Is Cory Sappington and the UTVRA relevant?

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
Wait what? I can't race 2016 Pro UTV with xp4 with new power from 2 seat turbo? I need it to be based upon a 4 seat car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rules are a mess and what ever cory says you better get it in writing I had him tell me one thing and then tell me he never said that when i was building my car and had to have the builder cut stuff out and change it

Reactions: jajl22

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Wait what? I can't race 2016 Pro UTV with xp4 with new power from 2 seat turbo? I need it to be based upon a 4 seat car?

If the xpturbo4 is for sale to the public, you can do it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
This is insanity... If a new race team cannot understand how to make a legal competitive car, the governing body is irrelevant. I now understand why this topic came up. This is insanity... Is there a rule book? Could you imagine if this happened in 6100 or TT or Class 1? The racers would lose their minds. This needs to get fixed or this class will suffer. I am done, I am not going to race BITD. I am going to build a killer NA UTV, like we planned and race SCORE and SNORE on a limited basis. Over it...!

Reactions: JoeyD23

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
This is insanity... If a new race team cannot understand how to make a legal competitive car, the governing body is irrelevant. I now understand why this topic came up. This is insanity... Is there a rule book? Could you imagine if this happened in 6100 or TT or Class 1? The racers would lose their minds. This needs to get fixed or this class will suffer. I am done, I am not going to race BITD. I am going to build a killer NA UTV, like we planned and race SCORE and SNORE on a limited basis. Over it...!

Score rules are same as bitd.
Rules are at www.utvra.com

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Lol. Of course they are... I am going to show up in a fire suit with a turbo on my hand. See if I get through tech. See you in San Felipe... Thanks for all the info. Seriously, you guys are great. Hope to race against you guys and be able to compete. We have some serious drivers and great support team. Lots of SCORE wins in other classes. We want to make a run at it. That was the great thing about this class. Hope that xp4 Turbo comes out soon... Thanks again...

Reactions: facteryfmf

rico

Oct 16, 2014
Lehi, UT
BITD RULEBOOK

UTV-15 ENGINE LOCATION AND DISPLACEMENT: For all UTV classes the Maximum engine displacement is 1000cc. Pro Production class UTVs must use stock engine cases and cylinder head. Note, the engine update rule will start to be effective January 1 2016. Engine updates are allowed, as long as the frame and suspension mounting points match the updated engine. This engine update rule is effective January 1 2016.

Seems like this verbiage indicates any production engine could be dropped into any production car that has the same engine and suspension mounting points. According to this, wouldn't kornfed be in the clear? Feel free to elaborate....

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
BITD RULEBOOK

UTV-15 ENGINE LOCATION AND DISPLACEMENT: For all UTV classes the Maximum engine displacement is 1000cc. Pro Production class UTVs must use stock engine cases and cylinder head. Note, the engine update rule will start to be effective January 1 2016. Engine updates are allowed, as long as the frame and suspension mounting points match the updated engine. This engine update rule is effective January 1 2016.

Seems like this verbiage indicates any production engine could be dropped into any production car that has the same engine and suspension mounting points. According to this, wouldn't kornfed be in the clear? Feel free to elaborate....
The pro utv class rules state that the utv must be available to purchase. If Polaris release a 4 seater turbo then he is good.

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
So whats going on here??? Any updates???
I only had 2 people contact me.
I think at this point the best option is the questionnaire/petition that Bill Schueler from Jagged got together. I know Casey from BITD is gone on a 2 week vacation tho.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
I spoke to Bill S. this morning..He and Cory went over the questionnaires.. Bill presented the information and it sounded like he and Cory made some headway... I'll let Bill fill in the details- but it sounded encouraging.

kornfed

May 13, 2015
Costa Mesa
www.tetraracing.com
Any idea on timing for the results? What is the top class for 2016 PRO UTV? Turbo or NA...? If turbo, can I put a factory turbo power plant into my 2015 NA XP4 1000 from a 2 seat XP Turbo and Race? Hopefully the questionnaire covers this scenario...

dmurray

#1917 BITD - UTVUnderground Approved
Apr 13, 2010
Eastvale CA
www.murrayracing.com
I talked with Cory today. From what I understand he and Bill Schueler have gone over all of the data received from racers at VtoR and a few who sent in the forms by email who were not there. They have gathered all of the data and have a few plans to clarify the rules in the areas that there are questions. As Justin stated the best thing to do if there is doubt is call Cory. He is quick to help everyone. I do know that the rules are scheduled to be released after all items are considered for the 2016 season. Including turbos, multiple cylinders, clutches etc. There are many more items that are to be considered over and above Turbos in the near future. So far as mentioned before, I am aware of 2 rule changes so far. 32" tires which have been requested by many for 2016 and that to keep cost less for all competitors with the rapid increase of power, that motor upgrades will be available to all teams long as the motor matches the frame. This will allow upgrades with out having to build a new car every 6 months. Also noted that UTV 1900 class is one of the few manufacture backed classes. This inherently demands new platforms be used as the oems release them. This is not a class where the rules will be the same forever. This will be a growing class and the OEM will always want the latest and greatest production units racing. This will be the plus and minus of this class as each OEM may have an advantage for periods of time until the next creates the next best thing....

Regarding the question of xp4 chassis with Turbo motor. The rules would allow this long as the xp4 frame is the same as the one that Polaris releases. If the xp4 is released with the same frame then yes you can upgrade for 2016. IF Polaris does not release it or changes it then no the rules would not allow. The frame has to match the motor from the OEM and it has to be in the showroom to buy. We understand this as we have had to build 5 race cars in the last 5 years. its crazy. But that is the best and worst part of this class. Hope this makes since. --- I know that all of the current xp2 seat frames racing can be upgraded to the new power plant in the current car for 2016 as they are available now.

Lastly to reference the past.... in 2010 when there were rhino 660 racing there were rzr 800 and even artic cat with a 1000. There was a major hp advantage at the time. No one wanted the 1000 to race because everyone had a 660 or 700 or 800. Now look how many of those cars low cc are running today when people at the time fought just as people are now to keep a class for them. In 2 years how may of the current cars will be running?? This is the evolution of this class and it is not going to stop. Last year they made a 850 class and it has since died with no body racing it. This class is on the move and it will grow. This is what makes it exciting and challenging at the same time. See you on the track for some fun!!!

Reactions: kornfed

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Letting OEMs dictate rules and structure is not sustainable. Then again, neither is letting a factory sponsored competitor....

The class needs to control how vehicles are implemented, not OEMs. Everyone will race themselves right out of the class because building 5 new cars in 5 years is not feasible for 90% of the class. People have been doing it but like anything at some point the bubble will pop. I don't want to be sitting here in 5 years saying I told you so on this one.

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
Last year they made a 850 class and it has since died with no body racing it.
This move was too little too late in my opinion. The 850 class needed to be introduced 2 years earlier to keep all of those race cars in the rotation. If the class continues on the path it is there will be 10 teams racing where as if we as a class take the bull by the horn we could have 100 plus UTVs racing.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Letting OEMs dictate rules and structure is not sustainable. Then again, neither is letting a factory sponsored competitor....

The class needs to control how vehicles are implemented, not OEMs. Everyone will race themselves right out of the class because building 5 new cars in 5 years is not feasible for 90% of the class. People have been doing it but like anything at some point the bubble will pop. I don't want to be sitting here in 5 years saying I told you so on this one.
This is what I have been saying and it seems to fall on def ears. Joey I dont think its going to take 5 years. My bet is if 2016 is the same as this year, you have about another 3 solid years before it starts to fall apart.

DMurray's comment about having to build 5 new cars in 5 years is a total joke. I guess its no big deal when you are factory sponsored and given cars and and a budget to build them. If that is going to be the acceptable norm of this class, then it is doomed to fail as of today. The UTV class will always be an entry level class. Note I did not say entry level budget class! But the fact is this class will introduce many to the sport and after a few years, they will either love the sport or get out. If they love it, they will look to get into another class as why build another UTV? They will look at a class that is more affordable, or faster, or one that you can have a 5 + year old car and still win races. I know of 15-20 year old 1600 cars that still kick ass and win. Same with 5/1600, class 12 ect...

Justin Lofton's class 1 Jimco that won races and even overalled a few races. Until last year when they built the new TT. The class 1 car was built back in 2002. Yes 2002! The car had been completely upgraded over the years. But the fact is that Jimco class 1 was originally built in 2002. And the UTV's want to make building a new car every year or two the norm?

The mentality of the sponsored few, who also have a bigger voice and say in the class are what are going to destroy this class. I think I said it in the "State of the UTV class" thread. Its the greedy few that can only see today that will kill the class. You need to put aside your personal best interest and look at the class as a whole for the long term.

But what do I know??

Reactions: tatum and JoeyD23

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA

The way everyone is carrying on sounds like the bubble is popping right now.

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
It is, I know of two cars that have already been put up for sale.
I know of 3 cars for sale too (or about to be for sale).. and I bet they are NOT the same cars as you know of.. loads of uncertainty.. but my recommendation is to hold off.. I'm betting things will come to fruition hopefully soon..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000