LeadNav GPS

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
So after seeing ipad's mounted up in different applications for navigation I wanted to give it a try. Rusty's screenshot of his iPad equipped T4 inspired me to start looking into mounts which in turn led to finding the right app.

For those of you who have not seen leadnav, its a pretty cool setup. The app is very streamlined from a user input standpoint and has a lot of useful features without the added junk that you don't need in an offroad application. I have already downloaded maps of the various desert spots that we ride in the winter. Our next trip will be to Dumont where we spend more time exploring the desert than we do in the dunes. I have loaded routes and markers for the upcoming trip. The area has a ton of mining history and we love exploring these spots. I plan on doing a little geocaching with the kids as well using leadnav's marker input with gps coords. Following the trip I'll report back with its ability to function off the grid with the pre-downloaded maps.

I have to comment on the support aspect as well. I've emailed back and forth with the owners and they have been extremely prompt in answering any technical questions that I've had.

Attachments

ALEX

Mar 26, 2010
Sub'd I looking forward to hearing how it does.what mount are you using?

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
This past week my family and I spent our time exploring the desert around the Dumont Dunes area. We spent 4 of our days loading up in the Teryx and heading out into the desert to explore the mining ruins and mines that date back as far as the 1800's. To help guide our adventures I used my iPad and LeadNav app throughout the week. I was able to drop markers and trace our steps as we went and then turn these into routes for the return trip.

We also did some geocaching with the aid of this app. I manually input the coordinates in advance of the trip and took a screenshot of the geocaching page with the description and hint to refer to when in the field.

Overall the app worked great. The offline map tiles loaded flawlessly and whoever I had sitting shotgun picked up the use of the app pretty quickly. The only drawbacks are the battery drain on the iPad and the map tiles not being zoomed in enough in some cases. Both issues are easily fixed (more time spent downloading maps and a charger).

Attachments

Apr 10, 2011
Memphis,TN
I purchased it a couple of weeks ago.... played with from office to home. Pretty cool to have an app to tell you where to turn after you lay a track. I can see this app in racing application being the hot ticket. Ricky Johnson used it at the Baja. You know if Clyde Stacys using it....it has a bright future in racing.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
bump, i have a old Ipad 1. Anyone know if Lead Nav will work on it? More worring about the $20 for the app then not being able to update it on my older ipad.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
dammit. i have two ipad 1's i have been saving and they will not update to IOS 7. But i do have a ipad 2 that will.

thanks, i am going to get the app and set it up on my ipad 2. Now i got to figure out what to do with the old ipads.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
That's cool. I will look into it more. Right now I have been using Motion X. It works really well. If there are more than 1 person in your group using it, you can create a unique ID and share it with each user. This will show you their location on your GPS. I like this function for group rides. Never lose a person again. The App is $0.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2011
Memphis,TN
I purchased a dual 160 gps receiver to use with this app. It worked flawlessly last weekend with heavy tree cover. Also ran it on my iphone simultaneously. I'm not very good with these type of things. Playing with it a bit I figured it out.

JRock

Feb 22, 2011
So after seeing ipad's mounted up in different applications for navigation I wanted to give it a try. Rusty's screenshot of his iPad equipped T4 inspired me to start looking into mounts which in turn led to finding the right app.

For those of you who have not seen leadnav, its a pretty cool setup. The app is very streamlined from a user input standpoint and has a lot of useful features without the added junk that you don't need in an offroad application. I have already downloaded maps of the various desert spots that we ride in the winter. Our next trip will be to Dumont where we spend more time exploring the desert than we do in the dunes. I have loaded routes and markers for the upcoming trip. The area has a ton of mining history and we love exploring these spots. I plan on doing a little geocaching with the kids as well using leadnav's marker input with gps coords. Following the trip I'll report back with its ability to function off the grid with the pre-downloaded maps.

I have to comment on the support aspect as well. I've emailed back and forth with the owners and they have been extremely prompt in answering any technical questions that I've had.
Looks good! I have been contemplating switching over from my Garmin Montana to an iPad but liked the ability to draw routes in the Garmin Basecamp software. Can you draw up routes in this app or do you have to bring them in from somewhere else?

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
Looks good! I have been contemplating switching over from my Garmin Montana to an iPad but liked the ability to draw routes in the Garmin Basecamp software. Can you draw up routes in this app or do you have to bring them in from somewhere else?
Its pretty straight forward...You can zoom in on a map, tap your waypoints, and save the route. I've done it prior to desert trips where I want to preset a given route to a destination. It will show your distance to destination as you travel along...

426m

Dec 1, 2011
I purchased a dual 160 gps receiver to use with this app. It worked flawlessly last weekend with heavy tree cover. Also ran it on my iphone simultaneously. I'm not very good with these type of things. Playing with it a bit I figured it out.
Tell me about the dual 160 receiver, I run a Samsung tab but I need a better GPS receiver.

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
The Dual 160 is an external antenna that works via Blue tooth with up to 5 devices in your vehicle. It basically boosts the signal of your ipad, iPhone etc device or sends a signal to a device without GPS capability like an old ipad (which I use). Your standard GPS receiver in your device will work but sampling will be slow and sometimes inaccurate.

Be aware that you will also need a power device (even though it has an internal battery) if you use it for long periods of time. I use the same Mobarmor device to power my ipad and Dual 160 puck.

I love this system and use it for adventuring and for racing. I just got back from Norra and used it with the provided maps, way points and voice prompts. Voice prompt navigation is a step beyond any normal GPS when following a race course. If you build your own route you can add your own voice prompts for future use.

The only drawback I have found is loading tiles before going off the grid (no signal or in airplane mode) The google earth imagery is awesome but can be time consuming to load it prior to using it in the field.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Anymore updates to this thread?

What have you found to be the best GPS APP and equipment now that you have used it for awhile.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I'm absolutely loving my iPad Air with Leadnav after using for a couple months now. I have a Lowarnce in the car too, but i only use it for the time and volt meter. Leadnav with my favorite areas satellite imagery downloaded is a game changer for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000