Is there such a thing as excessive nerfing?

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Imagine what kids reading this must think..it's the only place where they can get a true feel for what it's like to race that sick machine in the window...and here's a 60 year old man (when I was their age it was called 'respect') getting beat up for pointing out what the rules are in life.

I don't blame him for looking at these younger guys with an attitude as we wouldn't have gotten away with it...no how..no way.
WTF kind of comment is that?

Kids reading this ??? Where's their parents? Their parents let them read RDC community or pirate4x4 too during recess while drinking alcohol?

And who's getting BEAT UP ??? I see no punches here... just opinions and comments.

WTF You must vote for Dianne Finestein and Harry Reid huh ??!?!

Reactions: JoeyD23

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Just because someone is old, does not mean they are wise

Heck look at politicians

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rynomx785

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Since both the 1915 and 1916 cars were nerfed out of V2R I thought it was worth bringing back this subject. Before you go off that I'm whining just consider 1915 came all the way from Austin Texas to race and spent more than most except maybe Brink to get there. They went home after less than 100 mi with $2-3,000 damage. 1916 "botched" nerf according to Cody was close to disastrous and also home early with damage.

Now that we don't have TT to worry about should we have to worry about fellow competitors? Have we just jumped from the frying pan into the fire? Matlock got hammered at Baja 500. We got hit coming out of pit 3 at V2R. No siren nothing hard enough for multiple dents to our bumper but we survived.

My question is this how it's going to be.....anyone in front of anyone risks getting hammered to the point of damage to their car and possibly more as in the case of 1916 episode. We can stipulate it's part of racing but is there a point in the spirit of sportsmanship where it's gone too far and is there a way to curb it such as a class consensus that this isn't acceptable or does it escalate to retaliation like any other sport.

Just asking.......my gf would like to get in the car but I'm afraid to expose her to what might happen. I know I'm not the fastest car and less so if she's in the car so wtf? One of the concerns about putting Brett the kid afflicted with MDA was what happens if the car gets hammered with him
In it. Brian Reno and I both nixed the idea over these kinda of concerns.

So is this worthy of discussion or just see who's car is the next to go home early? Then when does retaliation become part of the equation then someone going postal?
Above is the first post of this thread.

It starts by saying two cars were nerfed out of the race. It goes on to say RZR 1915 suffered $2k to $3k in damage in the first 100miles of the race.

I read this as an accusation that fellow competitors are racing without regard. I don't think age has anything to do with it. I think often times our tone or inflection is missed online.

I have said this before. Only a handful of these drivers are really driving for the win. If your racing for a win every second matters. If you are there to get some seat time, learn, adventure or have a fun drive in the back country you better make sure your co-driver is watching the mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Well I didn't expect to change the world but the topic did get people thinking and talking which is good. At the end of the day we are all responsibly for each other's safety and culture of the sport. That said, if you get nerfed by me it's because I was brainwashed into it by this thread. And lastly BITD had my age at 52 but I made them change it....so I could say whatever I want like old folks do. Lol

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN

If you run this siren you won't need to Nerf, MFers were driving off cliffs to get out of the way with it on. Most of the time the other drivers simply don't know you're there, a really loud siren takes that part out of the equation. Only time we had to Nerf last year was a Jeep speed that knew we were there and was blocking lines.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Last year at Henderson we drove right around team south and still got called names! !!

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Last year at Henderson we drove right around team south and still got called names! !!

I heard the siren on their go pro before you passed. No nerfing. Clean pass IMO. That trail tampon in truck in front of you ... what a PITA.... was that one pistol pete's ??? lol

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
I heard the siren on their go pro before you passed. No nerfing. Clean pass IMO. That trail tampon in truck in front of you ... what a PITA.... was that one pistol pete's ??? lol
No question that was a clean pass, but you hear their siren about the same time they make the pass.

Nerfing is a risk to both cars, I'm not saying don't do it but it should be a last resort. Start with the loudest siren you can fit that way there's no question they know you're there.

Reactions: Kalop

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
No question that was a clean pass, but you hear their siren about the same time they make the pass.

Nerfing is a risk to both cars, I'm not saying don't do it but it should be a last resort. Start with the loudest siren you can fit that way there's no question they know you're there.

Right before we passed you, you moved over to the right side of your lane and we thought you were moving over for us. Now that I know you didn't know, we are lucky we didn't have a Cooper/bush mint 400 incident

Reactions: JoeyD23 and Bret901

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
Right before we passed you, you moved over to the right side of your lane and we thought you were moving over for us. Now that I know you didn't know, we are lucky we didn't have a Cooper/bush mint 400 incident

That was LCB driving but if I remember correctly he didn't know you we're passing.

Reactions: facteryfmf

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
That was LCB driving but if I remember correctly he didn't know you we're passing.

BTW if you pay close attention to the video, during the pass we damn near ripped the suspension off the car on a wash out....

LASER DAVE

Sep 6, 2015
Wow what a thread.... Just bought a new XP1000 and am thinking of racing it. I have raced in other classes and Nerfing has been mostly accecpted, some like it others don't. I agree and do feel that its probably a NOT a very good Idea to have a UTV nerfed by some of the much larger cars.

This brings a memerory back to me of racing my TT at a Whiplash Loop race, a friend of mine also raced that day but in a smaller 7s truck. We were forturnate enough for two things, 1) we Shared primary radio Freq. 2) we had a plan that when I finaly caught him we would radio him, we did and the pass didn't hurt either of us.

Why mention this????? with all the new digital radio stuff happening why couldn't there be a short distance transmit/recieve channel put into the radio systems? talk to the car in front.

Also has anyone thought of the use a the Rear Bumper Sensors on vehicles and connect them to a light on the dash? Have know idea of the true range of practicality of either idea....all I know is I like to pass, its what makes racing so fun. Some may recall BJ Balwins experince with the Sentinal system at Dakar.
I feel if they know your there and chose not to move.....move them yourself.

To the Cognito Drivers, wow what Patience, or so it seems. maybe you both were running as hard as the cars would go. Being the back seat VIDEO Driver, looks like at times your car had more to give, but just no way around.

To George Felix; glad to see some one take up the whole issue......and with the current rules...seem very clear. But the UTV group has definetly move the sport to full Professional.....with that said, are you guys out for a trail or Porker run? Or here to Race?

DT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000