Johnson Valley or Jawbone

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
I went to Jawbone last year and had fun. Haven't been to JV in over 5 years and didn't really get around except some hills and the lake bed. I liked Jawbone cause of the caves to explore etc. But aside from rock crawling and small sand dunes, what else is there to ride out to in JV? Which do you prefer?
Im planning a trip in Oct

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Save your JV trip until February and come to the Hammers. You'll see what there is to ride there.:D

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
Head to Ocotillo Wells and Truckhaven if you are in Chino... You can also check out Stoddard Wells off Outlet Center in Lenwood (Barstow) or Calico. For my gas money its a no brainer...nice flat drive out the 10 to the 86 to the 22 and Im in Ocotillo in an hour and a half from Corona.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
decisions....decisions.....
any day riding is better than sitting in my UTV in the garage, pretending im riding.... :)

Joey, Ocotillo is fun and so is Jawbone, cal city to Randsberg. Someone might be posting up a Jawbone trip this fall. Be safe out there

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
I'm up for a trip to the high desert. Ocotillo is just too far for me. And yea, save JV for KOH! I will also be doing a trip to Gorman before long whenever by buddy Ron gets his 800 back together.

Oh and btw, I raced my 570 at the sand drags at Santa Maria speedway last weekend. Clocked in at a 7.059 at 41 mph for the 100 yds. I won the Pro Bike III class when in the final the motorcycle I was against red lighted, lol!

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Head to Ocotillo Wells and Truckhaven if you are in Chino... You can also check out Stoddard Wells off Outlet Center in Lenwood (Barstow) or Calico. For my gas money its a no brainer...nice flat drive out the 10 to the 86 to the 22 and Im in Ocotillo in an hour and a half from Corona.
1.5 hours? Yeah in a car driving 85! It takes me 1.5 to get to HWY 10/86 with trailer. No way you get to OW that fast, well maybe doing 100mph. Tired of Stoddard. I might go toward Ransburg but was there in May. I'm just trying to find out how JV sights are compared to Jawbone. KOH is on my calendar but prob no cause my vacation days are taken for a 2 week trip to Asia next summer.

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
1.5 hours? Yeah in a car driving 85! It takes me 1.5 to get to HWY 10/86 with trailer. No way you get to OW that fast, well maybe doing 100mph. Tired of Stoddard. I might go toward Ransburg but was there in May. I'm just trying to find out how JV sights are compared to Jawbone. KOH is on my calendar but prob no cause my vacation days are taken for a 2 week trip to Asia next summer.
Okay...my stuff is stored in Highland at the 10/215.... So from pulling out of storage to the AM/PM at 86/22 its 1.5 hours....but still much quicker and less gas than Jaw Bone... No Cajon Pass to deal with....so thats about 2 hours vs 1.5. When you look at what is offered terrain wise for that drive, its still a no brainer for me.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Racer Randy! Your 570 is sweet and more then held its own in Miller. Sand dragging your toy how cool. Glad you won. Haven't been to Gormon in years but I want to ride for miles and go fast, don't think Gormon offers that to my recollection.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
we have several JV anderson lakebed trips planned this year. camp at anderson off of camp rock. head to slash x saloon/cafe. see the mines in the area. tons to see. cougar buttes, ect. it never gets old for us. and of course a week at KOH in feb. i wish feb was closer.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
Okay...my stuff is stored in Highland at the 10/215.... So from pulling out of storage to the AM/PM at 86/22 its 1.5 hours....but still much quicker and less gas than Jaw Bone... No Cajon Pass to deal with....so thats about 2 hours vs 1.5. When you look at what is offered terrain wise for that drive, its still a no brainer for me.
Ok maybe a little more then 2 hours but for another hour of driving might as well go to Glamis. But I've only ridden truck haven once but true about 2 hour to Jawbone vs 2.5 to Oct. I'll think about it seeing I've never ridden OW. Just that JV is closer.

T-wrecks

Apr 7, 2011
Corona CA
With no traffic it takes me 2 hours from Corona to my camping spot in Truck Haven towing at 60-65mph the whole way. Truck Haven is about 30 minutes from the 10/86. OW is only another 10 minutes if you camp right off of SR-22.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
I haven't spent any time in jawbone I have heard it is great rideing. Calico is cool lots of things to see not a whole lot is go fast riding tho. Basin road off the 15 has some cool rideing they have dunes and the river bottom and other trails. I have been to jv only a couple times on my quad the last time was for KOH and I ran across some neats trails. I am hoping to go out their this season and maybe meet up with someone their.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Gorman has some fast riding, you just gotta know where to go. I do a lot of Gorman trips as it is local to me. I'll be going up there again soon...

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
JV has tons of places to ride too. Mines, Petroglyphs, big rock and lots of cool trails to explore.

Do some Google homework and get some maps then just go for it. We've found a lot of cool stuff out there.

Ocotillo also has tons of cool things to do and see. Well worth the extra hour or so to get there.

I always figure sitting behind the wheel of my truck going somewhere for a few hours is always better than sitting on the couch watching TV. A couple less hours in camp because of driving isn't gonna bother me.

coolcat

May 18, 2013
Chino,CA
138 miles to JawB, 84 miles to JV, 153 miles to OW. I agree luv to ride, but Im not exactly oozing gas money out my pockets so trips are well planned for. I have tried to google JV sights but no too much found yet. Thought you fine folk would help me out with trails to see caves and old scribbles on walls lol.

Rokitman

Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Sigh...........while you folks are whining about a 2 hour drive, my closest drive to ride with you folks is 2 hrs for Frazier Park. Took me 4 1/2 for Miller Cyn, would be 3 hrs to Jawbone, 5 hrs to JV.
Hey, I'm on a tight budget too. I had only $20 in my wallet going to Miller Cyn and that went to gas to get home. Cry me a river!:D

Rokitman

Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
Gorman has some fast riding, you just gotta know where to go. I do a lot of Gorman trips as it is local to me. I'll be going up there again soon...
Let me know your next trip to Gorman Dave. Like I said I hope my buddy Ron has his 800 ready!

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
One other trick is to use Google earth and turn on the photos layer. Then move around in the area and see what interests you. We usuallly pick things out then figure a route from the map or just find the way on the trail heading for a GPS location. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000