizing skill sets from both. One thing to remember short course requires an intence exhausting amount of focus and concentration for 20 to 45 minutes, Desert racing requires focus and concentration for hours and hours. Also it is easier to run a hard pace when you can see your competition right in front of you, try running alone in the desert and hold a competitive edge with nothing to judge pace.

I am not saying shortcourse guys can't do it the other way. I do know this, the people in the east that have never run in the western deserts have an opinion that everything is flat out wide open running on a flat desert. I've got news for you, This Desert Racer went woods riding in the east and kick the woods racers butts I was testing with in there own backyard. So easterners come out to the west and get a taste of Desert Racing or WORCS before thinking you guys are the best, you may come home with your tail between your legs!
What series did you race on the east coast? What class? Pretty sure that Scott Kiger and William Yokley do very well out west. Both are east coast boys racing GNCC yet set a record in BITD and won WORCS championships when they actually tried.

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
[ame="http://youtu.be/-zHKeyWr5C8"]302 Found[/ame]

This will add to my argument for GNCC racing. I respect all forms of racing and I would love to do it all. If money wasn't an issue I would.

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
William Yokley won the WORCS championship his first try.

Coastal racing which is Scott Kiger, William Yokley, and Mark Holz won the BITD Championship in their first try with Kiger logging the most driving hours and they set a record by something like 30 minutes. So please tell me more how we on the east coast would run with our tails between our legs and seat cushions stuck to our asses. :)

atvobsession

Feb 11, 2013
Auburn, CA
www.atvobsession.com
Bottom line to me is KOH has them all, not just rock crawling.

So I voted KOH because you have to have almost mastered all of the skills to pull it off successfully IMHO.

Dan ...
:)
Agreed. Taking nothing against the others....you have high speed desert, tight track turns and insane rock crawling.

You have lots of guys that race there, that KILL IT on the desert...they are simply awesome....but then they get in the rocks, and they make tons of mistakes, don't know their lines decisively, break components due to inexperience.

You can fully get it in the desert...and lose it on the rocks or you can be a rock crawler, and not make enough speed in the desert, which was my problem.

It really shows that Mitch is a well rounded driver to win the overall 4 times. I don't think anyone will do that again....the courses are getting much harder...this year's course made last year's course look like a Sunday drive. So to keep a UTV intact to win 4 in a row...will be unlikely. Mitch has a very nice legacy....(hat tip).

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
I AGREE. SHANNON IS A BACK OF THE PACK DRIVER IN LOORRS. ROCKCRAWLING IS A TALENT, BUT IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE OVER TO OTHER DISIPLINES. DESERT RACERS HAVE WON IN SHORT COURSE, NASCAR, INDYCAR & CIRCLE TRACKS (DIRT & ASPHALT) ALL OVER AMERICA.
I am curious why you feel this way.Shannon Cambell is the only KOH racer that I know of who has crossed over to desert and short course and hasn't been competitive in either one.I believe corner speed is important in every type of racing except KOH and drag racing.

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
Scott Kiger an east coast boy got his ass handed to him by winning the Mint 400. I heard he's crawling back to PA with his tail between his legs. SMH

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
302 Found

This will add to my argument for GNCC racing. I respect all forms of racing and I would love to do it all. If money wasn't an issue I would.
im a desert racer.i think each has its area of technical driving skills. that video was awesome, holy crap some hard hits in there.looked fun as hell though.my biggest concern is the 80 plus mph runs when it feels like you are on ice,one small mistake can send you tumbling for awhile LOL. hard to believe some of those guys had stock cages. that would scare the crap out of me!
edited to add, as for east coast west coast bs, great drivers come from all over the world.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I cant speak for UTV racing since I raced motorcycles and dirt track stock cars, but from what I have seen in motorcycles the extreme enduro riders have the most skill overall, so I have to think the same applies to UTV racing. Considering the different types of terrain and obstacles involved, I would think KOH takes the most skill overall.
With my experience in motocross and GPs, combined with my dirt track skills, I would probably be good on courses like GNCC or WORCS while KOH would kick my butt. I'm not sure if skill has as much to do with it as experience.

Rander637

The Worlds Fastest RZR's - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 22, 2009
So Cal
I would have to disagree that a short course guy could adapt to desert quicker & better then desert racers could to short course.

Taking away all the logistics in a desert race, which we know is way more involved & intense vs. a short course race. A strictly short course racer has one or two races a day that are approx 10 to 15 minutes long. Their focus and adrenalin is concentrated in that short amount of time. Once again besides some ruts the track is groomed and much more predictable vs a desert course.

If you look at the history of short course or stadium circuits, most of those races were and are desert racers. 75% of the racers in the Mickey Thompson series were also racing Score/HDRA.

Today, look at how many desert racers are racing short course vs short course guys racing desert. Here is a list of good desert racers who are good short course racers that I though of real quickly;

Rob MacCachren
Jerry Whelchel
Carl Renezeder
Jeff Geiser
Justin Davis
Marty Hart (Former desert champion)
The Leduc family
The Coyne family
Justin (Bean) Smith
Cameron Steel
Doug Fortin
Jason McNeil
Greg Adler
Larry Jobs
Pat Dean

Show me a true short course driver who has come out to the desert and won races? I'm sure there have been some, but not as many that have transitioned or double dip from desert to short course.

My vote is still Dakar Rally for the most skilled driver. Way to many things you need to be proficient in to be even able to finish a Dakar Rally.

You seem to have forgot one important name, Bryce Menzies...

Started in short course and won his first ever desert championship his rookie year. And hasnt lost a race yet in 2013...

In my opinion I think every form of racing has its own skill set, some people have it and some people dont

For example

Herbst boys: good in desert, not good at short course
Steve Sourapas & BJ Baldwin: Desert champions, struggled at shortcourse

Shannon Cambell: Rock crawling badass, struggled at shortcourse
Mitch Guthrie Sr: King of the hammers champ, too scared to race worcs so he puts his kid in the car:D

Robby Gordon: Good in the desert, good at short course, sucks at rock crawling

I cant speak for a lot of these forms because I dont have much experience at some of them, but it does seem to me like the longer the race, the more the "luck factor" comes in to play.

Well thats my .02cents, now everyone go buy a polaris xp900 and come race with us:D

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
You put Shannon Campbell in a properly set up Class 1 or Trophy Truck and that guy would be very competitive. He can wheel, I think his boy is gonna be even better.
Need a ultimate racer series, KOH, Mint, Vegas to Reno, Baja 250 and 1000 in a world championship, one throw away desert race.

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
im a desert racer.i think each has its area of technical driving skills. that video was awesome, holy crap some hard hits in there.looked fun as hell though.my biggest concern is the 80 plus mph runs when it feels like you are on ice,one small mistake can send you tumbling for awhile LOL. hard to believe some of those guys had stock cages. that would scare the crap out of me!
edited to add, as for east coast west coast bs, great drivers come from all over the world.
I completely agree. There are great drivers all over the world.

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
William Yokley won the WORCS championship his first try.

Coastal racing which is Scott Kiger, William Yokley, and Mark Holz won the BITD Championship in their first try with Kiger logging the most driving hours and they set a record by something like 30 minutes. So please tell me more how we on the east coast would run with our tails between our legs and seat cushions stuck to our asses. :)
Maybe you should come out and ride or race the west before staking your claims. When did you race or ride out here? What Series? What locations? What series did you race in the east? What was your best results? We can pick out individuals from all over the world that have had success in some cross over disiplines. But I feel RJ hit the nail on the head.

blacksheep10

Jan 12, 2013
You put Shannon Campbell in a properly set up Class 1 or Trophy Truck and that guy would be very competitive. He can wheel, I think his boy is gonna be even better.
Need a ultimate racer series, KOH, Mint, Vegas to Reno, Baja 250 and 1000 in a world championship, one throw away desert race.
Hard to say. I've only raced KOH 3times in the buggy class and twice In UTV (finished 1 buggy, 2 utv). We would like to get into other disciplines, but it is so much F'ing money where do you start. I would think Endurance is probably the hardest, that is mental toughness. Any of the forms you are talking about you are driving at the edge of control and keeping it together. Get in a TT and tell me that isn't hours of controlled chaos. On short course you are on the edge of flipping or coming up short all the time. All of it takes so much, I feel longer races take so much of it for a longer period of time.

On another note, I feel Shannon could be a true badass in the desert if he wasn't building his own cars and trying that route. If he had a geiser and some crazy support, he could give it a run.

motohead446

Sep 29, 2011
Maybe you should come out and ride or race the west before staking your claims. -
I never claimed to be better than anyone out there ever. Unlike you who thinks because you beat a couple guys that the west would dominate. I've never raced out there. I can barely afford to race the GNCC series let alone make it out there. You fly me out and give me a UTV to race I'd be there. I simply stated facts to defend the east coast drivers that you are bashing on falsified claims. You stated that you came out here and did suspension with some woods racers and kicked their asses. It could have been beer buggies for all we know. What really surprises me is that if you were there doing suspension they were probably some sort of customer and your bashing them. You said an east coast driver thinks everything is flat and wide open and that we would have seat cushions stuck up our asses and our tails between our legs yet East Coast guys have faired very well out west.

-When did you race or ride out here?-
Never

-What Series?- N/A

-What locations?- N/A

- series did you race in the east?-
GNCC XC1 rookie season last year.
Grew up racing motocross on bikes and bought a 900 in January of 2012. Podium finish in my 2nd ever UTV race.

-What was your best results?-
Only race I didn't break something I finished 3rd. Finished 6th for the season. Never been outside the top ten until first lap failures this year. I've beat Kiger who has beat the guys out west but I'm not going to say I can go out there and beat everyone because of that.

-We can pick out individuals from all over the world that have had success in some cross over disiplines. But I feel RJ hit the nail on the head.-

I agree but you need to add funding to that. Some people can't afford to race with the big guys. If I could afford what I needed I would have a better chance of actually finishing races which would have possibly gave me a better finish than 6th. I've set the fastest lap times at GNCC races in a nearly stock XP but can't afford the upkeep and parts necessary and stuff fails. Also with funding comes seat time. It's hard to practice when you work 6 and 7 days a week to afford to race.

You just hit a nerve with me making falsified claims because of some trip you took out east. There are plenty of facts to prove that was an arrogant and ignorant statement. Especially as a business owner.

Makin' Trax

Got Shocks? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 27, 2009
Maybe you should come out and ride or race the west before staking your claims. -
I never claimed to be better than anyone out there ever. Unlike you who thinks because you beat a couple guys that the west would dominate. I've never raced out there. I can barely afford to race the GNCC series let alone make it out there. You fly me out and give me a UTV to race I'd be there. I simply stated facts to defend the east coast drivers that you are bashing on falsified claims. You stated that you came out here and did suspension with some woods racers and kicked their asses. It could have been beer buggies for all we know. What really surprises me is that if you were there doing suspension they were probably some sort of customer and your bashing them. You said an east coast driver thinks everything is flat and wide open and that we would have seat cushions stuck up our asses and our tails between our legs yet East Coast guys have faired very well out west.

-When did you race or ride out here?-
Never

-What Series?- N/A

-What locations?- N/A

- series did you race in the east?-
GNCC XC1 rookie season last year.
Grew up racing motocross on bikes and bought a 900 in January of 2012. Podium finish in my 2nd ever UTV race.

-What was your best results?-
Only race I didn't break something I finished 3rd. Finished 6th for the season. Never been outside the top ten until first lap failures this year. I've beat Kiger who has beat the guys out west but I'm not going to say I can go out there and beat everyone because of that.

-We can pick out individuals from all over the world that have had success in some cross over disiplines. But I feel RJ hit the nail on the head.-

I agree but you need to add funding to that. Some people can't afford to race with the big guys. If I could afford what I needed I would have a better chance of actually finishing races which would have possibly gave me a better finish than 6th. I've set the fastest lap times at GNCC races in a nearly stock XP but can't afford the upkeep and parts necessary and stuff fails. Also with funding comes seat time. It's hard to practice when you work 6 and 7 days a week to afford to race.

You just hit a nerve with me making falsified claims because of some trip you took out east. There are plenty of facts to prove that was an arrogant and ignorant statement. Especially as a business owner.
.....I agree but you need to add funding to that. Some people can't afford to race with the big guys. If I could afford what I needed I would have a better chance of actually finishing races which would have possibly gave me a better finish than 6th. I've set the fastest lap times at GNCC races in a nearly stock XP but can't afford the upkeep and parts necessary and stuff fails. Also with funding comes seat time. It's hard to practice when you work 6 and 7 days a week to afford to race. I absolutely agree.

You just hit a nerve with me making falsified claims because of some trip you took out east. First, glad I hit that nerve. That was the intent. That is what Smack Talk is all about, but it wasn't a falsified claim. As I stated it was a shock testing trip with four Racers in Illinois. Trees are intimidating but no different than any other obstacle you are trying to miss. Actually easier to see. There are plenty of facts to prove that was an arrogant and ignorant statement. Ha Ha... Arrogant yes, ignorant no. Especially as a business owner Now that is an example of an ignorant statement. I love how as a business owner the rules change about having an opinion. This is a discussion sharing opinions. I allow you yours and the right to voice them, why should I not be allowed to voice mine because I'm a business owner. I think that is enough said about East-West. This was supposed to be about the poll. And yes Scott Kiger and his team won the Silver State 300. Congrats to them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000