J&M's New Build

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
So this is my first visit to this thread and I started scrolling down and saw the Cad sketch and said Yea! a V-8 !! Then I scroll down some more and What a dissapointment LOL Yota on BBQ gas:( But then i keep looking and WOW what a cool build. You are an amazing fabricator. really bad ass! No one has mentioned this yet but it looks like this thing is suspended on tortion bars? Talk about outside the box. Can't wait to see how it works. Ten million chevy truck owners can't be wrong. What kind of wheel travel do you you expect to get? What is the main intended use for this rig? Dunes, Rocks, rock racing?

Really cool!

BS JX

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
So this is my first visit to this thread and I started scrolling down and saw the Cad sketch and said Yea! a V-8 !! Then I scroll down some more and What a dissapointment LOL Yota on BBQ gas:( But then i keep looking and WOW what a cool build. You are an amazing fabricator. really bad ass! No one has mentioned this yet but it looks like this thing is suspended on tortion bars? Talk about outside the box. Can't wait to see how it works. Ten million chevy truck owners can't be wrong. What kind of wheel travel do you you expect to get? What is the main intended use for this rig? Dunes, Rocks, rock racing?

Really cool!

BS JX
Thanks, I think.....

I can't take the fab credit. John Mosely is doing the work. I knew what I wanted and John had the skills to make it happen.

I'll have 22"-24" of travel.
Yes, on the torsion bars.

The first one is the proto-type. There were several design constraints that had to be met. The primary objective is to build a more capable multi-sport car (not sure if I get to call it a UTV or not) for about the same cost as a production SxS.

The 22R engine and Toyota drive train were selected for their proven durability and low aquisition cost. This car could easily take a V-8 but that might not be in average Joes budget.

Torsions eliminate the high cost suspension parts found in most off-road vehicles.

Propane is being run by quite a few cars in the crawler world. Much cleaner and simpler fuel system. No fuel pumps, ECU, etc to fail. Not susceptable to stalling on steep inclines or with altitude changes. Plus I can cook a steak on the trail.

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Jim, you gonna bring this beast up for the Miller Jeep trail ride? This is a good trail to break it in....

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Great build. I don't see the torsion set up. I see little links in the rear it looks like sway bar links. More pics and explaination on the torsion suspension please.

jaggedx

Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
The torsion bars are what you are looking at.sway bars would go from side to side and provide opposing force during articulation.The torsion bars go lengthways in the chassis and are. Captured at the inboard end preload is added to the bar and thus,they. Support the weight of the vehicle

jaggedx

Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
I was just busting your chops on the yota thing. I get it! I have a full size v8 buggy so I understand the cost. This thing is really outside the box. I hope the torsion idea works. Very unique. I love this thing! Will be watching.
BSJX

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
I was just busting your chops on the yota thing. I get it! I have a full size v8 buggy so I understand the cost. This thing is really outside the box. I hope the torsion idea works. Very unique. I love this thing! Will be watching.
BSJX
You'll have to come take it for spin sometime....:cool:

jaggedx

Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Even with the lower cost of components like the motor and the torsions vs. coil over shocks. I still can't help wondering how the cost is going to be even close to a UTV. Unless you are getting the fab done for free I see a buggy that looks like 40-50K range.

There is some really baller stuff going on here.

When I built my buggy i got the motor (6.0 Chevy) for just $500 and got my Dana 60,s for $1000 for the pair. When I was done I had just over $55K tied up and i did all the work myself.

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Even with the lower cost of components like the motor and the torsions vs. coil over shocks. I still can't help wondering how the cost is going to be even close to a UTV. Unless you are getting the fab done for free I see a buggy that looks like 40-50K range.

There is some really baller stuff going on here.

When I built my buggy i got the motor (6.0 Chevy) for just $500 and got my Dana 60,s for $1000 for the pair. When I was done I had just over $55K tied up and i did all the work myself.
I'll leave the offer for a drive out there for ya.

We can talk price over an ICB when you get back... :cool:

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Nobody has put cutting brakes on a side by side because the rear differential is locked, so both rear wheels turn at the same speed no matter what. So if you put a brake on, it would just slow the car, not turn it.

G-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000