How will the Turbo Maverick affect UTV racing?

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

• Total voters

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
You just said it! The UTV class is suppose to be cheaper then class 10. To be honest I don't think the UTV class for some is very far off the cost to run class 10. Give it another few years and you will be more expensive! I guarantee it!

That is what happened with class 10, it was suppose to be cheaper then class 1. A stepping stone to class 1. But what happened is the engine costs and gear box cost started to exceed that of class 1 engines, and guys were like, hey I can race class 1 for the same price? Or some where just priced out of class 10 and went back to class 12, which is a whole nother history lesson! Class 12 evolved because of class 10 rules & costs getting out of hand. Again if you don't know your history you will be doomed to repeat it!

If you want to know more just ask. I don't want to spout off paragraphs if no one want to know.
I believe that utv race cars will get cheaper, not more expensive. This is because they are evolving and coming box stock more capable with every new release. And we all can see how fast new releases are coming. Racing and winning with a very simple utv build is totally doable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
Motive what you just said is turbo are not being held back wrong. You say its the belt right. then 2017 rzr is what you just described more boost same belt right....

The desert levels the playing field. If you don't belive me type in cognito they just proved it. You need teams to find the right motor build and rubber band system to move ahead not hold the teams back. Then you will see the whole turbo class leave the NA class in the dust.
Sorry if I didn't make my point clear. I do not think the belt on the turbo is holding back the turbos. My point was that despite the turbos having more power in stock form than a motor like Cognito uses, Cognito still kills everyone because the things you just listed. He knows how to drive without breaking it. He knows "the desert levels the playing field" probably better than anyone else in the class right now. If Justin had switched to a turbo and had the time to learn all the issues like he has his NA car he would still be dominating. What I was trying to say is that the RULES that the UTVRA has implemented is not holding back the turbos from winning overalls. (I was trying to respond to your post #295) As the rules stand, a turbo car, Can AM or Polaris, could overall any race if the turbo racers learned the things Justin and the Cognito team has.

I do not care if rules are or are not made to make sure a turbo overalls every time. As it is right now, a good chunk of the teams running turbos are having issues keeping the pace. Opening up power mods will increase the number of DNS. I believe that costs in this class need to be kept from running out of hand. Regardless of how Cory or anyone else goes about that with respect to the motor, it will come down to how effectively they can police the policies. I totally understand those concerns about policing "sealed motors" if they don't come from a single shop or if the racers are allowed to freshen up a motor.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Sorry if I didn't make my point clear. I do not think the belt on the turbo is holding back the turbos. My point was that despite the turbos having more power in stock form than a motor like Cognito uses, Cognito still kills everyone because the things you just listed. He knows how to drive without breaking it. He knows "the desert levels the playing field" probably better than anyone else in the class right now. If Justin had switched to a turbo and had the time to learn all the issues like he has his NA car he would still be dominating. What I was trying to say is that the RULES that the UTVRA has implemented is not holding back the turbos from winning overalls. (I was trying to respond to your post #295) As the rules stand, a turbo car, Can AM or Polaris, could overall any race if the turbo racers learned the things Justin and the Cognito team has.

I do not care if rules are or are not made to make sure a turbo overalls every time. As it is right now, a good chunk of the teams running turbos are having issues keeping the pace. Opening up power mods will increase the number of DNS. I believe that costs in this class need to be kept from running out of hand. Regardless of how Cory or anyone else goes about that with respect to the motor, it will come down to how effectively they can police the policies. I totally understand those concerns about policing "sealed motors" if they don't come from a single shop or if the racers are allowed to freshen up a motor.
Motive its not the power mods, you will always have teams going bigger and faster and stronger always trying to find the edge in racing. Maybe because you haven't been around bitd for long time but COGNITO had growing pains to find the right combination. Ask Justin and jim about STM and there paper weights. They found the right motor combination and trans combination with proper tuning of motor and clutch set up now they are having a dream season in BITD. Now ask COGNITO if they would be having that same season if they were to run a sealed 1000na motor and no tuning. Nope because stock sucks. The biggest question is why hasn't the great UTVRA made any kind of payback system or sponsor system for you guys 10 years into this? The next time you bitch and complain that UTV racing is getting expensive go to UTVRA and ask him why is there no payback or sponsor helping the racers. You want the cost to go done tell UTVRA to have stock class only cage and fuel cell, nothing else can be changed from stock cheap and easy. Have a open class run what you brung. Cheap class and money/fast class, see what class takes off.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
Stripping shop, I am in agreement with everything you are saying. Maybe I am reading you wrong but I'm not sure if you are trying to correct me or not.

A stock class would be painful to endure and would dry up aftermarket support in the sport. Just look at how the engine turners felt about not being able to touch the turbo ECU. For the record, I am not for or against what Cory is thinking about doing. I feel the rules should be set up in a way to give those that give to our sport the opportunity to showcase what they do. Racers aren't their bread and butter but it still helps drive outside sales.

I'm all for a health open class but that always becomes a catchall class. Now if there was 5 or more cars that went all out with bypass shocks, air bumpstops, and a healthy drivetrain that could hold together... That would make for some interesting racing. Especially when they got mixed in with other classes.

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Motive I agree to disagree lol. Nikal has great points he is just missing a couple things. Class 10 topped out and they needed to find away to level it out then the sealed motor ecotech saved the class right. Yes and no why you ask should of went with a manufacture that would support desert racing and put money into class to get paid. Same goes with trophy truck, class 6100 has grown huge but same issue no support from manufacturer. Utv are still growing why stop them from doing so. Why not learn from mistake as nikal says. You need 2 classes 1 for the bad ass mother fucker who wants to go fast. 2nd class all stock with all safety stuff and let the manufacturer battle it out. what wins on raceday sells on Monday. You need to find the top of the mountain first then level it out.

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Ive been saying this very same thing forever here. 2 classes. A Pro class with maybe stock ish suspension points and 1000cc limit. Must start out with a Manufacturered UTV motor. Those would be the only rules. And a Pro light class. Have some Saftey stuff and maybe some suspension/clutching changes and thats it. No turbo. Somthing for everyone. This would hopefully get all the better supported teams in one class and battling it out. There has to be a place for the engine builders and the fabricators to show thier work off. This will have to happen anyway if the rumor is true that we might see the Turbocharged / Gear Boxed 1000cc Artic Cat race car unveiled before Sema is over with. This would be the only way the other manufacturers would stay competitive. Hope it's true. I think that would finally bring an end to the CVT in these high Preformance UTVs . Good riddance.

Last edited:

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
How many people out there would race in a "stock UTV" class in desert racing? Role call anyone? Would it just be an occasional race for fun or would anyone put in a serious effort to race an entire series? If its just for fun, there are already classes for these racers that don't get large entry numbers.

How many manufactures or aftermarket companies are going to invest in a "stock UTV" class?

How much outside money will be invested in this class? Monster? Rockstar? General Tire?

I could totally be wrong but I believe it would be dead on the vine. From everything I have seen, every racer wants to be in the "elite" class. Teams that are already bare budget teams are still building turbo cars to race next season. I give it about 2 years and you won't see any new NA cars because a "lesser" class is not the way racers want to go even though it could very well be a hugely competitive class with the factory teams moving out. As a final thought on the subject, being able to build or upgrade a car is a way to level the playing field between model year releases. In a mostly stock class, what might be the winning platform this year could easily be a back setter the next year. With the way UTVs are advancing, that gives you a one year period to race competitively.

What works great for a one manufacture race (terracross) doesn't necessarily work for an already very expensive series like BITD.

Reactions: tatum and COGNITO

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
How many people out there would race in a "stock UTV" class in desert racing? Role call anyone? Would it just be an occasional race for fun or would anyone put in a serious effort to race an entire series? If its just for fun, there are already classes for these racers that don't get large entry numbers.

How many manufactures or aftermarket companies are going to invest in a "stock UTV" class?

How much outside money will be invested in this class? Monster? Rockstar? General Tire?

I could totally be wrong but I believe it would be dead on the vine. From everything I have seen, every racer wants to be in the "elite" class. Teams that are already bare budget teams are still building turbo cars to race next season. I give it about 2 years and you won't see any new NA cars because a "lesser" class is not the way racers want to go even though it could very well be a hugely competitive class with the factory teams moving out. As a final thought on the subject, being able to build or upgrade a car is a way to level the playing field between model year releases. In a mostly stock class, what might be the winning platform this year could easily be a back setter the next year. With the way UTVs are advancing, that gives you a one year period to race competitively.

What works great for a one manufacture race (terracross) doesn't necessarily work for an already very expensive series like BITD.
I agree with most all of this motive except for the fact that then your completely turning class 19 into a spending free for all. So maybe instead of having 60 entries you only get 30 because some teams cant afford it and others move to a 10 car to go faster and spend about the same. Id bet it wouldn't be much difference price wise with more open rules. Not sure what the answer is.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
I totally agree that something should be done to keep costs down. I do not know what the answer is either. The UTV class is in a very unique place right now. there is alot that we can learn from the history of other classes. Not all of it applies directly. I do not fully buy into the class 10 comparisons becasue class 10 is not based off a constantly evolving base of cars to build from. If UTVs want to keep the factory support flowing then it will require constantly building off the latest platforms. Its not like the ford/chevy supported classes of years ago where you got so much for winning with an older model fiberglass and more if you had the current models fiberglass. Its the big catch 22. Manufacturers want to see their latest cars out there and they will only support the class if we keep building them. Building a new car every couple of years is the expensive part. Not what the rules say we can or can't do.

About totally opening the rules on motor modifications. Casey has already said he doesn't ant the UTV class to get faster so that means we will get some form of limiting factor. How to do that in an enforceable manner that doesn't drive up costs is the real question. I'm guessing BITD is the driving force but how to go about it has been left up to Cory.

My solution would include making rule changes at least 6 months before implimenting them on anything reguarding what you can and can't do. Rules reguarding what motor size, adding turbos, or anything else the manufacturers might effect should have a year or 2 lock on it. If a new model comes out that doesn't fit, no rule should be changed mid season in order to make it available for some factory team to effectivly run it before anyone else has had a chance to even sit in it.

Reactions: bluediamond

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Motive if you are a business man can you tell me if UTVRA model is a growing business or just plan stagnant, look at past, present and future. Look at BITD how much pushing and pulling did mad media/joey d get to move forward on mint400 and utv championship, Lets check what are the 2 greatest events now. If it was up to casey he would just have same events v2r/parker at same rate/stagnant. UTVRA needs to do the same he can make this huge or just run it stagnant until it fizzles out. You need a close to stock class that brings the new blood and wait for it low cost build. You want to move into the big boy class bring your money and your time to be a pro, with real pay back and real sponsors. That's how the sport should be set up. As of now what did cognito win for the longest race V2R, what about 3k should of been about 30k by now. remember 10 years to build UTVRA

Reactions: JoeyD23

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
its still hard to believe that everyone is charged a fee for tech, by a can-am sponsored racer also racing in the same class. i know everyone is silent about it but i know everyone secretly wonders in their heads "where does that money go" i am sure it pays his way thru the races and his hotel fees and such. it doesnt appear that he lobbies for more sponsors or tried to draw in and influence and help increase the size of the sport. with sponsors in the series adding to the payouts these races could actually be worth winning. i thought it was a sham at the payouts these races have with the incredible amount of money going into the classes. of all the race series i follow from mud racing to rock racing to cross country racing, it seems that the desert classes have without a doubt as much or more factory support in the UTV classes than any other form of racing and with these ever increasing numbers of racers showing up at every race i wonder why the payouts are so low. alot of the other series i follow have better payouts with less factory involvement and fewer turn outs. these rock races, sponsors and donors put together some overwhelming payouts. these guys race up 2 or 3 hills a total of 60 seconds of race time total for a $15,000 purse and a few bounty hills this year have exceeded $5,000 payouts for climbing 1 hill. you run the risk of damaging your machine but the hill killers rarely ever destroy a machine. this desert racing DOES destroy a machine. you gotta rebuild the whole machine every race if you even remotely plan on being competetive. the cost VS reward in this desert racing seems awfully upside down, you must just have to really want to do it because gosh its expensive and the winning pot is so little you cant even cover your fuel bill.

if it was my baby to handle, i would be lobbying for more sponsors like Coca-Cola BFGoodrich and Redbull and Monster heck even car dealerships. These sponsors give sponsorship in some forms to individual racers but what if you were able to get them to sponsor the whole series like General Tire does. like Tecate was doing with the Score races. i think the individual racers want to gain sponsorships for themselves to help offset the costs. What about lobbying to these sponsors to give to the whole series. make the whole series gain more publicity and start drawing in more big name sponsors. I know when Mad Media is planning the World Championship and Mint400 they call in to Monster to try to gain sponsorships. They try and market the publicity that these big events will bring in to sell a "spot" to monster and other big name companies. I get the same packet every year with vendor and sponsorship packages. you would be absolutely amazed at what some of these big companies are paying just for the publicity packages to be set up at these two big races. the only real problem is, these two big races and the publicity it brings is a result of Mad Media and UTVUG, all that money from big sponsors goes in Mad Medias pocket and not back to the series or payouts for racers. BIG money, sponsors lay down big money for the publicity. Mad Media has done an amazing job at making those two big races big. Polaris stepping up and giving the winners a brand new RZR and sponsorship packages ect. this kinda support from sponsors and vendors wouldnt happen without someone working behind the scenes to draw in the big sponsors and big vendors. yes i understand Mad Media does a tremendous amount of leg work putting these events together and it makes them big and draws a big crowd. but all it takes is an idea and someone thats willing to work at it and you can make the whole BITD series as big as those individual races. and rather than pulling in 7figures worth of sponsorship money for publicity on one race, have the sponsors putting that into race payouts. with big race payouts you will draw a crowd thats double what it is now.

a few years back there was this wealthy guy who wanted to impress his friends with a party at his house. he paid for a nice band to come set up in his back yard. he decided he wanted to hold some mud races in his back yard (large acreage) and so he contacted the mud race series and told the promoter "i wanna have a race at my place whatever your typical payouts are i will double them i want a huge event" the race promoter put the call out and flyers out. the typical mud races brought 4 classes and about 30-40 racers total. this race, with just double the money that it normally has, brought out over 200 racers. folks coming out of the woodworks from maryland and canada all the way down to alabama. a promoter who made some calls and had double the payouts to work with, quadrupled the turn out of their normal races.

i think if you could get a few big name sponsors to jump on board with BITD and really promote it you could draw crowds that would overwhelm what you can imagine now. you would need a real set of rules, folks to hold those rules, and turn BITD into a serious race series that is bigger than you can imagine from what you have seen in the past. some folks love racing, desert racing is awesome, and there are tons of folks i bet that have raced in the past and got out of it because of bickering or money got slim or there are cross country racers that havent stepped into desert racing because of the cost and little payouts arent going to draw them in. you get some big name sponsors in with money going to payouts and you will draw in droves of folks, past racers, new racers, and have every races as big as the Mint400

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Motive if you are a business man can you tell me if UTVRA model is a growing business or just plan stagnant, look at past, present and future. Look at BITD how much pushing and pulling did mad media/joey d get to move forward on mint400 and utv championship, Lets check what are the 2 greatest events now. If it was up to casey he would just have same events v2r/parker at same rate/stagnant. UTVRA needs to do the same he can make this huge or just run it stagnant until it fizzles out. You need a close to stock class that brings the new blood and wait for it low cost build. You want to move into the big boy class bring your money and your time to be a pro, with real pay back and real sponsors. That's how the sport should be set up. As of now what did cognito win for the longest race V2R, what about 3k should of been about 30k by now. remember 10 years to build UTVRA
The UTVRA is not a real association or business per se, Yes its Cory's "Business", but its more about BITD Tech and controlling BITD rules, because Casey hired Cory to do so. Its not a business with a "business plan" for growth, they are not out Promoting races or bring money to the class. The UTVRA to the best of my knowledge does not have any influence on any other race series, I'm I correct on that? Years ago I know they tried to make it where the two big series, BITD and Score ran the same rules to make the class consistent, which is very important to have a class succeed. I believe both series did run the exact same rules, up to a year or so ago? Around the time the Turbo's came in.

Having a stock class to bring in new blood or a more budget type of racer is important. Its a feeder to the big more expensive classes, which in reality is what the UTV is to the whole racing series. Just as 5/1600 and 1600 have been to the buggy classes. IMO that stock UTV feeder class should not be in BITD. BITD is not a feeder series. BITD and Score are considered the two Big Dogs. The top two off-road Series in North America. Take away the cost of the vehicle and just look at the cost to run in both of those series. That alone will out budget your entry level, new blood teams that you are talking about.

This is why we have series like MORE, AVE, CODE, and the little unknown, very cool D38 series. These are series, where budget minded racers or new blood should be starting. It also gives them a place to learn and perfect their driving skills and durability of their equipment.

For example the D38 series in Plaster City has a race on 11/12/16. The entry fee is $150 (Not sure the pay back %?) The UTV's will run 5, 18 mile laps. They have a Stock Production class, where you can run the stock fuel tank, cage, etc.. (Its advised that you run an aftermarket cage, but stock is legal in the stock class.) You only need a helmet, driving suit, wrist restraints or window nets, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit. Other then that you are good to go in a stock machine! If you want to build up your machine, then you just move yourself up into Pro Production class. I was told at the last race they had 24 UTV's racing, 10 were in the Stock class. BTW the UTV's do not race at the same time as the bikes and quads, so the track is all yours!

http://amad38.com/RaceFlyers/2016_PlunkettMemorialFlyer_UTV.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: COGNITO

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
its still hard to believe that everyone is charged a fee for tech, by a can-am sponsored racer also racing in the same class. i know everyone is silent about it but i know everyone secretly wonders in their heads "where does that money go" i am sure it pays his way thru the races and his hotel fees and such. it doesnt appear that he lobbies for more sponsors or tried to draw in and influence and help increase the size of the sport. with sponsors in the series adding to the payouts these races could actually be worth winning. i thought it was a sham at the payouts these races have with the incredible amount of money going into the classes. of all the race series i follow from mud racing to rock racing to cross country racing, it seems that the desert classes have without a doubt as much or more factory support in the UTV classes than any other form of racing and with these ever increasing numbers of racers showing up at every race i wonder why the payouts are so low. alot of the other series i follow have better payouts with less factory involvement and fewer turn outs. these rock races, sponsors and donors put together some overwhelming payouts. these guys race up 2 or 3 hills a total of 60 seconds of race time total for a $15,000 purse and a few bounty hills this year have exceeded $5,000 payouts for climbing 1 hill. you run the risk of damaging your machine but the hill killers rarely ever destroy a machine. this desert racing DOES destroy a machine. you gotta rebuild the whole machine every race if you even remotely plan on being competetive. the cost VS reward in this desert racing seems awfully upside down, you must just have to really want to do it because gosh its expensive and the winning pot is so little you cant even cover your fuel bill.

if it was my baby to handle, i would be lobbying for more sponsors like Coca-Cola BFGoodrich and Redbull and Monster heck even car dealerships. These sponsors give sponsorship in some forms to individual racers but what if you were able to get them to sponsor the whole series like General Tire does. like Tecate was doing with the Score races. i think the individual racers want to gain sponsorships for themselves to help offset the costs. What about lobbying to these sponsors to give to the whole series. make the whole series gain more publicity and start drawing in more big name sponsors. I know when Mad Media is planning the World Championship and Mint400 they call in to Monster to try to gain sponsorships. They try and market the publicity that these big events will bring in to sell a "spot" to monster and other big name companies. I get the same packet every year with vendor and sponsorship packages. you would be absolutely amazed at what some of these big companies are paying just for the publicity packages to be set up at these two big races. the only real problem is, these two big races and the publicity it brings is a result of Mad Media and UTVUG, all that money from big sponsors goes in Mad Medias pocket and not back to the series or payouts for racers. BIG money, sponsors lay down big money for the publicity. Mad Media has done an amazing job at making those two big races big. Polaris stepping up and giving the winners a brand new RZR and sponsorship packages ect. this kinda support from sponsors and vendors wouldnt happen without someone working behind the scenes to draw in the big sponsors and big vendors. yes i understand Mad Media does a tremendous amount of leg work putting these events together and it makes them big and draws a big crowd. but all it takes is an idea and someone thats willing to work at it and you can make the whole BITD series as big as those individual races. and rather than pulling in 7figures worth of sponsorship money for publicity on one race, have the sponsors putting that into race payouts. with big race payouts you will draw a crowd thats double what it is now.

a few years back there was this wealthy guy who wanted to impress his friends with a party at his house. he paid for a nice band to come set up in his back yard. he decided he wanted to hold some mud races in his back yard (large acreage) and so he contacted the mud race series and told the promoter "i wanna have a race at my place whatever your typical payouts are i will double them i want a huge event" the race promoter put the call out and flyers out. the typical mud races brought 4 classes and about 30-40 racers total. this race, with just double the money that it normally has, brought out over 200 racers. folks coming out of the woodworks from maryland and canada all the way down to alabama. a promoter who made some calls and had double the payouts to work with, quadrupled the turn out of their normal races.

i think if you could get a few big name sponsors to jump on board with BITD and really promote it you could draw crowds that would overwhelm what you can imagine now. you would need a real set of rules, folks to hold those rules, and turn BITD into a serious race series that is bigger than you can imagine from what you have seen in the past. some folks love racing, desert racing is awesome, and there are tons of folks i bet that have raced in the past and got out of it because of bickering or money got slim or there are cross country racers that havent stepped into desert racing because of the cost and little payouts arent going to draw them in. you get some big name sponsors in with money going to payouts and you will draw in droves of folks, past racers, new racers, and have every races as big as the Mint400

You said allot in this post. I will comment of the sponsorship sides of things. Its not up tot he racer to find the big Series sponsors to make big class payouts. That's the responsibility of the Series Promoter. In this case Desert racing has never been about big payouts to the racers. Desert racing is a rich mans sport, just like sail boat (Yacht) racing is. Also the cost to put on a desert race is 1000X that of some mud hill race in Alabama. Those are held on some private property somewhere. Desert racing is held on State and Federally owned and managed land. BIG Difference!

Like you said if this was your baby you would be out looking for that next big sponsor. Score & BITD do that all the time, and like them when you land one, you are going to take a large portion of that money, and put it in your account. After all its your series and you found the sponsor. Your not going to do all that, cater to that sponsor, make sure they are happy with all your promotion of them, just to turn the money over to the racer! Sure you might have a portion go into to a end of year Championship purse, or add it to to the race winners awards. Just as BFG, Ford, General Tire etc.. have for years in both BITD and Score.

If the racer wants more money then the racer is going to have to go out and find their own sponsorship. And right now the UTV class is the easiest class to get sponsorship in compared to most other classes, its almost like fishing in a barrel. And I know, as for most of my racing career we were sponsor funded, so I know how hard or easy it can be.

Last edited:

the stripping shop

Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
Nikal finally nailed after all that UTVRA/BITD are out for there selves. Rules are made because sponsors paid. Desert racing rich man sport so why in the crap are you worried about rules then. Wait a second you just said you don't want history to repeat it self right. Well what has change to make history not repeat it self is the question. Do you really think sealed motor/ stupid rules is going to change anything on the way its ran. Obviously this sport is glory check nikal history. You can make the utv great and move forword with big pays but not UTVRA clock.

Reactions: JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Just so there is no confusion... UTVUnderground.com and Mad Media do NOT line pockets with money from these two races. BITD gets every cent of every entry fee plus a hefty fee from us to put the race on. We collect on the sponsorships then we pay for TV, the event in general, merchandise, parties, location fees, etc etc etc. if you knew what I made on the utvwc you would ask WTF are you wasting your time for....

Racing politics takes all the fun out of this for me. All I hear is blah blah blah blah with no action.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009

Me! Which is pretty much what I ran in Vegas to Reno....and from an OEM point of view, it's always attractive to the factories to race a vehicle that is as close to what is on the showroom floor as possible - it drives sales, as consumers want to own the vehicle that wins races. Highly modified vehicles don't appeal as much because most consumers can't put that kind of money into a vehicle to make it perform the same way.

10 years ago, a stock class wouldn't have cleared checkpoints - however, the industry has evolved and the machines coming out now are very capable of racing in a "stock" class in the desert, IMO.

I would love to see a Prod 1000 "stock" class in BITD. And I would love to see it managed properly, and not allowed to get out of hand. This is the only class that could truly showcase what a manufacturer is putting on the showroom floors.

Reactions: jajl22 and JoeyD23

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Is every production vehicle allowed in the stock class? Turbo and N/A in the same class? 72 inch wide X3 against YXZ? As someone who loves desert riding and racing there isnt many stock utes I would want to spend hours beating through the desert in. I also hate having to run stock ecu's that go in to limp mode all the time to save me from myself.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
IMO that stock UTV feeder class should not be in BITD. BITD is not a feeder series. BITD and Score are considered the two Big Dogs. The top two off-road Series in North America. Take away the cost of the vehicle and just look at the cost to run in both of those series. That alone will out budget your entry level, new blood teams that you are talking about.

This is why we have series like MORE, AVE, CODE, and the little unknown, very cool D38 series. These are series, where budget minded racers or new blood should be starting. It also gives them a place to learn and perfect their driving skills and durability of their equipment.
This is what I was thinking exactly. Our first race was not BITD. The entry cost alone would have scared us away. We raced a local race that only required a few safety things. We barely finished that 50 mile race on a broken axle and a prayer. But it got us hooked and the rest is history. If we had tried to race something like the Mint or V2R we would have left beat down and discouraged, never to return like many other cars I have seen race only once then never show up again. If someone wants to test the waters with a mostly stock machine then there are better venues.

Cory, you are a special case. You have years of racing experience under your belt. That experience played a big part of your great results at V2R I'm sure. Had the average Joe with a UTV tried that...

I do think that at the UTVWC it would be awesome to have a stock class. With low entry fees and a decent payout I think it would draw a lot of people to give it a go. But that is a unique race compared to the rest of BITD or SCORE. Maybe a class with no veteran racers from any series so that some first timer doesn't try to keep up with an experienced wheel man.

Reactions: tatum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000