Garage floor advice?????

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
So we are getting ready to move into our new pad and I'm contemplating treating the garage and shop floors before we move in.... What is you opinion??? I've been looking at doing and Epoxy coating, with or without the paint chips.... Also thought about staining the concrete. I've even heard of polishing the concrete???? Anyways, looking for opinions from people that have done it, or are looking into doing it too. Good and Bad are welcomed, also any tips would be appreciated, this will be a DIY project, a guy at the home show quoted me $4 a sq ft, don't have that kinda money :(

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i love this topic. i did the acid wash and epoxy grey without chips last time. im thinking about the giant checkered squres from fast track maybe next time. dont forget the bigscreen with wireless direct tv, and a kegerator full of pacifico. and a good stereo. :cool:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
First question is what do you use your garage for? Parking cars, Storage or do you use it as a work shop? The reason I asked is a friend spent allot of money getting his 3 car garage floor epoxy coated, only to find out the metal chop saw and welding sparks left burn marks on his floor. I never thought about it before and I guess he did not either. When he called the company to come out and look at it they said it was not the epoxy that was damaged, but the second clear coating they apply on top of the epoxy color coating.

Now with that said I know someone else who has their floors epoxy coated and has not had any issues. So maybe there is a difference in material used that will not burn or spot?

It was suggested to me if you were going to use your garage as a work shop to just used a concrete sealer. It will not beautify your garage floor, but will keep if from staining and it is cheap compared to epoxy. The idea is to keep any grease & oil from soaking in and staining the concrete. The down side is you need to re-apply every year or so depending on usage. Was told all you do is pour it on the floor and use a paint roller on a broom handle to roll it around, so it shouldn't be to hard to re-apply and it drys clear. I have yet to do any of this, so I cant give you any real world experience if the concrete sealer works as well.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I Will be eating off this floor, woops, meant working on this floor.... probably will do most of the metal work stuff outside, if I do any.... Hopefully the garage is a "showroom" and the shop will be a shop, equipped fully with surround, tv, fridge, tools, SxS's, might as well throw a bed in too cause I have a feeling the misses will be kicking me out there if I spend as much as I want to :eek:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
LOL. I hear you. I just started a radio controlled rock crawler build. And a full size rock crawler build. Both toyotas. My wife is pissed. Last time it was a jeep crawler build. And a rc jeep build. I live in my garage as well.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Here are some ideas
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tcPi-BIOg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tcPi-BIOg[/ame]

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I use my shop so bare concrete is all I need, I did the epoxy to my old house and welding, grinding and such just ruined the finish.
If I was doing a entertainment area or just light work I would stain the concrete after having it ground.

Brian lee Rhino450

Mar 7, 2013
Tuscola tx. BFE
That pic was a year and a half ago right after the house was built. It looks nothing like that now. I just posted it to show how good plain old concrete paint can look. Kinda hard to find those shitty rhino fasteners with that paint job though when they hit the floor here is how it looks today. Still works for me for the 40 bucks in paint i have in it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000