Get Ready....

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Guess we will see when it finally gets released...what is the most recent release date rumor?

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Suppose to be released in February.

In the meantime Polaris release the new single seat XP1000 today.
I saw that...actually looks more impressive then i was originally expecting when i 1st heard about it

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I saw that...actually looks more impressive then i was originally expecting when i 1st heard about it
Pretty cool concept and car. Wheelbase is a little short for the desert and dunes. If this sells well I could see them coming out with a longer wheelbase turbo model. LOL!

I imagine the GNCC racers will love this car.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i have that set of clutches in my shop now to build a jig off of, and i can tell you that clutch is SHOT!!!! it may have actually finished the race but it was long gone. the buttons in the spyder checked out and left town a long time ago. the towers in the primary are chewed up incredibly bad. the bushing in the primary cover is so sloppy you can shake the whole top half of the primary side to side over .100". the only thing that allowed it to finish and not blow up is the steel spyder. if it had been an aluminum spyder it would have blew apart long before he finished the race. the steel spyder hammering back and forth against the towers of the primary has left the spyder crushed and the sides mangled and the entire tower of the movable sheave chewed up and scarred.

they finished the race being as easy on the machine as they could possibly be because they simply wanted to finish. had they pushed hard and ran full throttle and high RPM that clutch would have exploded a LONG time ago. i do not condone running with a clutch cover off. the RG machines run with the cover off because they cant make a belt live. i have watched from the shadows and seen them blow belts on those machines for 3 years with zero ability to make one hold a belt even with the cover off. heaven knows it wont hold a belt with the cover on. every cover they have built they explode.

(edit) this is the 225hp turbo model we are talking about. with their current tuning in the clutches, they can not and will not hold a belt so they run with the cover off to help the belt live. i plan to change this in the near future.

Last edited:

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Pretty cool concept and car. Wheelbase is a little short for the desert and dunes. If this sells well I could see them coming out with a longer wheelbase turbo model. LOL!

I imagine the GNCC racers will love this car.
Now we are talking long wheel base turbo model haha!

You are right about the wheel base...i think like you said though GNCC and maybe a new WORCS class and you could have a less expensive way to get into that style racing...radiator is already located up and out of the way so not a huge feat to make it race-able..

Reactions: sand shark

acme

Jul 21, 2015
Not a UTV but, the Ecotech powered, CVT driven, #3006 Predator buggy ran the whole way at the B1K with uncovered clutches and has raced so for a number of years. A scheduled clutch change 1/2 way and no issues other than a support dealeo between the primary and secondary broke at RM 80ish. They ran it to SF and went from a big lead to 30 mins behind. The fix took us 15 mins while the drivers stretched: We just hose clamped it out of the way and they took it off at the clutch change. No issues, no belts got a second due to the vibration from that mount putting them behind and a neo driver team down south got lost and were slow.

Only mod besides making sure the motor/trans mounts were strong and the alignment correct was their prep guy made a guard on the lower side to keep rocks out.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I’m looking forward to the reviews on the Wildcat XX. From the few I’ve spoke to that have driven it, they say it’s awesome, but most of those might be a bit biased as they are in the Robby camp. I’m surprised Joey is not going and that he is sending someone else? The long anticipated Wild Cat that we have all heard about for years! Maybe it’s a Polaris thing?
I'm not going because I am getting paid to go to King Of The Hammers and I have never missed a KOH since the first time I attended 10 years ago lol. I will wait until we get a demo unit to drive it. KOH is much more important to me personally right now. Not to mention Tuesday I will fly via helo from KOH to Chad Ragland's service so another reason I would send someone else to cover the intro.

Reactions: Glamisfan

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I would say that Husky, Kobalt, Craftstman and Harbor Freight are all on par with each other these days. They are all probably made in the same factory in China.

I too can't wait to see the new WIdcat XX. The motor will be solid as it is a Yamaha motor. Let's just hope that Textron surrounds the car with better quality than the Wildcats of past. Still think Textron would be wise to release the turbo model first to get people fired up.

The new Polaris video is a good tease and I would guess they are just releasing that single seat XP or whatever they will call it. A lot of the sponsored racers and sponsored people got to take out for a spin several months ago.

Polaris I think is still cleaning house and dealing with the fallout of the recall stuff. They have to clean that up before you can release some new platform. I got a letter in the mail from Polaris and CPSC saying something about fire hazards and make sure you get your recalls done a few weeks ago.
Polaris certainly did some house cleaning over a year ago but have had a solid team in place in the ORV department since then. What they did do was take a big hard look internally to figure out where things went wrong. They then put into motion a plan to get back to the basics and return to the foundation for which they built RZR upon.

The launch you see today, while not earth shattering for those simply wanting to continue to see the battle on paper continue, is a huge move in the direction for which they left off. And thats introducing more new platforms further diversifying their lineup.

I can all but tell you that this isn't the only thing we will see in the near future from Polaris. While they still maintain a dominant #1 in sales, and the RZR XP Turbo is still a very worth adversary to the X3 in all respects, perception within the southwest sport market and other areas where sport dominates, is that the X3 is the flavor of the month and they want / expect to see RZR respond with a one-upper model. I think the challenge within is, do they really need to one up it? Is the X3 hurting market share that much? In the grand scheme of things NO, but this is the company that not only put the sport UTV market in motion but also dominated it for many many years. They do not like being second fiddle whether that be figuratively speaking or perception wise.

While everyone seems to hold Polaris to sometimes unattainable expectations, its funny that you don't see the same pressure placed upon the other brands who are still extremely far behind Polaris and even Can-Am. Its kind of like the Patriots in football. It doesn't matter that they dominated for the past 15 years, if they have one bad year you see all of the haters come out and pile on and if they respond with a decent year it isn't enough unless of course they win the Super Bowl again. Even then, everyone who feels the need to not give credit where its due, will find a reason to try and bring them down. Think the patriots care about those guys? No way.. you can't pay attention to that crap. You just have to keep doing what you do to accomplish the goals you place on yourself.

At the end of the day, I think we will see Polaris bounce back stronger than ever over the course of the next two years. Perception in our sport world may not always reflect that because they finally have some legit competition in the segment with the X3. But as long as sales climb like they are now, and recalls are eliminated, fire concerns dissipate, then we can all get back to arguing over who makes the best clutch and who will win the Baja 1000! lol

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It was nine months ago, and I have a hard time putting a memory from that long ago into words. It was fun. It felt like a small single seat buggy. We couldn’t tell at the time if it was 60 inches wide or 64 inches. So I’m glad to see that it is 64. But I’m disappointed in that 83 inch wheelbase. It won’t do well through the desert whoops with that short of a wheel base.

Honestly, at the price that they’re asking for it, I would’ve really considered it over getting my XP turbo just as a vehicle to hold me over for 2 to 5 years until something with a real transmission comes out. Because I already had my XPT at the time to compare to, and it was fairly close in the fun factor.
I was bummed they shortened the chassis for many reasons. One, for the wheel base and stability in whoops like you described. Two, for the stance and looks, and three, for the fact that because of its stocky chassis, you can't fit a factory turbo layout in it without lengthening the frame rails. The new Tomahawk engine is packed in there really tight.

Its going to be a tricky machine to modify cage wise due to the integrated intakes on the roof of the cage. But it will be doable and hopefully we will be tackling this rather quickly!

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Any plus or minus to the Tomahawk engine as it compares to the Prostar that usually comes in the XP1K's?

I am not super familiar with the polaris engine packages

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Any plus or minus to the Tomahawk engine as it compares to the Prostar that usually comes in the XP1K's?

I am not super familiar with the polaris engine packages
Its pretty much the same thing from what I saw visually. I will see if I can get the skinny on actual differences. I can tell you, this thing accelerates like a turbo. Its a very deceiving 110hp.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Polaris certainly did some house cleaning over a year ago but have had a solid team in place in the ORV department since then. What they did do was take a big hard look internally to figure out where things went wrong. They then put into motion a plan to get back to the basics and return to the foundation for which they built RZR upon.

The launch you see today, while not earth shattering for those simply wanting to continue to see the battle on paper continue, is a huge move in the direction for which they left off. And thats introducing more new platforms further diversifying their lineup.

I can all but tell you that this isn't the only thing we will see in the near future from Polaris. While they still maintain a dominant #1 in sales, and the RZR XP Turbo is still a very worth adversary to the X3 in all respects, perception within the southwest sport market and other areas where sport dominates, is that the X3 is the flavor of the month and they want / expect to see RZR respond with a one-upper model. I think the challenge within is, do they really need to one up it? Is the X3 hurting market share that much? In the grand scheme of things NO, but this is the company that not only put the sport UTV market in motion but also dominated it for many many years. They do not like being second fiddle whether that be figuratively speaking or perception wise.

While everyone seems to hold Polaris to sometimes unattainable expectations, its funny that you don't see the same pressure placed upon the other brands who are still extremely far behind Polaris and even Can-Am. Its kind of like the Patriots in football. It doesn't matter that they dominated for the past 15 years, if they have one bad year you see all of the haters come out and pile on and if they respond with a decent year it isn't enough unless of course they win the Super Bowl again. Even then, everyone who feels the need to not give credit where its due, will find a reason to try and bring them down. Think the patriots care about those guys? No way.. you can't pay attention to that crap. You just have to keep doing what you do to accomplish the goals you place on yourself.

At the end of the day, I think we will see Polaris bounce back stronger than ever over the course of the next two years. Perception in our sport world may not always reflect that because they finally have some legit competition in the segment with the X3. But as long as sales climb like they are now, and recalls are eliminated, fire concerns dissipate, then we can all get back to arguing over who makes the best clutch and who will win the Baja 1000! lol
I have no doubt Polaris will have something new to offer in the sport market. The Can Am X3 is great machine, but absent the RS 72" model the other models are not head and shoulders better than the Turbo XP. I have always said that. The RS is a duners dream with the wheelbase, width and suspension. It also seem the Max version is selling a lot more as I see lots of them in Glamis. It would be nice if Can Am took a page from Polaris and made things a lot easier to work on. A simple oil change Can Am has turned into a pain in the ass mess.

Reactions: JoeyD23

spangs

IlliNOISE - UTVUnderground Approved
May 25, 2009
illinois
www.spangsfab.com
Now we are talking long wheel base turbo model haha!

You are right about the wheel base...i think like you said though GNCC and maybe a new WORCS class and you could have a less expensive way to get into that style racing...radiator is already located up and out of the way so not a huge feat to make it race-able..

GNCC would have this in the Ace class single seat. You have to have a co driver in all SXS classes. WORKS and other series that do not require a co driver it should do really good. Already have a couple guys crying about someone showing up in one for the local series as you don't need a co driver.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i looked at the specs. 1380lbs for the RS1. so where is it at. and why is it so heavy. the arctic cat 700trail is under 1000lbs. the RS1 would be a complete rocket ship at 10-1 power to weight ratio if it was 110hp and 1100lbs. but what happened that put it at nearly 1400? i mean, a can-am commander with bumpers and all is 1530. did they put lead in the frame rails of the RS1 to keep it on the ground?

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Not a UTV but, the Ecotech powered, CVT driven, #3006 Predator buggy ran the whole way at the B1K with uncovered clutches and has raced so for a number of years. A scheduled clutch change 1/2 way and no issues other than a support dealeo between the primary and secondary broke at RM 80ish. They ran it to SF and went from a big lead to 30 mins behind. The fix took us 15 mins while the drivers stretched: We just hose clamped it out of the way and they took it off at the clutch change. No issues, no belts got a second due to the vibration from that mount putting them behind and a neo driver team down south got lost and were slow.

Only mod besides making sure the motor/trans mounts were strong and the alignment correct was their prep guy made a guard on the lower side to keep rocks out.

And its 2wd....the front tires on a UTV throw a constant barrage of material...thats probably why it works on those mini buggies

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I for one am waiting to see one in the dealership that i can crawl all over haha!

I think people are going to be surprised when they actually see the size of these things...based on the specs it is not some quad with a roll cage...it is truly a single seat XP1K with only a 7" shorter wheelbase and will look the part in person

Reactions: JoeyD23 and spangs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000