Votes: 36 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Who would like to see UTVUnderground do a shootout between 6 LED Lighting Companies?

Compare everthing from mounting to installation instructions.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Each product will have pros and cons. It's up to the consumer to decide what's best for them based on the info we provide.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
If the test was done in a non-biased fashion then I would be interested in seeing it. But with website sponsors and personal relationships with lighting companies or distributors it can be hard to get a true biased opinion.

As mentioned in the other thread you can state specs, but specs alone don't effect the quality parts used in the light. The results should be based on manufacture specs, visual quality of the product in hand, visual quality of the light in real world use and price.

Also the test would have to be "Apples to Apples" same size, wattage & category. All lights should be donated from their manufacture or distributor & returned once the test is done. This assures that free lights are not being given out and effecting the non-biased test.

You could test three styles & sizes. Something like the little square lights, 10-12 inch single row lights and a 30 inch double row light if each chosen manufacture offered lights in those categories & sizes.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Sand sports magazine just did a comparison a couple of months ago. As rusty said they all have pro's and con's. From power consumption to light output to spread.

Do we really need perfect lighting for our of road golf carts?

dezertcat

Aug 5, 2013
So Cal
I would definitely love to see the comparison. Especially since I’m on the fence about dropping 1200 bucks on a BD OnX. I would be a little pissed if I went out the desert and pulled up to a guy that bought a knock off for 300 bucks and his was just as bright or even close for that matter.<O:p</O:p
If the manufacturers are confident in their product, I don’t see any reason they won’t supply the lights for the test.

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
Rigid
Baja designs
Vision x
Lazerstar
Waylend
Another knockoff.

Test them in the square dually size in spot and flood.

10" single row.

40" single or dual row.

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
I think we should do the testing at my ranch. I have a sweet tree covered trail down back and a pad that over looks a canyon that will gobble up lumens.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZwOEpr6La0Y[/ame]

Attachments

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
I think we could round up (4) identical t4's pretty easily. What do you say Bigs, Chris at Benchmark, and Rusty? I think there's a light testing party in our future.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
30" light bar fits most roofs of all utv manufacter. and the small square ones that you can mount on most a-pillars .it should be compared to top5-10 sites that come in when you type in ' 30" led light bar' everyone has same price everyone can get.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
To do this right, all lights need to be mounted on a standard height fixture. Like a 3' to 4' high saw horse, and measured with a light meter at specified distances. This way all lights start on equal ground and the measured results will be more accurate for each brand.

I have never believed photo's or video of a lights performance. Each brand of camera or video have different qualities in regards to night filming. Good camera's with adjustments & shutter stops can make the worst Chinese light look as good as a top brand light. So to take a picture of a light in action can be deceiving. But scientific results in a controlled environment bring much more credibility to the experiment.

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
Rigid
Baja designs
Vision x
Lazerstar
Waylend
Another knockoff.

Totron would be good addition to the list as they seem to be a popular, less expensive light. An unbiased comparison the the more expensive BD and VisionX would be great.

Perhaps for the driving test portion, you could do it blind where you don't know what brand bar is on the roof to get a real world, unbiased first person impression of the lighting. Hard to do for the other testing categories, but I'm interested in the first impression the testers have in real world driving situation. My .02

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
To do this right, all lights need to be mounted on a standard height fixture. Like a 3' to 4' high saw horse, and measured with a light meter at specified distances. This way all lights start on equal ground and the measured results will be more accurate for each brand.

I have never believed photo's or video of a lights performance. Each brand of camera or video have different qualities in regards to night filming. Good camera's with adjustments & shutter stops can make the worst Chinese light look as good as a top brand light. So to take a picture of a light in action can be deceiving. But scientific results in a controlled environment bring much more credibility to the experiment.
We have the camera work handled. ;)

I know what your saying about camera setting messing with picture results. It won't happen in a controlled environment on the same night at the same place with the same camera and lens locked down in manual mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000