KOH 2015

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i hope they have the red wristbands like 2 years ago. or utv gate access pass like lastyear. i might be with rescue3 this year.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
For those who didn't see, Ultra 4 confirmed that Polaris will be giving away a new Polaris RZR 1000 to the winner of Pro class.

Here is the entry list as of 11-26: Awesome that a former King is running Pro class. And you'll notice a lot of people that run every year haven't registered(yet?).

<table width="384"><tbody><tr><td colspan="7" width="155">Polaris KOH UTV Race</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>AARON CLARK</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>BREA</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>ANDREW GORMAN</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>VERNON</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>BC VAUGHT</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>ANAHEIM</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>BLAKE VAN DE LOO</td> <td>1919</td> <td>PHOENIX</td> <td>AZ</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>BRANDEN SIMS</td> <td>1986</td> <td>PRESCOTT VALLEY</td> <td>AZ</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>BRENT MACIAS</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>MORENO VALLEY</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>BRIAN KING </td> <td>TBD</td> <td>PITTSBORO</td> <td>NC</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>CHAD HUGHES</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>WASHINGTON</td> <td>UT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>CHRIS BARNETT</td> <td>1961</td> <td>FOXFIELD</td> <td>CO</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>CODY NYGREN</td> <td>1916</td> <td>FARMINGTON</td> <td>NM</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>DARED LUSHER</td> <td>1948</td> <td>PARKER</td> <td>CO</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>DEAN BULLOCH</td> <td>1909</td> <td>CEDAR CITY</td> <td>UT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>ERIK MILLER</td> <td>4421</td> <td>CUMBERLAND</td> <td>MD</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>EVAN ENGELHARDT</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>COLLEGE STATION</td> <td>TX</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>HEATH FRAZIER</td> <td>1956</td> <td>ELK CITY</td> <td>OK</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>JOHN DUCKWORTH</td> <td>1920</td> <td>WILTON</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>JON CROWLEY</td> <td>1965</td> <td>SHINGLE SPRINGS</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>LANE BAIRD</td> <td>1952</td> <td>STURGIS</td> <td>KY</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>LANSE CHOURNOS</td> <td>1929</td> <td>ST GEORGE</td> <td>UT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>MATT DOW</td> <td>1224</td> <td>SPRINGFIELD</td> <td>OR</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>MELVIN EUGENE WADE, IV</td> <td>1951</td> <td>FULLERTON</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>MITCH GUTHRIE</td> <td>1</td> <td>GLENDORA</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>RICKEY BRINEY</td> <td>2</td> <td>NESS CITY</td> <td>KS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pro</td> <td>RYAN BERGAMINI</td> <td>1933</td> <td>HOLLISTER</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>AMBERLY SACALAS</td> <td>35</td> <td>RIVERSIDE</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>BRAD WITBECK</td> <td>981</td> <td>ROOSEVELT</td> <td>UT</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>BRIAN FISHER</td> <td>970</td> <td>FORT COLLINS</td> <td>CO</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>CLINT SCRUGGS</td> <td>727</td> <td>COLORADO SPRINGS</td> <td>CO</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>CODY CURRIE</td> <td>22</td> <td>ANAHEIM</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>CRAIG HEIN</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>PHOENIX</td> <td>AZ</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>DARREN MITCHELL</td> <td>3</td> <td>PASO ROBLES</td> <td>CA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>JEFF MCCULLOUGH</td> <td>12</td> <td>BUFORD</td> <td>GA</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>JOHN NEIBOLD</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>CARMEL</td> <td>IN</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sportsman</td> <td>MICHAEL NAPP</td> <td>TBD</td> <td>ELIZABETH</td> <td>CO</td></tr></tbody></table>

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Hey Chris, I don't see any other of your family members entered. They not going to run?

Last year my dad started the race in #1948 and Dareld Lusher took over at Pit 1. This year Dareld is driving the whole race and my dad will be running pits for our team. My brother Scott ran Sportsman last year in his old 800, but he's jumped to codriver for me this year in my new 1000.

There are a few entries that we are helping out though, and interestingly enough, two of the sportsman entries are guys that drove out to volunteer to be on our pit crew in the past two years.

Plus we are building a car for another company to race.

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
Hey Chris, I don't see any other of your family members entered. They not going to run?
Don't count me out yet, Randy. I still have my 900 that we've raced the last two years. After I get the three we've already entered done, I might work on the fourth and enter Sportsman with it.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Last year when Dave was a little slow on writing rules, he approached us for help. The concept was to simplify it as much as possible, and create two classes. Sportsman for nearly stock vehicles, people who want to run an easier course, and new racers. Pro is basically unlimited, for those of us who want to be King.

There are a few limitations to both classes, and some general safety rules, which vary depending on the class. Let me break it down as simple as possible. Please let me know if I've missed anything

UTV specific rules:

Pretty straight forward. You must have a factory produced UTV with a powersports engine under 1000cc. Overboring is ok if the base engine was under 1000cc to start. It must be four wheel drive with both high and low range. Must be CVT. Beyond that, you can do whatever you want. Turbos, nitrous, long travel suspension, tires, tube chassis, etc. It's open.

These are the Ultra 4 safety requirements that apply to BOTH classes of UTV's:

• Rear view mirror
  • window nets OR arm restraints
  • doors(solid or opening)
  • Front and rear bumpers
  • All spare parts and tools must be securely fastened
  • Legible race numbers
  • Survival supplies(one quart water per person, any food or medicine needed in case they get stranded)
  • First aid kit
  • Two breakdown triangles(available at all truckstops)
  • Horn(no airhorns)
  • Two 2.5 lb and DATED fire extinguishers(one accessible inside, one outside)
  • Safe and secure harness mounting
  • rear safety reflectors(OEM tail lights meet this rule)
  • rear brake lights and tail lights(OEM meets this rule)
  • rear amber LED for visibility in dust
  • Factory floors and firewall allowed, but if removed, must be replaced with metal ones.
  • factory fuel tank ok, but if replaced or relocated, must meet their fuel cell rules.
  • any seat with adequate headrest and harness slots. For some UTV's, this means the factory seat is ok. For others, you must go aftermarket.
  • No leaks or other mechanical/brake/safety problems

Rules for driver/codriver:

• One piece fire suit(single layer or better)
  • Helmet meeting one of the following rules: Snell M2010/SA2010 DOT/ECE 22-05/BSI. (2005 helmets will NOT be ok for the 2015 KOH race, so check the dates)
  • Shatter resistant eye protection(helmet shield, goggles, etc)

Rules that vary between UTV Pro and UTV Sportsman:

• Roll cage. Pro requires aftermarket 6 point cage, minimum 1.5"x.120" steel tubing. Any standard production aftermarket cage meets this rule. Cage can be bolted on. Sportsman can run ANY cage. OEM 6 point ok(like factory RZR 1000), and OEM 4 point is ok with aftermarket rear braces bolted on to create a 6 point)
  • Roof. Pro requires 1/8" aluminum roof or .040 magnetic steel roof. Sportsman can get away without a roof.
  • Harnesses. 3" 5 point SFI required in Pro. Sportsman can use 4 point harness.

That's about it. It is pretty simple to run sportsman, with only minimal aftermarket parts needed for most UTV's.

Entry fees go up November 16th, so if you're racing, it's better to register early.
The factory XP 1000 cage with roof should be sufficient for Pro. Why wouldn't it?

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
The factory XP 1000 cage with roof should be sufficient for Pro. Why wouldn't it?
Jon, the way the rule is worded it appears that sportsman can run a stock 6 point cage, or 4 point with additional bracing. Not very clear about pro since it refers to "aftermarket". We need to clarify with Dave so nobody gets caught off guard.

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Don't count me out yet, Randy. I still have my 900 that we've raced the last two years. After I get the three we've already entered done, I might work on the fourth and enter Sportsman with it.
That's good to hear Bill. I'm hoping to make it out there this time.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
Jon, the way the rule is worded it appears that sportsman can run a stock 6 point cage, or 4 point with additional bracing. Not very clear about pro since it refers to "aftermarket". We need to clarify with Dave so nobody gets caught off guard.
Well, Polaris is the title sponsor, and the stock cage is 6-point. You should be able to add a roof on the stock cage and run it.

I originally was going to race a nearly stock Desert Edition XP 1000. It would be good to see that clarified ASAP and allowed so we can get more entries.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
I've been trying to get this clarified with the stock Wildcat 6 point cage for several weeks now, think I'm just gonna add an aftermarket cage. Even if Polaris is the title sponsor, the rules say pro class needs an aftermarket 6 point cage. These cars are going to be hitting 80 across the lake beds, hate to see someone get hurt.
I also want more entries, but safety first.

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
I've been trying to get this clarified with the stock Wildcat 6 point cage for several weeks now, think I'm just gonna add an aftermarket cage. Even if Polaris is the title sponsor, the rules say pro class needs an aftermarket 6 point cage. These cars are going to be hitting 80 across the lake beds, hate to see someone get hurt.
I also want more entries, but safety first.
I thought the Wildcat 6-point was already cleared.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Just got off of the phone with Dave.

Rules are being revised to not include the word aftermarket. The rule that will be enforced for Pro is ANY 6 point cage with the appropriate roof(ie .040 steel or .125" aluminum). For sportsman, any 6 point cage, or any 4 point with bolt on bracing.

In addition to the RZR being given to the winner, Dave said there is "serious" prize money being offered up by Polaris.

Polaris is also bringing in film crews and plans to make a TV show about this years UTV race and racers.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
were ready. tackleing the list one week at a time. who is camping where? the heights? lcq? close to hammertown? out in the sticks? im thinging lcq again, with nightly visits to hammertown heights:eek:

CodyNygren

#1916 Lone Star Racing
Apr 25, 2013
Farmington, NM
It is great to hear how much Polaris is stepping up for this years KOH. This is by far one of the best races available for UTVs and its great to see that its starting to get the recognition and support it deserves! Way to go Polaris!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000