Get Ready....

dmcmark

Apr 20, 2012
Lets face it CVT drives have not changed significantly in 35 years. Taken from snowmobiles and slapped on a utv is not the long term fix. Ok I like my belt drive and it actually amazes me how well they actually do hold up. It's time for the manufactures to step up. Design the clutch to be much more robust based on the application, then go about designing the engine and tranny package to fit the robust design. What that number would be, 20%, 30%, 50% or more is subject to testing and design criteria, but you would think that the big three would have the engineering prowess to make it happen.
Regards,

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
It is no big deal when you loose a Harbor Freight tool in the desert or dunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly!!!

My entire tool bag that i leave in the RZR is made up of Harbor Freight tools...I have handed those bad boys out like candy to fellow duners and camp buddies out and about with no fear!

They have personally saved a YXZ and Can Am Maverick XDS from certain doom haha!

But then again i have also personally witnessed a brand new 1/4" ratchet and 3" extension fresh out of the package twist up like a curly Q with just the turn of a wrist...it was actually hilarious.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Exactly!!!

My entire tool bag that i leave in the RZR is made up of Harbor Freight tools...I have handed those bad boys out like candy to fellow duners and camp buddies out and about with no fear!

They have personally saved a YXZ and Can Am Maverick XDS from certain doom haha!

But then again i have also personally witnessed a brand new 1/4" ratchet and 3" extension fresh out of the package twist up like a curly Q with just the turn of a wrist...it was actually hilarious.
When a friend and I we're helping a paraplegic change a CV in his mini buggy in the middle of the dune his Harbor Freight Tools wouldn't get the job done. When the needle nose pliers folded to the side when squeezing something and he said he only carries Harbor Freight Tools we asked him if that's where you got his car. his made of butter allen wrench wouldn't loosen the cv bolts either. Lucky for him I had my snap on tools on me and we were able to get the car fixed. I'd rather lose a hundred dollar tool than not be able to get the job done

Reactions: BiggJim

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
Since we have gotten on to tools, anyone have a mid-price tool brand that they like? Something along the lines of what craftsman was years back?

fesco70

Nov 6, 2015
Since we have gotten on to tools, anyone have a mid-price tool brand that they like? Something along the lines of what craftsman was years back?
We have been using the Kobalt brand from Lowes and have no complaints yet. We did break a ratchet but they have a lifetime warranty and replaced it.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Not to break up the tool discussion, as i do miss the days of a decent quality mid-range tool like the craftsman of old...

Polaris dropped a new video this morning...they have a release scheduled for 2-1-18

acme

Jul 21, 2015
HF Pittsburgh brand box wrenches, 8 in 1 socket wrenches (carried them for years in the buggies), nut drivers, impact sockets, extensions, screwdrivers and allen sockets and a few other hard tools all heave been very good. Used them in 2 chase trucks, 2 jeeps, too many race cars and prerunners and the enclosed all have them and we have used them a ton. If they get lost or never returned no biggy. For ratchet wrenches, sockets, pliers and screw drivers we've had good luck with Kobalt and Husky as well as Craftsman but some Craftsman tools are no longer "lifetime" warranted. I recently took a 2 year old adjustable non digi torque wrench in and they would not warranty it at a sears or osh. We also have quite a few "ACE" branded items that have replaced MIA stuff and they seem to hold up well.

This guy helped us and a few friends over the years and is a great Baja tool...

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I’m looking forward to the reviews on the Wildcat XX. From the few I’ve spoke to that have driven it, they say it’s awesome, but most of those might be a bit biased as they are in the Robby camp. I’m surprised Joey is not going and that he is sending someone else? The long anticipated Wild Cat that we have all heard about for years! Maybe it’s a Polaris thing?

As far as tools, we used to build and supply all our chase crews with tool & pit boxes. After loosing Craftsman tools, we built the tool boxes using allot of HF/ Pittsburgh hand tools. I don’t remember a tool failure? Had a few ratchets that did not work real well, but getting dirt & sand in them was the real problem.

Years ago in the desert, sitting around the fire, one guy who was a guest of someone else’s in our group, was talking smack about HF tools and how it’s all China junk, and he said he would not use them if given free.

So the next day he breaks a stub axle bearing They limp it back to camp to change it out. On a VW trailing arm bearing housing you need snap ring pliers to pull a C clip to get the bearing out. He did not have snap ring pliers and was struggling using a screwdriver, which did not work. After spending several hours and giving up, he called it a day. The next day I let him barrow my HF snap ring pliers to fix it and get it on the trailer!

Reactions: sand shark

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I would say that Husky, Kobalt, Craftstman and Harbor Freight are all on par with each other these days. They are all probably made in the same factory in China.

I too can't wait to see the new WIdcat XX. The motor will be solid as it is a Yamaha motor. Let's just hope that Textron surrounds the car with better quality than the Wildcats of past. Still think Textron would be wise to release the turbo model first to get people fired up.

The new Polaris video is a good tease and I would guess they are just releasing that single seat XP or whatever they will call it. A lot of the sponsored racers and sponsored people got to take out for a spin several months ago.

Polaris I think is still cleaning house and dealing with the fallout of the recall stuff. They have to clean that up before you can release some new platform. I got a letter in the mail from Polaris and CPSC saying something about fire hazards and make sure you get your recalls done a few weeks ago.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
That is a great story NIKAL...funny how some people are...i for one would have came over, offered you a beer and let you take pictures of me using the tool i swore off the night before at the campfire...haha!

I think you are right...it is going to be the single seat vehicle the pictures were leaked off couple months back...

I am hearing rumors of a fully redesigned RZR coming out in July around dealer show time...again just rumors.

Very interested in the new Wildcat XX and what is actually released to the public vs what was on the Robby Speed Cat and race cars.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here are a couple of Instagram videos of the preproduction Wildcat XX. Was told the long travel kit as shown in these two videos will be an upgrade option, like how Can Am has the RS long travel model. Don’t know all the details, but it sounded like the long travel kits will be built out of Robby Gordon shop, and not some factory production line. But would be installed by Textron when assembled. Again not sure how much of that is accurate as I heard that months ago. It would be part of Robby’s & Todd Ramono’s Speed Cat line of parts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcx5NnHneej/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdnM_ZPHMob/?hl=en

Romero Racing Instagram has lots of WildCat XX pictures, including a Green preproduction model that is going to be used at KOTH next week.

I’m wondering if the clutch is going to be the weak link? I’ve noticed they run with the cover off allot. Have the

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I like the look of them, just waiting to see what makes it onto the production units and what is a an upgrade/aftermarket cost..or if they make multiple lines of production units like Can Am did with the X3

wshoemaker757

Jan 31, 2018
Looks a lot like the x3. But the x3 also looks a lot like the wildcat x. Which was a great concept, more like an open wheel car which let's us have more travel and bigger tires with ease.

I heard somebody stole the new wildcat prototype from RG's shop. Something like $12k for I formation leading up to the arrest of whoever took it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
You dont need the cover on unless you're submerging the belt in water/mud. They're running without because its one less thing to take off when/if they have to repair or adjust anything.

The XX will use the same style clutches the sleds are running, Adam can tell you big clutches = acceleration. The turbo guys are going to be surprised at how well it holds its own.

The Large number of axle failures are coming from the 77" long travel get 4 speed is producing and working out currently, the 64" model the axle failures are few and far between.

The production car is badass. Handles flat, soaks up whoops and has a TON of new things you won't find in a typical OEM sxs.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
You dont need the cover on unless you're submerging the belt in water/mud. They're running without because its one less thing to take off when/if they have to repair or adjust anything.

The XX will use the same style clutches the sleds are running, Adam can tell you big clutches = acceleration. The turbo guys are going to be surprised at how well it holds its own.

The Large number of axle failures are coming from the 77" long travel get 4 speed is producing and working out currently, the 64" model the axle failures are few and far between.

The production car is badass. Handles flat, soaks up whoops and has a TON of new things you won't find in a typical OEM sxs.
I can tell you first hand....if you dont run a cover in the desert your clutches wont last long.

Reactions: ///Airdam Clutches

fortune46x

Aug 1, 2013
Iowa
I can tell you first hand....if you dont run a cover in the desert your clutches wont last long.
Not doubting yours or anyone's experience - Romero bro's ran the entire b1k with the same clutches uncovered,

The application is different than previous cars so a new setup that no one here has drove may mean different situations then previously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000