How will the Turbo Maverick affect UTV racing?

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

• Total voters

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
The writing was on the wall and Joey was able to read it.

I for one didn't think it would become this big of an issue but i am not involved in racing anymore so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway.

Reactions: JoeyD23

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
So here we are 2 years later. LOl. Now should the rules allow the teams with Turbo Cars to Boost and Tune them up to really get this Shit in High Gear.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well now there are 2 classes for the UTVs we can have some real fun I think now by allowing the Turbo cars the ability to Tune and build them up to really run hard. Golf Cart days are Gone. They will be Impressive to see Blowing by other Classes.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
At the Blue Water, Cory was talking about possibly going to sealed motors but opening up the ECUs. He hadn't nailed it down for sure yet but he was asking some drivers their opinions.
This is correct and from my understanding this will be the new rules for 2017
It would be nice for those teams without speed dial to the factory to discover (firsthand) the 2017 rules when everyone else does for some semblance of fairness in the sport.
I can't remember how many times something 'groundbreaking' was revealed here by one of the top teams (more often than not Simms to his credit) just so that every other potential racer in the field could possibly have a 'chance' of receiving the same valuable time-sensitive information.

While realizing that "that other thread" is obviously WAAAAAAY more than top 1900 racers can possibly wrap their minds around or heaven forbid (publicly) comment upon...it is 'nice' that the flea-bitten schlubbs at the lower level of this sport are thrown 'a bone' every once in a while concerning what in the blazes they will either be frantically building early tomorrow morning or racing against very soon.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
The only reason they'd alter the rules now is because someone is getting pressure from Polaris because of the recall situation. I mean the only way that the evil empire is going to compete with the can am is to unlock the ecu to delete the speed limiters and give the team the ability to have it flashed.Here's a question, how do all of the Polaris race teams have 0 issues with their cars, while the average joe can't even drive a car that THEYRE PAYING FOR?

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"...The only reason they'd alter the rules now is because someone is getting pressure from Polaris because of the recall situation. I mean the only way that the evil empire is going to compete with the can am is to unlock the ecu to delete the speed limiters and give the team the ability to have it flashed.."
It would be nice if 'someone' received pressure of 'some kind' due to the average Joe receiving (violating) pressure of a different kind through their recent Polaris purchase.

"...A question, how do all of the Polaris race teams have 0 issues with their cars, while the average joe can't even drive a car that THEYRE PAYING FOR?
Answer:
None of them have any problem whatsoever fibbing as to how they only race the same OEM parts coming off of the same assembly line as ours (at the same time) or their NextDayAir/race trailer stocked access to previously vetted parts which actually work.
When you don't have to listen to your drivetrain rumble nastily every single time that you flip the switch?
You're not worried about the rest of the UTV world (average Joes) switching brands due to that one very simple issue not to mention far too many more (endlessly discussed here) to list.

Reactions: mearsman

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
The only reason they'd alter the rules now is because someone is getting pressure from Polaris because of the recall situation. I mean the only way that the evil empire is going to compete with the can am is to unlock the ecu to delete the speed limiters and give the team the ability to have it flashed.Here's a question, how do all of the Polaris race teams have 0 issues with their cars, while the average joe can't even drive a car that THEYRE PAYING FOR?
Don't most of the turbo Polaris cars move the radiator and intercooler? No overheating issues when the two are separated.

They also probably have a nice supply of clutches too. Lol!

How does Can Am remove the speed limiter without cracking into the ECU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
By rebuilding their machines from the ground up. Even in short course you will be hard put to find a RZR racing that hasn't replaced almost all of their suspension components with aftermarket parts.

Reactions: jajl22 and XPirate

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
The Limiting Factor still being the Rubber band sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Ive been hoping the rules would change to sealed motor with an after market turbo allowed. Be good to see all four manufacturers competing in one class. A YXZ with a turbo might be the ticket. Non turbo cars should be able to compete in the turbo class any way. Like in SCORE.

Reactions: sand shark

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Wait until Robby Gordon and Max Gordon show up with a N/A Wildcat 3 cylinder and check into N/A Class.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
there are 3 wildcats signed up for the baja 1000 in the turbo class.

Mike cafro and Lambert with cognito run the turbo class for the challenge in their NA cars. the wildcats may show up with their new NA motor and see what it does against the turbos. or, they may be debuting the new turbo car. i guess we will find out more in the upcoming month.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Maybe getting his Machine Gun ready for the knife fight.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
I can't remember how many times something 'groundbreaking' was revealed here by one of the top teams (more often than not Simms to his credit) just so that every other potential racer in the field could possibly have a 'chance' of receiving the same valuable time-sensitive information..
The thing about this is that the racers that are proactive are the ones in the know. It doesn't matter if you are factory sponsored, can am, polaris, yamaha or whatever. Sure Cory is the soul rule maker. It does seem at times that there isn't much transparency. There are some faults with that, but anyone that is willing to talk to him will get whatever information they need AND what Cory is thinking about doing in the future. In fact the rules say to contact him BEFORE the start of any build. If you aren't consulting the rules before building a car then there is no one to blame except yourself. Cory still tries to make concessions for people to run because he knows what it takes to even get to that point but every time he give a list of things that better be fixed the next race. We probably had 100 emails with him about our build to make sure everything was in compliance. When someone challenged our build he simply let us know they had, took a 2 second look at our car and said we were good to go because we were pro active. We asked him all along about what the rules would be regarding the turbos and he gave us the information we needed to plan what class to build for. The UTV rules change because new technology is constantly being introduced. Simple as that. Cory has asked racers what they want and I believe he is listening.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I am ignorant on this topic.

What is the stock speed limiter in the XPT at and what is it at in the X3 XRS?

Does increasing tire size over stock allow for you to go faster on GPS while still having stock ecu settings?

Wonder if Polaris turned up the speed limiter in the 2017 that is claiming more HP then the X3 XRS?

Not trying to start a pissing match, these are sincere questions and food for thought for me.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
At the Blue Water, Cory was talking about possibly going to sealed motors but opening up the ECUs. He hadn't nailed it down for sure yet but he was asking some drivers their opinions.
Sealed engines are wack. Anyone who has ever raced a spec class knows this. look at trophy carts. The winning teams buy 10 engines, dyno 10 engines, seal the ones making the most HP and selling off the rest. No to mention pay a Premium to 1 engine builder to do this. I only trust one engine guy....how do I know some slap dick is going to over torque the the crank journals and cause bearing issues.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Sealed engines are wack. Anyone who has ever raced a spec class knows this. look at trophy carts. The winning teams buy 10 engines, dyno 10 engines, seal the ones making the most HP and selling off the rest. No to mention pay a Premium to 1 engine builder to do this. I only trust one engine guy....how do I know some slap dick is going to over torque the the crank journals and cause bearing issues.
This ^^^^^
Cognito already proved that hp isn't everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000