Hard to start !

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
I went to start my rhino today and it took forever to start up. It has been sitting since the OW run which is prob 3 wks or so and I was wondering what would make this happ? The fuel filter looks clean, is it likely that the valves are out of adjustment or do I have another bug ?

Lil Foot

Big Foot - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
If I let mine sit for 3 weeks, all the fuel in the bowl/lines/fuel filter/fuel pump drains back and/or evaporates..... got to crank it a bunch just to pump some fuel back in. That's why I try to start mine every 10 days or so, whether I'm using it or not.

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
ya it sounds kind of like a fuel problem, mine was doing something similar and it ended up being my fuel pump, it had a small leak.

family wagon

White Knuckled - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
Riverside
So it is one of the two things..... I will have to look into it a lil more ! thanks what is a sign that the valves need to be adjusted or is it something that is not really noticeable ?

SoCal

I'm a Toy Haulin Hooligan - UTVUnderground Approve
Jan 16, 2009
Orange Ca.
Mine too. No change after a pump change either. Im not sure what can be done other than an electric fuel pump. The FI ones dont do that.

RED06

Jan 22, 2009
I agree with the fuel issuses but I have found that a week or low on charge battery will also cause a extended crank. (not slow, extended) You may want to try a jump box or charger next time and see if that helps. Check you maint. manual for valve adjustment interval. I do not think you valves are the problem.

mikef

Big Mike - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Beaumont, Ca. (Inland Empire)
Valves arent the problem.....

More than likely the fuel issue from sitting.... Mine does it too sometimes.... An electric fuel pump will fix that if it bugs you.

Low voltage from the battery can also be a problem if you have an aftermarket CDI.... For some reason they are touchy with low voltage...

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
get a can and check your pump fuel rate when cranking the motor, if it just bearly puts out fuel, then check the vacuum line to the pump and also the line inside the pickup tube, mine had a crack in it and was hard to pump fuel, even with electric pump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000