Kawasaki I need some clutch help 999cc

Poopy

May 16, 2013
This is my first sxs, Its Jon Crowleys old KOH Teryx, and it's got a muzzys 999cc motor and Dalton Clutch.

Where I am confused is how to setup the clutch with all the variables, Daltons instructions mention motors with cams and some upgrades, but nothing like a 999cc muzzys motor.

The belt free play is one thing I was wondering, as it sits I have around 40mm of play, factory spec is somewhere around 23 or 24mm I think. Should I do what I can to get it back to factory spec or was it setup like that for a reason? The delivery is smooth and not jerky at all.

Next up, it came with 27.5" tires and I switched to 26" maxxis big horn 2.0s for short course racing, should I be adjusting something?

Help! I need to beat RZR's.

:confused::D:D

sully427

Red Rider - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
get a tach figure your peek rpm/power, you will probably have to and weight in the primary clutch

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
There are shims in the secondary clutch that can be changed or removed to adjust the belt deflection. Keep in mind it is better to have a loose belt than a tight belt. To change the shims, remove the clutch, compress the spring on the back side using the special tools or a press, remove the clip that will be exposed when the spring is compressed. Then you remove the 4 guide pins from the center using a magnet. Then the two halves will slide apart, exposing the shims. It can be time consuming to get the deflection correct.
The advice about checking your rpms under acceleration is going to be key to making sure the primary weights are setup properly.

Poopy

May 16, 2013
Thanks guys! So, short of putting it on a dyno, is it just seat of the pants plus a tach to find peak torque/rpm? I have a friend with a tuning shop and dyno, I was thinking of bringing it there to see where it's making power anyways.

So say my peak torque comes in at 7500 rpm, now what?

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Thanks guys! So, short of putting it on a dyno, is it just seat of the pants plus a tach to find peak torque/rpm? I have a friend with a tuning shop and dyno, I was thinking of bringing it there to see where it's making power anyways.

So say my peak torque comes in at 7500 rpm, now what?
You need an engine dyno to do that. Or you have to purposefully setup the clutch wrong (with heavy fly weights) and then test on the chassis dyno to find peak power rpm.

The way to do it is put a tach in the vehicle. Drive it as is and note the rpm the engine runs at while accelerating at WOT. This is during the "shifting" phase of the clutch, not at top speed. Then call Muzzys and find out where your engine package makes peak power. Muzzys has an engine dyno, they should know this rpm. Then compare that rpm to the one you observed when driving your car. If it is the same, or real close, good! If not, then you need to adjust the weights to achieve the target rpm.

Poopy

May 16, 2013
You need an engine dyno to do that. Or you have to purposefully setup the clutch wrong (with heavy fly weights) and then test on the chassis dyno to find peak power rpm.

The way to do it is put a tach in the vehicle. Drive it as is and note the rpm the engine runs at while accelerating at WOT. This is during the "shifting" phase of the clutch, not at top speed. Then call Muzzys and find out where your engine package makes peak power. Muzzys has an engine dyno, they should know this rpm. Then compare that rpm to the one you observed when driving your car. If it is the same, or real close, good! If not, then you need to adjust the weights to achieve the target rpm.
YES! Finally I get it. Thank you SOOOO much. :D:D:D

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I run mine at 9000 rpm for short course.A stock Dalton is to heavy to get that many rpm even if all the weights are taken out.

Poopy

May 16, 2013
I run mine at 9000 rpm for short course.A stock Dalton is to heavy to get that many rpm even if all the weights are taken out.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to phone muzzys tomorrow if they are back from the kawasaki show. What clutch are you running?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000