KOH what to expect?

solina

Sep 11, 2013
Ontario Canada
I really would like to go down to race the KOH this year. I need a bit of advise as to what all is needed. I would drive down in a motorhome with my co-driver, utv , fuel and spare parts.
I may be able to bring a second utv and driver to run back and forth between to 2 pits with fuel and parts, is that possible to do? Would I need a Lorance gps or would any gps do? Is a communication system a must?
If you guys could help shed a little light on what is needed to race the KOH, besides the utv its self, it would really help.
Thanks

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Good question. There are quite a few guys here that will be able to answer your questions.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Big screen GPS is a must
Radio(s) with ability to monitor several channels
Clothing for hot, cold, freezing, rain, snow and sunblock
Eye protection for lakebed dust.
Food for out on course and to not blow your budget eating in Hammertown.
Patience
A place to get out of the weather when you can
Something to drink
Parts to known failure points.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
I really would like to go down to race the KOH this year. I need a bit of advise as to what all is needed. I would drive down in a motorhome with my co-driver, utv , fuel and spare parts.
I may be able to bring a second utv and driver to run back and forth between to 2 pits with fuel and parts, is that possible to do? Would I need a Lorance gps or would any gps do? Is a communication system a must?
If you guys could help shed a little light on what is needed to race the KOH, besides the utv its self, it would really help.
Thanks

I raced this race the past 3 years and its an awesome event, might be my favorite of the year.

A second UTV with parts and fuel is probably a must. Thats exactly what my setup was last year. I utilized the main pit and another remote pit to top off fuel.

I ran the Lowrance HD5 gps and that is a must in my opinion. I tried it without GPS the previous years and lost a lot of time due to getting lost.

Communications arent a must, but they are a very important tool. I wouldn't do it without them.

Going fast in the desert and being able to rock crawl are also important.

If you have any other specific questions i would be more than willing to help out

Branden Sims

Reactions: Kevcalia

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
Big screen GPS is a must
Radio(s) with ability to monitor several channels
Clothing for hot, cold, freezing, rain, snow and sunblock
Eye protection for lakebed dust.
Food for out on course and to not blow your budget eating in Hammertown.
Patience
A place to get out of the weather when you can
Something to drink
Parts to known failure points.
^^^^ this guy nailed it. except for the chili cheese dogs detroit style in hammertown are a must. we hit those for breakfast right after our T4 test drive with kawasaki. and dont miss the kings shock party on wed night, after the utv race and lcq happy hour.

solina

Sep 11, 2013
Ontario Canada
So a second utv could run fuel and parts between the 2 pits, that's good. I have the impression that 1 pit is at the start/finish and the second is a remote pit 1/2 way point. Meaning I could have a driver, co-driver and 1 more guy to run back and forth from the 2 pits? I noticed a tarp under the utv's during the pit stops, I assume it is a requirement.
I would also assume that I would need to take my laptop to plot the course onto the gps or is there some sort of download that can be put on the gps (sorry not much of a computer guy).
Is there a chance to somewhat prerun parts of the course before the race?
Sorry if these questions seem stupid but the more I know the better prepared I can be. I'm sure there is a lot I should know so by all means let me know.
Thanks

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
The driver and co/driver can only retrieve parts or other racers bring you them, you cannot have a chase team or get outside assistance, so make friends with co-racers, you never know who you might need to haul out a part for you.
Team can only work on cars in designated pit areas.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
So a second utv could run fuel and parts between the 2 pits, that's good. I have the impression that 1 pit is at the start/finish and the second is a remote pit 1/2 way point. Meaning I could have a driver, co-driver and 1 more guy to run back and forth from the 2 pits? I noticed a tarp under the utv's during the pit stops, I assume it is a requirement.
I would also assume that I would need to take my laptop to plot the course onto the gps or is there some sort of download that can be put on the gps (sorry not much of a computer guy).
Is there a chance to somewhat prerun parts of the course before the race?
Sorry if these questions seem stupid but the more I know the better prepared I can be. I'm sure there is a lot I should know so by all means let me know.
Thanks
No Stupid Questions. The rules for KOH have always eluded some. As for course download, The course should be available the week before the race to download and should be available on site at KOH to upload onto your GPS (lowrance style) The radio people like Rugged and PCI can help with that. I would recommend a lowrance style GPS as opposed to a handheld style.

As was mentioned. No outside assistance is permitted on the course. this means that the car must be at a designated pit to fuel or have your crew work on the car. The driver and co driver can do whatever they are capable of anywhere on the course but cannot receive parts,tools or help from anyone with the exception of another registered racer in that race. Hope that helps

Tarps or fuel mats are required by the BLM when fueling cars in the pits.

Keep the questions coming i'm sure there are a lot of potential racers looking for he same answers

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
Will 2015 KOH be jakes first KOH? Hmmm. Do i hear iniciation plans? Muhahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HutchOven

Apr 2, 2012
Rules say after market seats required. Does that apply to utv's also? I like my stock Maverick seats.

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
Rules say after market seats required. Does that apply to utv's also? I like my stock Maverick seats.
I believe the rules only say the seats have to have harness slots. I know that Artic Cats were running stock seats last year. RZR stock seats, other than a few models that had PRP seats, do not have harness slots.

If the Maverick has them, you should be fine.

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
Wildcats have a harness slot stock, but nothing for the sub belt from what I can recall.
Some aftermarket seats don't either. The seats we have run the last three years, didn't have a slot either. I don't remember tech ever checking the sub belt, other than making sure there was one.

megonzo

Jan 25, 2011
Cedar City, UT
Thanks
PRE RUN!!! Take a vehicle w/gps, set your way points. That will be a life saver in the dust.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
PRE RUN!!! Take a vehicle w/gps, set your way points. That will be a life saver in the dust.
I've never been there for the race but I remember watching the live feed people saying my gps quit working or kept locking up was a huge complaint. Not only utv but all classes. I'm not sure if it the hills or the military interference but that place seems to be hard on the gps. Maybe having a plan b is a good idea.

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
My Co-Dawg and I split up the course and memorized our own sections. My section was from the start to the bottom of Back Door. The rest was his responsibility. :(

Our GPS failed miserably. Would not stay locked on. It was one major factor from us not having a better finish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000