KOH Who stole our axle?

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
I went out to support and pit for John Duckworth #1920. Although John was having a rough day with 3 blown tires, broken tie rod bolt and no brakes he managed to be the 3rd car into remote pit 2 behind Simms and Guthrie. Unfortunately, his day would end at Jack Hammer when the rear diff exploded, cracking in half and loosing all rear drive.

Here is the B.S. part.... They would not let us recover until the race was called at 4pm. So we got the team out of Jack so they could get some food and water and form a plan for getting the car out of Jack. When we got back to the car someone had stolen one of our axle assemblies which was mounted to the car with several large zip ties. They cut off all the zip ties and took the assembly.

No note, and no one contacted us to say "thanks" we will get you a replacement.

There were only racers and marshals in that section of the course, so..........

Again, total B.S.!! I don't know who it was but that is some Bad Karma, and we hope you step up and make it right.

Hope it got caught on video!!!!

Regards, Mark

Last edited:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Not to make excuses for anyone, but this clearly sounds like a racer took it as you stated only racers and course marshals were in there, so this is good news as it would most likely not be spectator theft. So I would have to assume another racer broke an axle and saw the abandoned car and pulled the part he needed to get out or get going again.

This is not new, as I know of guys who have done this sort of thing when racing in Baja. And I dont know of a racer who carries a pen & paper to leave notes. What I know others have done is remembered the car #, and told their pit crew to write it down so they can later find out who's car they took the part from. Most times its a spare tire or maybe a simple engine part that gets "Borrowed".

I would contact KOTH and ask them if any racers contacted them trying to get a hold of you or your team. That is what is typically done, is after the race or even a few days after you contact the race promoter and ask them for contact info regarding car # whatever. There could be a good chance they called the promoter and they asked for the wrong car # or are waiting for the promoter to get back to them as the promoter might still be at the event doing post race clean-ups.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
I'm cool with that, and if that was what happened maybe we will hear from them. We help too, when Jon Crowley #1965 almost went over backwards on Jack it was John Duckworth #1920 that was on the end of the winch line making sure he didn't. Just hoping some one stands up, that's all.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I'm with you that I would be upset too, but hopefully if it was a racer they will get in touch with your team or at least call KOTH and let them know. you can also call KOTH and ask if they can get you in touch with the course marshals that were working Jackhammer. Maybe one will remember a UTV that was doing repairs in Jackhammer.

BTW another way you can try to figure it out who might have taken the axle is to count what lap you broke on. Then how many XP1000's made it to or through Jackhammer after your guys left the car behind? Then out of those XP1000's that made it though Jackhammer, how many XP1000 's run the same sized suspension that your axle would have fit their car? It cant be that many as only a few cars finished the race, and anything less then a XP1000 could not have used that axle anyways. I bet you can narrow it down to 8-10 cars. Then start calling those teams and ask if they "Borrowed" an axle and just did not know who to call to get it back to them. You might be surprised how many memories can be re-refreshed when they are asked about something like this.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Someone posted on the pirate KOH lost/found thread that they found a RZR axle on course around jackhammer. Might be yours?

Good luck, I hope it is yours. There are lots of reports on pirate about racecars getting partially stripped by spectators while waiting for recovery. Shocks, welders, tools, batteries, etc, getting taken off cars stuck on course.

At least hammertown is slightly more secure. Nothing was taken from our trailer this year.

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Someone posted on the pirate KOH lost/found thread that they found a RZR axle on course around jackhammer. Might be yours?

Good luck, I hope it is yours. There are lots of reports on pirate about racecars getting partially stripped by spectators while waiting for recovery. Shocks, welders, tools, batteries, etc, getting taken off cars stuck on course.

At least hammertown is slightly more secure. Nothing was taken from our trailer this year.

Thanks.... I'll have to check it out. Just sucks, but by what you said I guess we got lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000