All UTV's Help for Camber and toe for front & rear

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
In general I am looking for what the best settings are for Camber and Toe for both the front and rear.

I would think there are some general starting points on setting for these. For any SxS.

Here is the deal, I have a Commander XT and just got the TurnkeyUTV +3 LT installed.

Front Camber
Starting with the front I can now adjust the camber any time I want and it is cambered in a bit more than I think it should but not sure what the best camber is.

Front Toe
I have found with the stock suspention 3/8" toe in was perfect. Any less and it would wander a little at high speeds and any more it would over correct and slow me down. So I think that should be the same now.

Rear Camber
This is a area that unfortunately did not turn out and I would really like to hear what the racers are doing here (if there are not guarded secrets). I will be taking it back apart tomarrow to try to get it correct on both sides.

Rear Toe
This is also a area that did not turn out correct by any measure and is a must to correct before driving. The left rear is very different then the right so I will be getting out the grinder in the morning and taking out the plates that just got welded in yesterday. I will then be setting the toe and camber on the rear with the bolt and then re-welding in a plate to make it run stright and not throw off the alignment.
I was told you want a toe in on the rear as well as the front and had never heard this before today and need to know how much is a good amount.
Right now I am looking at 1/2" in, just on the left rear :eek: and 1/4" in, on the right. To much for me and so time to cut grind and weld. Not that I have a welder but I will deal with that when I get there.

So any help on what I should be shooting for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Bryan

karter44

2013 WORCS 850 CHAMPION
May 9, 2010
You would think the builder of this kit would have it figured out before sending them out!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
it depends on what your going to do with the car as well, we set up many cars differently due to it's purpose. short course car is setup different than a dezert car for example.

0 toe rear and 1/8" in, in front, camber about 2-5 degrees at ride height. front castor about 5-7 degrees at ride height. more castor in front ie.. 8-12 will be more stable at high speed, but will turn like crap. for short course you can set more toe out and will turn tightly, but drift at high speeds some.

if the castor is way off the car will not do well at speed. ie to verticle 0-3

there are many variables when setting up a car, not all are the same or general settings really.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
You would think the builder of this kit would have it figured out before sending them out!
Maybe but adjusting the camber in front is new to the SxS world in the hands of your basic recreational users. And setting the rear toe really shold be set at the factory and so again this is not something recreational rider have adjusted and racers had there own ajustments.

I guess what I am saying I am happy this is one of the first kits that has any way at all to adjust some of this stuff. And being one of the first to install the kit we will give feedback so they have it for the next guy.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
it depends on what your going to do with the car as well, we set up many cars differently due to it's purpose. short course car is setup different than a dezert car for example.

0 toe rear and 1/8" in, in front, camber about 2-5 degrees at ride height. front castor about 5-7 degrees at ride height. more castor in front ie.. 8-12 will be more stable at high speed, but will turn like crap. for short course you can set more toe out and will turn tightly, but drift at high speeds some.

if the castor is way off the car will not do well at speed. ie to verticle 0-3

there are many variables when setting up a car, not all are the same or general settings really.
Great thanks,
So maybe go with something like
Rear toe 0
Rear I/8" in on camber
(do I measure camber from bottom to top of tire difference or rim?)
Front camber 3 or 4 degrees
Front castor about 6 or 7
(castor hub mount correct? And not sure if I can adjust that with this kit.)

This look like a good starting point?
The driving I do is desert medium high to mid speeds.

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
The whole idea is to keep the tire patch on the ground. I’d take a look at the arcs the suspension swings in the three planes can vary from car-to-car, taking note of bump steer, travel, etc. That will give you an idea of where to start and what needs more or less alignment. What we use to do if possible in racing is I carried a log of all the tracks on the circuit noting my alignments and shock settings before the race. Go there and experiment before hand if possible. It’s tuff we use to spend the whole day with wrenches on the track trying different setting’s, but once mastered worth it car handles like a dream!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000