i started to pimp my carhauler this weekend

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
finally getting around to extend my 16" Carson carhauler. now my Rhino and RZR1 will fit without removing the Rhino tailgate. i plan on doing alot of preventative work to the trailer in the next few weeks. stay tunned.

i started on my dove tail install today and it went faster and easier than i thought it would.

i cut off the ramp storage angle iron and cleaned up the rear of the trailer. then i cut the side extensions to give me a 4" drop over 27" with 13" of ground clearance. i beveled all of the new metal to trailer and tacked it on and checked for square. hopefully tomorrow i can weld it out and install the fish plates to the side splice area. could not have had better weather for a AZ weekend in June.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
AWESOME Idea Mike!!

I bet your neighbors love you as much as Rusty's love him...nothing like a quiet Sunday afternoon interupted by the hillbilly next door using a chop saw and grinding away! LOL Do you weld at 2am like him too? Lighting up the entire neighborhood? hahahahh J/K

Keep the pics coming, this is a great idea. I cant tell you how many people I know hwo have had to sell trailers to upgrade to a trailer that has another foot or 2 length to it...

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
AWESOME Idea Mike!!

I bet your neighbors love you as much as Rusty's love him...nothing like a quiet Sunday afternoon interupted by the hillbilly next door using a chop saw and grinding away! LOL Do you weld at 2am like him too? Lighting up the entire neighborhood? hahahahh J/K

Keep the pics coming, this is a great idea. I cant tell you how many people I know hwo have had to sell trailers to upgrade to a trailer that has another foot or 2 length to it...
no complaints from my neighbors they all bring me stuff to fix. most of them stop by and see what i am building next. its amazing that most people dont fix anything themselves, bunch of non mechanically inclined people running around this world. but thats kinda good i make alot of side cash moolah for fixing stuff.

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
careful mike- when we put two on my 16ft carson with the ramp down in the rear(like an extension)- the damn thing starts swaying at 60mph. not enough weight up front.

I only do this when I go a few miles from my house to ride.

hopefully this week im going to cut off the side ramp (we used for quads) and brace that back up and put a rack there so we can put one sxs on sideways there. but be able to remove that rack when not needed.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
My neighbors suck. I fixed my neighbors boat trailer and he complained when I worked on it. I can't win. 2:00am welding is a must maybe once a year. They complain at 7:00pm on a Saturday. Screw them. They all use their garages to park mini vans in. Bunch of pussys.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
My neighbors suck. I fixed my neighbors boat trailer and he complained when I worked on it. I can't win. 2:00am welding is a must maybe once a year. They complain at 7:00pm on a Saturday. Screw them. They all use their garages to park mini vans in. Bunch of pussys.

damn you need to move to a friendlier neighbor hood. friggin Nazi's over there.

most of my neighbors garages are full of boxes and crap soo much they cannot even park their mini vans in them.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
careful mike- when we put two on my 16ft carson with the ramp down in the rear(like an extension)- the damn thing starts swaying at 60mph. not enough weight up front.QUOTE]

i have extended the front of my hauler so my Rhino front tires are 12" forward of the deck. with the new extension i might back the rhino on to give more weight up front. will see.

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
careful mike- when we put two on my 16ft carson with the ramp down in the rear(like an extension)- the damn thing starts swaying at 60mph. not enough weight up front.QUOTE]

i have extended the front of my hauler so my Rhino front tires are 12" forward of the deck. with the new extension i might back the rhino on to give more weight up front. will see.

cool. just something to think about. it sucks only going 50-55 when we have two on there

Pahrump

PINK
Jul 17, 2009
Beaumont TX
We had the same issue as KJ...took a nice 16ft trailer with 7000K axles...extended it 2' so we could haul 2 SxS on it and loaded it sways pretty bad above 60-65....no matter whats pulling it

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
careful mike- when we put two on my 16ft carson with the ramp down in the rear(like an extension)- the damn thing starts swaying at 60mph. not enough weight up front.

Not to be a smart ass here but from the looks of this image you need to bring the front of your trailer down to get your trailer level. This will help, maybe not solve your issue but having the trailer tilted will put more weight on the rear axle.

Just sayin'

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
Not to be a smart ass here but from the looks of this image you need to bring the front of your trailer down to get your trailer level. This will help, maybe not solve your issue but having the trailer tilted will put more weight on the rear axle.

Just sayin'

its how i parked-I wanted the rear of the trailer as low as possiable to drive off.

and yes it has the right drop hitch and is level when on flat ground.

Mfdoffroad

Jan 4, 2010
Anytime you extend a trailer you need to move the axles. The reason they sway is because the axle is to far forward now. I have a 16' that I am going to be extending also and if I remember correctly i need to move the axles back about 14.5 inches. I'll check and see for sure when I get home as I have already figured it out. Now if you have the room up front you can also extend the front and rear of the deck in the right proportions so that you don't have to move the axles. Just depends if your tongue is lon enough. Love the dove tail you added though. I was originally planning on doing a dove tail it I won't be able to make it up my drive way if I do so I have to stick with it being flat

FabMan

Jan 9, 2010
Leslie, Mo.
MFD is right guy's. 60/40 front to rear is how you want to load it. Backing both machines on the trailer will help a little bit too. With 2 machines on that size trailer you will never get the weight right on it even if you move the axles back. If you have to keep this trailer, move the axles back, back the machines on the trailer and install sway controls & make sure it is level.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
yes i will be extending the tong forward too. i have enough 5" channel iron to just cut off the old and add to the front. but it will have to wait untill it get cooler outside. friggin hotter than hell for 3 months here in AZ.

we are leaving for the beach in a few minutes, getting out of this crap for a week will be nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000