KOH 2015

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Polaris is on board as the title sponsor for the utv race! Expect some more big news as to prizes and such for the winner!

This should be a huge utv event that you will want to race in for sure.

Koh is making the rules very simple, you will be able to race in a very near stock utv.

Would the chance to win a new xp 1000 get some more racers off the fence?

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Polaris is on board as the title sponsor for the utv race! Expect some more big news as to prizes and such for the winner!

Koh is making the rules very simple, you will be able to race in a very near stock utv.
At KOH this year Brandon said you were pushing for him to make another run at it.... Is this going to happen?

07turbo

Dec 4, 2010
Need to know sanctioning rule body for sure, what day are we racing and with who. Are the traditional canyons still open?
Joey mentioned another BITD race real close to this one.
We need MORE info!
In talking with Dave a few weeks ago, I believe the rules will be similar to last year, with the same two classes. Hopefully it will be posted soon so more people can plan ahead and the number of entries increases.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley

Would the chance to win a new xp 1000 get some more racers off the fence?
This is already an amazing event, if a thats not enough a new RZR XP1000 to the winner should be a pretty good incentive!

jaggedx

Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
The complete rules as written may intimidate some of you and may be a little confusing when applied to the UTV class. If you are interested in racing KOH and want rule clarification please post up here, PM me or contact KOH directly.
KOH and the UTV sponsors are committed to growing this class.

Some of the general rules that you see in the rulebook may not apply literally to the UTV class so please ask.

This should be one of the largest UTV races we have ever seen.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I can't wait. I hope to have a Polaris for day use and shred my T4 at night. This is by far the best event all year.

GOLF CART DORK.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
I can't wait. I hope to have a Polaris for day use and shred my T4 at night. This is by far the best event all year.

GOLF CART DORK.

How much for a codog night ride in your t4? I will start the bidding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
The complete rules as written may intimidate some of you and may be a little confusing when applied to the UTV class. If you are interested in racing KOH and want rule clarification please post up here, PM me or contact KOH directly.
KOH and the UTV sponsors are committed to growing this class.

Some of the general rules that you see in the rulebook may not apply literally to the UTV class so please ask.

This should be one of the largest UTV races we have ever seen.
Last year when Dave was a little slow on writing rules, he approached us for help. The concept was to simplify it as much as possible, and create two classes. Sportsman for nearly stock vehicles, people who want to run an easier course, and new racers. Pro is basically unlimited, for those of us who want to be King.

There are a few limitations to both classes, and some general safety rules, which vary depending on the class. Let me break it down as simple as possible. Please let me know if I've missed anything

UTV specific rules:

6.6 UTV Class
6.6.1 A UTV is defined as a standard production based side by side 2 or more seat vehicle. 1000 CC or less motor with powersports based drivetrain. Any non-production based belt driven vehicles must be approved prior to racing.
6.6.2 UTV Safety – UTV’s to follow all Ultra4 Safety rules with the following exceptions
6.6.2.1 Six Point aftermarket racing cage. Sportsman may use 4 point factory cage with aftermarket rear bracing creating a six point cage
6.6.2.2 SFI Rated 5 point harnesses. Sportsman may use 4 point harnesses.
6.6.2.3 Seats must have slots for harnesses and adequate headrest contact with a helmet on.
6.6.2.4 Doors are required but not required to open
6.6.2.5 Window nets or arm restraints required
6.6.2.6 Factory plastic fuel cells allowed if used in factory mounting position
6.6.3 UTV Performance
6.6.3.1 Engines must be of 1000cc or less powersports configuration. Overboring of motor is permitted
Pretty straight forward. You must have a factory produced UTV with a powersports engine under 1000cc. Overboring is ok if the base engine was under 1000cc to start. It must be four wheel drive with both high and low range. Must be CVT. Beyond that, you can do whatever you want. Turbos, nitrous, long travel suspension, tires, tube chassis, etc. It's open.

These are the Ultra 4 safety requirements that apply to BOTH classes of UTV's:

• Rear view mirror
  • window nets OR arm restraints
  • doors(solid or opening)
  • Front and rear bumpers
  • All spare parts and tools must be securely fastened
  • Legible race numbers
  • Survival supplies(one quart water per person, any food or medicine needed in case they get stranded)
  • First aid kit
  • Two breakdown triangles(available at all truckstops)
  • Horn(no airhorns)
  • Two 2.5 lb and DATED fire extinguishers(one accessible inside, one outside)
  • Safe and secure harness mounting
  • rear safety reflectors(OEM tail lights meet this rule)
  • rear brake lights and tail lights(OEM meets this rule)
  • rear amber LED for visibility in dust
  • Factory floors and firewall allowed, but if removed, must be replaced with metal ones.
  • factory fuel tank ok, but if replaced or relocated, must meet their fuel cell rules.
  • any seat with adequate headrest and harness slots. For some UTV's, this means the factory seat is ok. For others, you must go aftermarket.
  • No leaks or other mechanical/brake/safety problems

Rules for driver/codriver:

• One piece fire suit(single layer or better)
  • Helmet meeting one of the following rules: Snell M2010/SA2010 DOT/ECE 22-05/BSI. (2005 helmets will NOT be ok for the 2015 KOH race, so check the dates)
  • Shatter resistant eye protection(helmet shield, goggles, etc)

Rules that vary between UTV Pro and UTV Sportsman:

• Roll cage. Pro requires aftermarket 6 point cage, minimum 1.5"x.120" steel tubing. Any standard production aftermarket cage meets this rule. Cage can be bolted on. Sportsman can run ANY cage. OEM 6 point ok(like factory RZR 1000), and OEM 4 point is ok with aftermarket rear braces bolted on to create a 6 point)
  • Roof. Pro requires 1/8" aluminum roof or .040 magnetic steel roof. Sportsman can get away without a roof.
  • Harnesses. 3" 5 point SFI required in Pro. Sportsman can use 4 point harness.

That's about it. It is pretty simple to run sportsman, with only minimal aftermarket parts needed for most UTV's.

Entry fees go up November 16th, so if you're racing, it's better to register early.

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
Last year they allowed the stock Wildcat cage with extra bracing in the pro class. It already meets the 1.5" x.120 steel requirement and 6 points. How do we confirm that for this year?

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Last year they allowed the stock Wildcat cage with extra bracing in the pro class. It already meets the 1.5" x.120 steel requirement and 6 points. How do we confirm that for this year?
The rules are identical to last year. If it was legal last year, it is this year too. Shannon told me this on the phone yesterday.

The ONLY exception to that is the helmet rule. SA2005 and M2005 helmets are legal in 2014, but will be illegal in 2015.

jaggedx

Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
ARR, Thanks for posting all that up here, I too have been talking with KOH folks with the goal of having simple and clear rules for the UTE's.

This list makes it pretty easy to come out and race! Sure would like to see 50 UTV entries this year and have some more guys try for the series. Definitely the least expensive way to race the King of the hammers. Again if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out here.

BS jX

BTF1

BTF1
Dec 4, 2012
Kansas
Tring to get specs on doors, 1', 1 1/4', 1 1/2' DOM??? they will be hard mounted but removable, just need to know what size tubing we have to go with. Building a car for a customer that also runs one of my 4400 cars. Thanks

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Tring to get specs on doors, 1', 1 1/4', 1 1/2' DOM??? they will be hard mounted but removable, just need to know what size tubing we have to go with. Building a car for a customer that also runs one of my 4400 cars. Thanks
There is not a spec for UTV. Any full coverage door. Opening or solid. Even the factory xp1k door with the aftermarket lower inserts would pass tech. A pro armor door with nets instead of panels would be ok.

Last I heard WEROCK dirt riot will be using the same basic rules, but you might check with Big Rich if they plan to run one of his series.

If your customer wants to campaign other desert series, try building to BITD or SCORE rules. They cover basically everything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000